Corrupt file 'data_lis.chk' - unable to backup

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340 IQ Routes
Hi,

I have a new TomTom XL 340 IQ Routes gps. I recently used my '30 day map guarantee' to update to the latest map.

The map updated to the newest version, but afterwards when I tried to do a backup from within TomTom Home, the backup failed due to the file 'data_lis.chk' being corrupted. I also attempted a manual backup, but Windows reported that the file 'data_lis.chk' was corrupted and unreadable.

I have been in communication with TomTom Support to try to fix this corruption so I can do a backup, but after explaining all of this and 4 days of delays while sending system info and a copy of my receipt to the support person, I ended up with the reply stating "You already have the latest map available installed on your device. If you have any further queries please let me know."

Obviously the support person hasn't bothered to read all of my original support request, so I'm asking here if anyone knows how to fix a corruption in the 'data_lis.chk' file.

I have previously done a manual backup without any problem, so I could always restore that to the gps, but of course that backup does not contain the new map. The 30 day map guarantee is just about to pass the 30 day mark, so I won't be able to update the map again if this drags on much longer.

Thanks,

Phil Wright

For starters, two things.......if you used the Latest Map Guarantee to update your map, then the updated map (in zipped format) IS on your computer. Secondly, if indeed you have used the latest map guarantee, well, you only get one kick at the can, so to speak, so you aren't entitled to another, anyway.

Next, it seems you DID do a manual backup. I hope that means using Explorer, and hidden files/folders are showing.

So, first............

Use Home to look for items on my computer. Do you see maps? If so, click on the 'more info' link to ensure it is the correct (updated) version.

If all that is ok so far, then know this.......

Files ending in .chk are misinterpreted by Windows as being recovered file segments. They are NOT. In the Linux world, data files ending in .chk are quite different and necessary for proper operation of your unit.

So.........

As long as you have the updated map on your computer, use Explorer to delete EVERYTHING from the unit.

Once that is done, connect the unit to Home. It should recognize the application is missing to provide it. Accept it, dl and install.

Now, use Home to Add Maps. You should see your map listed as being on the computer.

Click on 'install'. Once that is done, you should be back and running.

Now, make another EXPLORER backup to a different folder.

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate the clear and detailed instructions.

I updated the map on my father-in-law's computer (he's on broadband, I'm stuck on dialup) so I'll have to wait until I can get over to his place to get the zipped map file and follow your instructions. I assume the zipped map will be in the TomTom program folder somewhere.

I do have hidden and system files visible - that's one of the first things I change when I install Windows.

I was hoping that TomTom might give me a second attempt at downloading the new map if I had to restore the old backup (because the first download corrupted the gps software), but if I can fix this without having to go through that argument so much the better.

Thanks again,

Phil Wright

You should find the map here:

C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map

You should be able to add the map via your own computer, as I believe your "authorization" for the map remains on your email account.

Try adding a map in HOME, and try to download the same map. Even if it has a price next to it, it may download without asking you for a credit card, if your email is authorized.

Once you downloaded the map on your computer, it should show up in:
My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map

Once confirming that it's there (maps aren't free, don't proceed unless you have this backup), you can erase all files like DHN said. My preference is a format of the tomtom drive, since it fixes any file corruption as well.

Once the drive is empty, use HOME to reinstall the latest application (8.411), then add the map, then add your voices, then you should be good to go.

Thanks for that. I'm hoping to get to my father-in-law's place sometime this week. It would be good if I could copy the new map onto my own computer and reinstall everything from there.

I'm still in contact with TomTom Support in Australia - each day they send me an email with irrelevant and/or ineffectual advice, and I respond by pointing out to them that their suggestion has nothing to do with my problem, or that I've already tried it and advised them of the fact in my original support request.

So far, TomTom Support has:

- told me that I have the newest map (I already knew that, and told them so in my first support request)

- told me how to do a manual backup (I already told them that I knew how to do a manual backup, that I had previously done a manual backup, and that I had tried to do a manual backup after the map update and that it failed because of the corrupt file)

- repeated their advice that I do a manual backup by copying the entire contents of the TomTom device and stated "One corrupt file will not stop you being able to back up all folders." Um, in my Windows XP it will - trying to copy the entire contents of the drive stops dead as soon as Windows encounters the corrupt file. I replied that it wouldn't work the way they suggested, and advised them that I can copy each file and folder in the drive individually except for the corrupt file data_lis.chk - I'm now waiting for the next response from TomTom Support.

In the middle of this process, I received an apparently automated email from TomTom Support asking me to evaluate my experience in dealing with TomTom Support. The evaluation process requires me to wait until the active support request has been finalised, so I haven't done the evaluation yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Phil

Phil, the file that you have as corrupt isn't really a big issue as this file is supplied new with each Navcore release, all you need to do is open one of the software downloads and you will be able to extract the file from the Navcore download.
What would be handy is a direct link to the current Navcore release from the servers at TomTom, I don't know the device you have too well though to guess the URL, I am sure someone else on this forum will know what it is though - Mike

I am like midealder and have no knowledge of this device.

I am going based off of TomTom FAQ 8901
Version 8.411
(TomTom XL 340 and TomTom ONE 140)
?Minor improvements

I have found two cab for 8.411
8.411.xl2009_plus_tts.CAB-navcore-ONE_XL.cab
8.411.xl2009_plus.CAB-navcore-ONE_XL.cab

Comparing the CAB Files the tts cab has the following two extra files otherwise they are the same.
\LoquendoTTS\bin\LTTS7AudioBoard.so
\LoquendoTTS\lib\LoqAudioBoard.so

Here is the file you asked for in a zip data_lis.zip since it appears you are on dial-up

Also here are the MD5 sums if you are worried about corruption.
MD5 of data_lis.zip 32F127840199348B0B3F27A1C613CDA7
MD5 of data_lis.chk 86060F46CB3FBB452690D5DD2FC30709

Malouff: Brilliant! The app version is identical to mine (I'm using the TTS one) and the data_lis.chk file you posted is exactly the same size as the file on my gps, so I just replaced the data_lis.chk file on the gps. Problem solved. Thankyou very much for tracking down the file and taking the time to extract the file from the navcore cab for me.

I do have a couple of questions though. How did you find the direct link to the navcore files on the TomTom website? I hunted around and I couldn't find anything, so it must be a matter of knowing just where to look.

I'm also idly curious about what the data_lis.chk file actually does in the TomTom - I've been using my gps while the corrupt file was present, and it still worked perfectly.

Sorry for the delay in posting my response, but I couldn't access the TomTom Forums website for a couple of days - I kept getting an Apache server error message saying I didn't have permission to access anything, so I'm guessing the server had crashed.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread. You've helped me out of a difficult situation when the official TomTom support left me wondering if I'd made a mistake in buying a TomTom. Not only did the forum fix my problem, but I also learned a few things in the process.

Phil Wright

I do have a couple of questions though. How did you find the direct link to the navcore files on the TomTom website?
If you look in your TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\program folder under My Documents you will see any downloaded NavCore in a separate folder

If you look in one of those folders you will see a TOC file
Open the file and look for <url location= it will have the URL to download that NavCore.

Also TomTom will mostly stick with a naming convencion
for the NavCore cabs.
So if you know what they tend to look like and the firmware version you can guess and try at the CAB's name.

Other than that you can do a web search.
Philstix said:
I'm also idly curious about what the data_lis.chk file actually does in the TomTom - I've been using my gps while the corrupt file was present, and it still worked perfectly.
We were mapping out files and folders back at GPS Review but I can't recall what if anything data_lis.chk is for.

Just a further update on the saga of TomTom Support in Australia:

I received another email from TomTom Support, containing a list of steps to take to correct the corrupt file. Remember, this all started because the corrupt file prevented me from doing a backup, either from within TomTom Home or manually.

The second step of TomTom Support's latest solution begins:
"IMPORTANT: Please only continue with Step 2 if you have made a complete Manual back up of your TomTom without any error messages. If you do get an error message, please contact us before continuing."

It seems to me that TomTom Support in Australia is either:
a. not reading my support requests
b. not thinking about the relevance of their response
c. not understanding the issues due to a lack of technical competence
d. all of the above.

It is also possible they are relying on an automated response system, just scanning for key words in the support request and sending back a pre-built reply. If this is the case, their system could use a little work, and a bit of intelligent human oversight wouldn't go astray either.

Either way, I can't help thinking TomTom Support in Australia is just a useless waste of time. I won't bother dealing with them again if I can avoid it. By comparison, the help I have received from people on TomTomForums.com has been wonderful. I can't thank you enough.

I'm curious, though. Is official TomTom Support on these sorts of problems as unhelpful in other parts of the world as it is in Australia?

I am about to send a final message to TomTom Support advising them that I have fixed the problem thanks to the people at TomTomForums.com. Hopefully that will be the end of this matter.

It's a crapshoot. My feeling is that it's better to call than email customer support. Further, just based upon the browsing I do in a UK based gps site, that NA support is somewhat sharper than UK support.

And.........having said that, some NA based residents have received some really stooooooooopid answers to questions from NA support while others have gotten lucky and been dealt with by CS agents who appear to be as sharp as tacks.

So, you never know..............

Ask a Question