Cannot connect to computer

I've had the Go 720 for over a year.

In the year you had it, did it successfully connect to a computer? If so, try clearflash. If that doesn't work then tomtom is probably right that the tomtom connection hardware is broken.

It you never tried connecting to a computer before then you may have one of the old 720 firmware versions. The old versions are often only readable by old tomtom home software. Try upgrading the firmware with home 1.6. It that doesn't work try having home 1.6 and 2.5 installed at the same time and try upgrading the firmware with one then the other (back and forth). If you can put a newer firmware on it (eg version 8.x) you'll eliminate the xp and home 2.5 incompatibility.

In the year you had it, did it successfully connect to a computer? If so, try clearflash. If that doesn't work then tomtom is probably right that the tomtom connection hardware is broken.

It you never tried connecting to a computer before then you may have one of the old 720 firmware versions. The old versions are often only readable by old tomtom home software. Try upgrading the firmware with home 1.6. It that doesn't work try having home 1.6 and 2.5 installed at the same time and try upgrading the firmware with one then the other (back and forth). If you can put a newer firmware on it (eg version 8.x) you'll eliminate the xp and home 2.5 incompatibility.

Home works on my computer and the 720 is working great as a GPS
BUT
There is no compatibility problem between the 720 and HOME and there is no way to upgrade the firmware.
Because
WINDOWS will not recognize the TOM TOM as a device.
It has worked perfect for over a year on three different computers. All of the sudden it stopped communicating with ANY computer.
Tom Tom technicians could not help me and would have replaced it if it had not been past warranty.

Do you have a backup of your unit's contents? If so, delete everything from the TomTom internal, reformat and restore your backup. Try that.

Do you have a backup of your unit's contents? If so, delete everything from the TomTom internal, reformat and restore your backup. Try that.

I would LOVE to do that. I DO have a backup.
BUT
Windows will not recognize the Tom Tom device. So how can I format it and how can I restore from a backup?

At present, the only thing I can do is use the RESET button. But that has not solved my problem and FORTUNATELY, it has not kept me from using the 720 as a GPS device.
I just won't be able to apply updates and make other changes like the screen savers, add/delete music and other features requiring access to the device from a computer.

Scroll back up the posts in this thread to the one I made on 02-16-08, where I provided some links for possible solutions to the problem for another user.

Can you go through those and see if there is a remedy for you?

I'm having this exact same problem to with my 720. Hopefully more people will suggest a remedy, although I think its an issue with the device.

BTW dhn: cdbbdc stated he has tried to connect the device to two other computers, and gets the same result. All the links you posted, assume its a software problem with the computer.

I'm having this exact same problem to with my 720. Hopefully more people will suggest a remedy, although I think its an issue with the device.
I'm afraid you're right. And there's the Catch 22 of needing to get the TT hooked back up to something, anything, in order to set it right.

An indicator like that from Windows is bad news. Either a key piece of the USB identification being provided by the TT is corrupt or not showing up at all. There are limitations placed upon certain things (e.g., valid vs. invalid characters in a USB device name or serial number) that, if hosed, will cause Windows to reject the attempt to make the connection. Or if some portion of the identification isn't even being sent (critical items like the Vendor ID or Product ID), ain't nuthin' gonna happen at all.

I'm trying to imagine how one could solve this. All of that sort of stuff may well be being handled by the boot loader. If so, a return to TomTom might be the only solution.

If, on the other hand, they've got the USB functionality in the reloadable firmware, inserting an SD card with a full copy of the OS on it might just cause the computer to have a look over there for the information. Could well be, as LInux has its own USB drivers. It might be possible to run the unit off the SD card and just forget the internal flash version of the code. Worth a try if there's a full backup handy on a PC (which DHN will tell you is ALWAYS the best insurance policy when you own a TT) that could be copied to the card over an SD reader or SD/USB adapter.

Have your tried a live cd with Linux on it and was it able to connect to the device?

Looking at the Google suggestions they seem to say to fix the "usb device not recognized"
1. Turn off your computer using Shut Down or pressing the power button and then UNPLUG it from the wall outlet. Let it sit for about a minute and then plug it back in. They said that the motherboard still gets power when plugged in and doing this will cause the motherboard to be "rebooted"

2. Delete ALL the "USB root hubs" and "USB controllers" then reboot, let windows find them all.

However, the above suggestions would not explain why it is not recognized on three computers.

You can also try using a different USB cable.

If none of these help then canderson does give a good idea of using a SD card so you can make modifications.

I don't really know what the ClearFlash tool is for and understand that you can't use it as you can't get it connected to your PC.

If the ClearFlash tool is designed to fix this hidden partition and possibly save a scenario like this then you would also think TomTom would make a ClearFlash program that could get loaded from a SD card.

-Good Luck

Last edited:
i can not get my 720 to connect to my computer. When my tomtom turns on, i click on yes for it to connect to my computer. However, my computer says usb device not recognized. I have tried on 2 different computers with the same result. How can i get my computer to connect to my tomtom?

check that when you connect to tomtom home under tools check preferences. This has to be set up so when it starts it automatically connects.

USB problem: TomTom bad update !

I have experienced the same problem. The 3 computers in my home don't recognize any more my TT 720. The TT 720 still works, but it's unable to connect to TomTom Home.
The problem started up after I updated the software of my TomTom Home and TT 720. For me ti's crystal clear that the problem has been originated by a bad TomTom update.
Currently my versions are:
TTHome 2.5.2.60
TT-720 Soft 8.301 ( 9736/090114) OS 244890
MAP: Western-Europe v815.2003

Could all the persons affected by this problem share your software versions with us?
If the problem comes from TT Home, it could be fixed by trying an older version. But if the problem comes from a bad firmware update, I think that TomTom should have to fix it for free
Thanks!

Well my resolution was to send it into TomTom, thankfully it was still under warranty. I had the most recent tomtom home software, and the most recent map version. (8.5, I think).

TomTom 720 USB connection issue resolved

Hi Guys

I had the same problem and reported to Tomtom support and all the efforts were in vain. They have adviced me to format my TomTom device as final solution. I did not implement the recommended solution and waited for some time... thinking I am not only the one who ownes 720 and plenty others might be facing the problem.

Finally Tomtom has released 8.300 AND 8.320 application verstion which has resolved the issue.

Regards
KK

Hi Guys

I had the same problem and reported to Tomtom support and all the efforts were in vain. They have adviced me to format my TomTom device as final solution.
How do you format a USB device that isn't recognized by the computer to which it is connected?:confused: What am I missing here? Another case of brilliant support...

I too am having similar problems connecting my Go720. It started about 3 weeks ago, after updating Home to 2.6.1.1549 and updating the maps on the Go to 825.2517. The app version on the GO is 8.302. When I turn on the Go, the PC gives an error stating the USB device is not recognized. The funny thing is that the Go does not ask anymore if I want to connect to the computer. From what I'm seeing I believe the problem is on the side of the GO, not the PC.

The only way around this is to force the error to occur, then hard reset the Go, then reconnect the Go to the PC. I have already tested the USB port and no other devices have a problem with this port. Also I have tried connecting the Go to every USB port I have and always get the same error. I don't believe it is healthy to hard reset the GO every day. After successfully connecting the Go, Control Panel states no errors exist. I have contacted TT support and am waiting to see what they say.

Have you tried this:

Backup your unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then, uninstall the application using Home. Then re-install.

There's no option in Home that I can find to uninstall. The closest thing I can find is remove items, but that's not an uninstall, and since I have Home reading SD memory, it will only see and remove the items on the card. Can you be more specific?

Do you have your application on a sd card or does it reside on the internal memory location? You had not mentioned a sd card in your previous post.

If indeed it is on the sd card, perhaps the card itself is not reliable. And, if on a sd card, then try installing on internal.

In any event, removing the application from your unit (or sd card) is what I previously referred to as uninstalling.

There's no option in Home that I can find to uninstall. The closest thing I can find is remove items, but that's not an uninstall, and since I have Home reading SD memory, it will only see and remove the items on the card. Can you be more specific?

At least in Vista, TomTom Home can be uninstalled from the Start Menu:

Click Start > All Programs > TomTom > Uninstall TomTom HOME

I've started having the same problem; I post with updates and hopefully a solution :)

To dhn,

The application resides on the base memory. The maps and voices reside on the card. My understanding was that this was OK, TT would find my content where ever it was. My question referred to how I uninstall from Home, if there is no menu item for that, which there does not appear to be.

To M51AB,

I've been instructed to uninstall the application from the unit, not uninstall Home.

Ask a Question