Cannot connect XL335s to computer

TomTom Model(s)
XL 335s
Whenever I plug the usb from my 335s into my desktop and turn the unit on I no longer get asked if I want to connect to the computer. I did not have this problem before. I re-set the tomtom(soft) and reinstalled the TomTom 2.7 software but to no avail. I also noticed that when the tomtom is turned on I cannot find it under "removable drives" or in "device manager." Can someone give me any ideas as to what's going on here?
Rob

By (soft) reset, you mean you've held the power button on the unit for 10-15 seconds? If not, try that.

Also, try a different usb port (prefereably on the back) and try a different cable.

By (soft) reset, you mean you've held the power button on the unit for 10-15 seconds? If not, try that.

Also, try a different usb port (prefereably on the back) and try a different cable.
Yes I held the power button for 15 secs. Plugged into rear usb port. I do not have a different cable to use.
Rob

Check if you have a bit of gunk in the usb connector to the unit that is preventing a proper connection.

If you are totally unable to connect to the computer (not just inability to connect to Home) then there is not much I can suggest other than the reset, which you said you did.

..maybe try with another computer????

Call support at 866-486-6866. Hope you have the unit under warranty.

If you are totally unable to connect to the computer (not just inability to connect to Home) then there is not much I can suggest other than the reset, which you said you did.

..maybe try with another computer????

Call support at 866-486-6866. Hope you have the unit under warranty.
Tried plugging usb into another computer and could not connect. Maybe I should get a replacement... after all it's only 1 week old!

Have you set a passcode on the GPS?

I've noticed that if a passcode is set, the GPS will sometimes ignore the computer.
1. Clear the passcode off the GPS using the icon in the menu (as you obviously can't access it through Home on the computer).
2. Turn off the GPS.
3. Unplug then replug the USB connector to the computer (I assume the computer is already on).
4. Turn on the GPS and you should get the question asking to connect to the computer.

When you're done updating, you can use Tomtom Home on the computer to reset the passcode before you disconnect the GPS from the computer.

Hope it works for you too.

Last edited:
Have you set a passcode on the GPS?

I've noticed that if a passcode is set, the GPS will sometimes ignore the computer.
1. Clear the passcode off the GPS using the icon in the menu (as you obviously can't access it through Home on the computer).
2. Turn off the GPS.
3. Unplug then replug the USB connector to the computer (I assume the computer is already on).
4. Turn on the GPS and you should get the question asking to connect to the computer.

When you're done updating, you can use Tomtom Home on the computer to reset the passcode before you disconnect the GPS from the computer.

Hope it works for you too.
Problem Solved!
Thank-you very much!

Ask a Question