Cannot connect to computer

TomTom Model(s)
I can not get my 720 to connect to my computer. When my tomtom turns on, I click on Yes for it to connect to my computer. However, my computer says usb device not recognized. I have tried on 2 different computers with the same result. How can I get my computer to connect to my tomtom?

Last edited:
I cannot get my 720 to connect to my computer. When my tomtom turns on, I click on Yes for it to connect to my computer. However, my computer says usb device not recognized. I have tried on 2 different computers with the same result. How can I get my computer to connect to my tomtom?

Try a reset with a paperclip for 15 seconds. Then try.

I reset my tomtom and it still did not work

Let me ask this. Do you have a sd card in your unit? If so, take it out and try again. If it works now, try reformatting your sd card and then re-inserting.

Another idea:

If the usb port you are connecting to is in the front of the computer, try attaching it to a usb port in the back. I know you have said you experienced the problem on two computers but try it anway.

Last edited:
Let me ask this. Do you have a sd card in your unit? If so, take it out and try again. If it works now, try reformatting your sd card and then re-inserting.

I do not have an sd card in my tomtom. I have tried the back of the computer and get the same result. IS there any tomtom drivers i can download since it looks like this is what the usb stats is missing?

Here is the warning / message i get when i trie to connect to my computer:
usb.jpg

I do not have an sd card in my tomtom. I have tried the back of the computer and get the same result. IS there any tomtom drivers i can download since it looks like this is what the usb stats is missing?

usb.jpg

What happens when you go into Contol Panel>System>Hardware> Device Manager>click on the button to see a listing? Do you see a yellow exclamation mark beside the usb?

(I'm doubting you'll find anything but still ..... The issue does seem to be with the unit, not the computer).

You can also try here for possible solutions:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871233
http://www.tech-faq.com/usb-device-not-recognized.shtml
http://www.hat.net/geeky/node/221
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/159500.html
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/537465-usb-device-not-recognized.html

and many other hits just by googling 'usb device not recognized'

I'm sure you'll find a fix somewhere.

Last edited:
I can not get my 720 to connect to my computer. When my tomtom turns on, I click on Yes for it to connect to my computer. However, my computer says usb device not recognized. I have tried on 2 different computers with the same result. How can I get my computer to connect to my tomtom?
You don't say what you did before you plugged in your 720, or what operating system you have.

Your computer is recognizing the connection of the 720 as a USB device, but is having trouble recognizing just what it is that you have connected. While the 720 looks like "just another removable drive" to most operating systems, it evidently does not to yours. While not using any of the installation from your TomTomHome CD will keep TomTomHome from automatically launching when you connect your 720, your computer should *still* recognize the device as a removable media device of some kind, just as it the case with many digital cameras.

Please advise which operating system (and service pack, if possible) you are using.

I had the exact same issue. I tried it right out of the box on 2 different computers but both weren't able to connect.

Problem was the GO 720 comes with TomTom home 1.6. I downloaded and installed Home 2.2 and it connected right away. Dunno why they ship it with a version that doesn't work. :confused:

I had the exact same issue. I tried it right out of the box on 2 different computers but both weren't able to connect.

Problem was the GO 720 comes with TomTom home 1.6. I downloaded and installed Home 2.2 and it connected right away. Dunno why they ship it with a version that doesn't work. :confused:

It worked fine when I had version 1.6 so there are other issues at play here; just not sure what.

usb.jpg

I had a similar problem. I would connect my TomTom to the computer, turn it on, and there would be no "Do You Want to Connect..." message. I get around this by turning the TomTom on before placing it in the docking station - now I get the message and it connects OK.

Hi i just had exactly the same problem... if you're using vista.. go into control panel > User Accounts > Turn User Account Control On or Off > then UNTICK the box and restart your pc.

As soon as my pc restarted, i went into "My Computer" and there it was.. my tomtom!!

I had the same problem. Let me explain in case mine is slightly different.

I've had the Go 720 for over a year. Recently I plugged it into my desktop and windows said it did not recognize it. Same with a laptop. Plugged into a new computer and it "found new divice", but then seconds later said it did not recognize device.
usb.jpg

Called TomTom and they said to try SOFT RESET.
Didn't work. But NOW when I plug in to computer, it locks up the computer until I disconnect the 720.

Tom Tom says it needs to be replaced.
Over a year old and not under warrenty, so they offered me a "customer Loyalty rebate" of $100 towards a new unit. Found one on internet for $375.
$174 on E-bay.

Can any one recommend a good GARMIN????

Last edited:
tomtom startup

In the start menu where there is a search area type msconfig and then enter. Go to the start up tap and make sure that tom tom home is checked. If it is not their then you must delete tom tom home and redownload it from the tom tom web site. and then it should work.

In the start menu where there is a search area type msconfig and then enter. Go to the start up tap and make sure that tom tom home is checked. If it is not their then you must delete tom tom home and redownload it from the tom tom web site. and then it should work.

I don't think this will work. The items in the "Start Up" TAB are programs that are designated to start when you log into Windows. This problem has nothing to do with HOME. Whether HOME is running or not, when you connect the device to the computer, IF Windows recognizes it, you should be able to access it as another drive device and be able to get to it via Windows Explorer (Windows File Manager).

Also. MSCONFIG is accessed via the "RUN" in the START MENU.

But thanks for your response. TOM TOM would not help me because my warranty had run out.

Under Device Manager, do you see a yellow Exclamation mark in front of the USB line? Perhaps, try removing the USB and let Windows recreate on computer startup. Then connect the unit. See if that helps.

Under Device Manager, do you see a yellow Exclamation mark in front of the USB line? Perhaps, try removing the USB and let Windows recreate on computer startup. Then connect the unit. See if that helps.

Yep. Tried that and there was no "!" mark. As a test of the device I connected it to a totally different computer so Windows would see it as a NEW DIVICE. It did recognize as NEW and after saying that it was ready for use I got the same error message

usb.jpg

same as with the other computer that I had been connecting to for over a year.

Geez........don't know what to suggest. Perhaps google: 'USB device not recognized' and see if any links there help.

Ask a Question