Cannot connect to computer

As I pointed out, the Home option to REMOVE items from the unit was what I was referring to when I used the term UNINSTALLING.

As to uninstalling and reinstalling Home itself ....... that was going to be my next suggestion if removing and reinstalling the application didn't help. ;)

And yes, it's quite ok to have the application on internal memory and maps and other stuff on the card with the 720 model.

Well I was able to solve my computer connection problem by hitting the reset button on the bottom of my device while it was turned off.

I'm wondering if not always ejecting the device properly may be causing this problem for most. :confused:

Not disconnecting the unit properly can be the cause of a whole host of problems, yes.

As I pointed out, the Home option to REMOVE items from the unit was what I was referring to when I used the term UNINSTALLING.

As to uninstalling and reinstalling Home itself ....... that was going to be my next suggestion if removing and reinstalling the application didn't help. ;)

And yes, it's quite ok to have the application on internal memory and maps and other stuff on the card with the 720 model.

Thanks - I think. I was able to remove everything and while adding it all back the unit froze on a white screen, because it didn't see the maps on the base unit. Of course not, they were on the card. I fought with it some more then let Home start by reading from the card, which is what I always did. Home then insisted the SD card was another hard drive, and insisted on installing the app to the card. When it finally all finished, it now tells me that I can no longer use the computer voice because it is not compatible. Where was that Loquendo reference?

Anyway now when I start Home by reading the card, it's insisting that my software is an old version even though it reads the current version if I check. I also can no longer use 'operate my Go' in Home. That's greyed out.

Seems like the whole thing is completely screwed up now.

I'll have to continue tomorrow. It's too late for tonight.

It's pretty straightforward. Just turn it off and take it out of the dock.

Are you sure :confused:

I thought like any other USB device, it needs to be ejected properly in Windows. When I eject the device using Home, I'm always given a message that my device can "now be safely removed", implying that you just can't shut off your TomTom then un-dock it.

This could have caused your problem. I've had friends corrupt USB flash drives by just taking them out of their ports.

Are you sure :confused:

I thought like any other USB device, it needs to be ejected properly in Windows. .

1) I've never gotten that popup, probably because I shut off the Go before ejecting, as I stated.

2) I've never seen a corrupted flash drive either, not my own or any of the users I support. I'm sure that's possible, just not likely.

It sounds as if you may have one application version on the sd card and another on internal. The way tomtoms work is that if the unit detects an application on a sd card, it first boots up from there.

So, if you have one version on the card that is lower than is required for the map level you have, you may indeed be getting errors such as you describe.

Use Explorer and see if you have loose files on the sd card AND loose files (files not in folders when I say 'loose') on internal. If you do, you need to remove the loose files from the location where the version is lower.

In fact, if you do (and you have made the backup), you can use Explorer to delete the loose files from both places, card and internal. Now, connect to Home. If it (hopefully) asks for a starting device, select internal. It should detect that the application is missing and offer a dl. Accept it and install.

Now, see if problems continue.

1) I've never gotten that popup, probably because I shut off the Go before ejecting, as I stated.

2) I've never seen a corrupted flash drive either, not my own or any of the users I support. I'm sure that's possible, just not likely.

I'm happy to hear you've never dealt with a corrupted flash drive as a result of not ejecting them properly. For the record, this is what Microsoft has to say on the matter:

"When hardware is removed from a running system without using the Safely Remove Hardware application to notify the operating system in advance of the removal, it is referred to as surprise removal. Surprise removal is particularly a concern for storage devices for which write caching is enabled; when such devices are surprise-removed, data loss or data corruption might occur."

Unfortunately for some I've known, the "might" turned into a "will".

Personally, I choose to properly disconnect my TomTom as I don't want to run the risk of inheriting a $400 brick :)

Now, see if problems continue.

Now I've reinstalled everything on the Go, reinstalled everything on the SD card and reinstalled Home. It took 3 hours to reestablish Bluetooth to my phone, and I've spent last night and another hour this morning trying to get the data connection setup, so I can use my Traffic subscription. I cannot get that to work. It says the connection fails each time, even though the Go is connected to my phone. Has there been a Traffic server outage again?

After 2 more complete uninstalls and resinstalls, the Go is again operational. I can attribute part of the original problem to Home not being able to read my backup. The other part was the failure of the USB communication, which is again functional. No hardware changes, just a lot of software rewrites. I do wonder for how long the Go will operate this time, before something that make no sense happens again.

usb not recognized

Just my luck this problem just occurred with my 920. What I did to correct my problem was first press the reset button for about 15 seconds. Do NOT turn it on. Now put your usb into the computer. NOW turn it on. When I turn it on it booted with tom tom home appearing. Then I downloaded the updates. It worked for me but good luck to yourself. The memory has to be cleared out of your unit for the usb to be recognized. But in reality no one reallly knows what to do.

USB device not recognized on any computer - the solution that worked for me

Just my luck this problem just occurred with my 920. What I did to correct my problem was first press the reset button for about 15 seconds. Do NOT turn it on. Now put your usb into the computer. NOW turn it on. When I turn it on it booted with tom tom home appearing. Then I downloaded the updates. It worked for me but good luck to yourself. The memory has to be cleared out of your unit for the usb to be recognized. But in reality no one reallly knows what to do.

I applied this "just QUOTED" solution (for a 920)... and my own 720 was recognized just fine afterwards...

1- Undock your TomTom
2- Shut down your TomTom
3- TomTom being OFF: Use paper clip to reset TomTom (reset button for 720 is on the Bottom of unit). I pressed the reset button for 30 seconds, then released then pressed again 30 seconds, then again 30 seconds... well it might be more resets than necessary... but I wanted to be sure I had a reset...
4- Dock the TomTom on the USB cradle, with computer ON
5- Press the ON switch on the TOMTOM
6- My TOMTOM who wasn't recognized before by any computer just connected right away and TOMTOM Home opened on my computer as it should. As I speak I am installing the updates.

So the solution for me was to shut down TOM TOM and then reset it, and then put it in the cradle and then restart TOMTOM.

Hope it goes well like this for you all.. a GPS is so useful.

Didn't work for me on my GO 720.
I tried 3 times.

It's going in the trash and I'M going to Garmin!!

I've tried EVERYBODY'S suggestions to no avail.
Fortunately, the 720 still works, I just can't update or do anything
to it via a computer connection.

But thanks to everyone who has tried to help me.

I've been having the same problem with my 720 for the last couple of months. It happened about a month ago. I tried different USB ports and nothing. Left it overnight and it worked in the morning. No reset or anything different. It has worked for the last month and now it's doing it again. The exact same message as posted here. I tried to update it last night and it wouldn't connect. Trying now in the morning and still doesn't work. Wife is taking it on a trip and leaving today so I'll have to work on it when she gets back.
This has never happened in the 1 1/2 years I've owned it until the last couple of months. Seems strange.

me too

Didn't work for me on my GO 720.
I tried 3 times.

It's going in the trash and I'M going to Garmin!!

im with you on that option. after so many problems with my tomtom over the past 2 years (bluetooth doesnt work anymore and now THIS problem-unable to connect to my pc) , the days are numbered. I may go even a step further and come up with something creative to destroy it lovely. stay tuned on youtube....

Ask a Question