Bricked TT ONE v4? Blinking X

Hi guys this is my first time posting here.

I've been looking at a lot of threads in regards to the bricked TT ONE's with the blinking x's. I was recently given a TT ONE by a friend who had bricked his and said if i could get it to work i could keep it.

So i felt up to the challenge and decided to give it a shot. when i first connected it to my computer it said detected new device tomtom one v4 and it installed the drivers for it. i then downloaded and installed Home 2 and tried to see if i could update the TT. as expected it failed to detect it. so i started to go through the steps and tried a soft reset and then a hard reset with no luck. i then read somewhere that i should see if i could see the device in windows explorer (which i could) and open it to see the files. windows said that it needed to be formated. so i started to format it and it seemed to be working until the very end when it said the format could not be completed. so after some more research i found out how to get to the device info screen where i found filesystem alignment: not perfect.

Being familiar with computer systems and how they operate i realized that the loader could be reset if the battery was disconnected. so i first tried to drain the battery by leaving it on till it died. apparently there is an automatic sleep feature that activates when the battery is low. so i looked around the toolbox and found the star key that fits the screws on the back and opened it up. after popping off the back plate slowly i noticed two tiny little cables. one lead to the speakers while the other lead straight to the battery pack. so i disconnected both pressed the power button a bunch of times to clear out any power that might be left in the circuits and reconnected them again.

now to see if it had worked. i reconnected the TT to the computer and heard the beep from windows saying it was connected. so opened up explorer and tried to open the device again. i was again prompted to format the device. so i did and this time it worked! i was able to start up home and have the device recognized. except now when i tried to update it i received an error saying "Required parameter(s) devicenavcoreversion missing". my friend didn't have a back up and i couldn't find anything online that helped at all and this is where im at. i think this could help people who have bricked their tomtoms but i cant tell yet. so is there any way for me to get these files? im planning on calling customer service in a few hours, but i thought i would post here to see if this could possibly help someone who has a back up and a bricked TT.

Also sorry for the long post and the bad grammer ive been up all night trying to get this done. :)

~Locus

First, did you format it using FAT or FAT32? These devices recognize the FAT format.

If you did format it correctly, I'm surprised that TT HOME is not giving you the option to download the TomTom Application (the operating system). I have used many many blank SD cards and every time I put in a totally blank card and connect to the PC, the TomTom screen will show me an SD icon with a big red 'X' in it, noting there is no operating system. When I run TomTom HOME, however, it looks at my device, it sees it is missing the TomTom Application, and shows me the option of downloading this program.

You could also try physically selecting the UPDATE MY DEVICE button in TomTom HOME.....I am assuming you are using the TomTOm HOME version 2.1 which is the latest.

Even though you drained the battery and your cache should be completely drained, you may want to run TomTom's Clear Flash utility to make sure there isn't any residual garbage in the memory:
>>> Clear Flash <<<

Last edited:
first of all thank you for the reply Birdman. i had originally formatted with Fat32 but after reading your post i reformatted to Fat. I tried to use the update function on home but it didnt not work with the latest version of home 2. after some looking around i found home 1.5 and installed it after uninstalling home 2. i was able to download the core files for my TT but received an error while trying to update them to the device. so i turned it off, disconnected the battery again and then put it back together and plugged it back into my computer. i did a fresh format and ran the clear flash tool you linked to. this time i was able to successfully update the TT1 and disconnect to home. i crossed my fingers, turned it back on again and.... it worked! it brought up a terms of use screen with an i agree button and then a screen that says no maps found. so im gonna try to talk to customer service to see if i can get a free map if not ill just bite the bullet and buy one. but thank you for your help!

FAT32 works fine with TT1. I have TT1 v2 &4GB SD-card formated with FAT32. NTFS does NOT works.

There are att least 2 version of clear flash (for different models), as I know. So be sure it is the right one You use, or try bouth.

Try to reformat SD-card in card-reader and copy "working"backup into it , with Windows Explorer AND card-reader.

If no "working" backup , try to install pure Navcore v.6 from here ( http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oldboy/TomTomUpdates/index.html ). Download the right version. It is only Navcore without maps.

Remove TThome2 from your PC AND redownload it again from TT:s website. Install it.

Try now to uppdate TT1 to newest Navcore by connecting TT1 to PC.

Maps - well I hope You have backup, or search on the i-net how to DL.

God Luck

Ask a Question