"Home" won't install application .CAB: Bricked 730 [resolved]

Advice sought for bricked 730:

"Home" installed latest map for GO 730 (830.2284) to my GO 730 device. But it will not install the corresponding required application (8.351) to the device:

"Home" appears to start the download of GO 730 application 8.351 from TomTom server, but it stops and gives error message, and will not install 8.351 to device:

"ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/GetInstallable/InvalidArchive1: This file is invalid (archive file): C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\program\GO_530__GO_730__GO_930\8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab"

(Part of error messages...)

The referenced GO 730 application .CAB file is created by Home on my pc hard drive, but it has filesize 0 (zero). It appears that the URL "Home" uses to download this .CAB file is defunct:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

Now, because "Home" installed the latest map 830.2284 but will not install the corresponding application 8.351 to my GO 730, it will not start: Upon startup, it stops with message "No maps found!" and will not function.

Bricked GO 730.

I sent support request message to TomTom but no response for several days now (of course). "Home" will properly download/install to device other files indicated (e.g. "QuckGPSfix Data", in file "Ephemeris.cab"), so my pc, internet connection, firewall etc. are apparently NOT the problem. Also, I have tried several versions of "Home", including the CD version and two later versions - all versions have the same problem.

It appears that either (1) "Home" is using an erroneous download URL or other code to attempt download of "8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab", or (2) something is broken at TomTom server-side.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance.

That link you provided in your post IS the correct link for the 8.351 application from TomTom.

Do you see the contents of your unit when you use Explorer? If so, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Look for the cab file you referenced on your computer. Home's Preferences->Folder Options-->will show you the default location of downloads. Make sure it is there (If not, download it again from YOUR link).

Now, use Explorer to delete any loose files in the root of the unit. NO folders or their contents.

Go back to the cab file and use winrar or equivalent to extract the files from the cab to the proper folder/file location on the unit. Make sure you set winrar to overwrite existing files.

Once done, you should be good to go.

That link you provided in your post IS the correct link for the 8.351 application from TomTom.

Do you see the contents of your unit when you use Explorer? If so, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Look for the cab file you referenced on your computer. Home's Preferences->Folder Options-->will show you the default location of downloads. Make sure it is there (If not, download it again from YOUR link).

Now, use Explorer to delete any loose files in the root of the unit. NO folders or their contents.

Go back to the cab file and use winrar or equivalent to extract the files from the cab to the proper folder/file location on the unit. Make sure you set winrar to overwrite existing files.

Once done, you should be good to go.

Thx for info.

I did not make a backup of the GO 730 device before I started, either using WinXP Explorer or "Home". (I did not anticipate such problems out of such an apparently-simple device; lesson learned.)

As noted, the referenced .CAB file (C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\program\GO _530__GO_730__GO_930\8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab) IS indeed on my hard drive, BUT it has filesize of zero bytes. This implies that "Home" created this folder/file on hard drive but the file is invalid because "Home" did not complete the download properly.

Therefore, I have no .CAB file to work with to install latest correct application to device to utilize the latest map, and because I did not back up the original GO 730 device files, I do not have the original map to restore to the device.

New map + old application = bricked device.

Any other ideas?

I guess I will call TomTom when I have (more) hours to waste on this problem.

Have you looked at the contents of the cab file using winrar or equivalent? Is there nothing in it?

If so, delete the cab file, download it again from your link.

And still use Explorer to make the backup prior to expanding the newly downloaded cab file.

I looked in the .cab file using Winzip, it is empty. And, Filesize is zero, according to WinXP.

These indicators, along with other indicators, imply that the .cab file download by "Home" sw is not completing properly.

And since TomTom apparently requires use of "Home" to dl and install this file to the GO 730 device, at this point it is bricked.

Other ideas appreciated.

Exactly how many times do you want me to repeat the same thing??

Make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents...

Then....

1. Delete the faulty cab file
2. Download again using the link in your first message. You do NOT need Home to download this cab file. Just save it somewhere on your computer. A temp folder, perhaps.
3. Use Winrar to expand the cab file and let it overwrite existing files in the root of the unit AND in Folders in the unit.

"Exactly how many times do you want me to repeat the same thing??"

I don't.

"Make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents...

Then....

1. Delete the faulty cab file
2. Download again using the link in your first message. You do NOT need Home to download this cab file. Just save it somewhere on your computer. A temp folder, perhaps.
3. Use Winrar to expand the cab file and let it overwrite existing files in the root of the unit AND in Folders in the unit."

The faulty CAB file is not in my unit, it is on my hard drive where Home attempted to write it but crashed with an error message when it could not download it.

The link does not work for me. It is a dud. Does it work for anybody else?

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

Again: Home DID download a couple of the other files it indicated for my unit, so my pc/internet connection/etc are apparently not the problem.

The problem is in the TomTom system: (Go 730 unit)+(Home SW on PC)+(TomTom servers).

If I had suspected that a relatively simple system such as this could be screwed up so badly by TomTom, I would have backed it up first.

We'll see how their Tech Support does on the phone tomorrow. I am not optimistic, based on events so far with TomTom.

Sophos.........

Can it be that somehow you have a firewall blocking things? Just not sure what else to suggest........

Whenever I click on the link, whether when you first provided it or when I did, I always get a window appearing asking if I want to save or run the file, as I should.

Do you have pop ups blocked on your browser?????????

Whenever I click on the link, whether when you first provided it or when I did, I always get a window appearing asking if I want to save or run the file, as I should.

Do you have pop ups blocked on your browser?????????

Dead link whether pop ups are blocked or not.

Here is the Home error message, about inability to download the file:

ERROR: 2152398868/#http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab: Error from server: HOME was able to connect to the TomTom server but did not receive any data from the server.
HOME was able to connect to the TomTom server but did not receive any data from the server.
Error code: 2152398868 (NS_ERROR_NET_RESET)
URL: http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab
Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/netutil.js:77
return new ServerError(message, status, uri);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/netutil.js:112
return NetUtil.exceptionForStatusCode(aStatus, aChannel.URI.spec);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:361
exception = NetUtil.isRequestSuccess(this._channel, aStatus);

Time: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:32:58 GMT

I'll make a point of having SuperMod mvl look in on this thread. He's good at figuring this stuff out. All I know is that I can always get the cab file from that link with no problem. I know that's not what you want to hear, but .....

So, check back.............

Sorry I couldn't help more...........

Shut the Home application down and try clicking the link to the download in this thread, what does the PC do i.e. does it offer to download anything at all and if so use the Save As option to store the download on your desktop so its easy to find for the next phase.
You certainly don't need Home in the loop for doing a Navcore update so its worth trying, this will also prove whether the fault is with your installation of Home or a PC internet/ firewall issue - Mike

Oh geez.....

What's the expression about 'not seeing the forest for the trees'???

Thx for the advice, Mike. I just missed that (obvious) point completely.

I'm having no internet connection issues to the link either.

Again, this is the link I used:

At this point let's try some internet troubleshooting. Are you using a PC? If so:

1) go to start->Run
2) Type in "cmd" without the quotes and click OK
3) In the black screen that pops up type in "tracert download.tomtom.com" without the quotes and press enter.
4) post a reply with the results (click the "c:\" icon on the upper left, then edit->mark, highlight the text, then click the "c:\" icon, then "edit->copy", then paste into a response)

Tomtom hosts their files on akamai servers, which are distributed copies sitting in the office of every ISP. My suspicion is that the akamai server in your neighborhood is corrupt.

Please respond with the step4 results. After that, we can confirm the akamai issue, and design a workaround.

Last edited:
Update: Problem solved.

The problem was located in my wireless router (Linksys WRH54G).

This and other files located at

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/

apparently require ActiveX functionality to properly download. My router had ActiveX blocked, this would not permit the files to download.

I disabled ActiveX blocking in my router, TomTom Home now works properly to download and install the files to the GO 730 unit.

Thanks for helping me by verifying that the .cab file was in fact downloading properly on your setup. Hope this travail helps someone avoid the same problem (blocked ActiveX prevents Home from downloading some files).

Edit: Another reason why my router may have blocked the download: It may have been some internal hiccup indirectly (not directly) related to ActiveX blocking in the router. In any case, NOT using that ActiveX blocking in the router permits all to work properly with TomTom Home. FWIW.

Last edited:
A .CAB file can be an AciveX file. That was your issue. Rather than use deep inspection, the router assumed that all .CAB files are ActiveX.

A .CAB file can be an AciveX file. That was your issue. Rather than use deep inspection, the router assumed that all .CAB files are ActiveX.

But my ActiveX-blocking-router would allow .CAB files from certainTomTom parent URLs to pass, e.g.:

http://home.tomtom.com/download/ (Voice and QuickGPSFix .CAB files)

However, it would block .CAB files from a different URL:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/ (Application and phone connection .CAB files)

In any case, setting the router to default (allow ActiveX to pass) enabled "Home" to properly update the GO 730 unit with the new application etc., and it is working OK again. :)

Ask a Question