TomTom Home Update freeze = half-bricked?

Hi all,

I have the Australian version of the TomTom One XL IQ Routes (XL340). During updating (mapshare and quickfix) TomTom Home froze causing an incomplete transfer of files to the GPS. The GPS behaves normally when connected to the PC however when I try to start the device, it hangs the moment it displays the map.

I believe the problem has something to do with the incomplete transfer of the files to the device. Is there a way I can manually transfer the files to the GPS?

I'm trying to avoid a factory reset as I have quite a fair bit of data I haven't backed up yet...

Try to reset the unit by holding the power button for about 10 seconds (until the unit reboots). If that doesn't help and iif you say it connects to the PC, I assume you mean the pc recognizes its presence when you do power up the unit. If so, use Explorer, not Home, and make a complete backup of your unit.

Once that is done, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Then connect to Home. You should be offered an application. Download, install, disconnect properly using the Device disconnect icon on the bottom right of Home.

Restart the unit and see if that helps.

Thanks. So TomTom released a mapshare update so I was able to update the corrupted files and now the unit works properly.

TomTom replied to my enquiry a while later so I'm posting here in case anyone runs into the same problem as me.

If you find that your device will not load to your map, it might be because your device has developed a small fault in the map folder of the device.This could easily have happened during an update as you suggested. Please be aware that doing the following steps will cause you to loose all of your saved Favourites, Recent Destinations, Home Location and Settings.

STEP 1 - Creating a Manual backup of your device
- Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
- Perform a reset on your device (see: TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product )
- Make a manual backup as shown on TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product (Please scroll to the bottom of the page to make a manual back up)

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your device.

If you are unable to complete step 1, please reply back with a list of yellow folders that you have managed to successfully copy to your PC and also reply back with any error messages that you receive at this point.

STEP 2 - Find the mapsettings.cfg

- Connect your device to the computer and switch it on
- On your PC, click on My Computer to access your TomTom drive. On a Mac you can double click on it on your desktop
- Inside the TomTom drive, you will see a list of folders (on Windows these are yellow, on a Mac they are blue) as well as some loose files
- Please find the folder that is named as the map on your device i.e. United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland_or_Western_Europe etc
- Double click on this folder to access it and please find the file called mapsettings.cfg
- Please delete this file

STEP 3 - Check the Device

- Eject the drive (on Windows, go back to My Computer and right click on it and select Eject; on a Mac, drag the drive into the trash)
- Please disconnect your device and let it load up as normal
- You should now be able to set up the device as normal and will no longer get stuck on the voice selection

Thanks a lot mate

Hi mate (onurbmil87)

I just wanted to thank you for uploading the solution that Tomtom sent you, it was very kind of you. It worked perfectly :) (thank god)

You saved me a lot of time that could have been wasted going to the shop I bought it from (Halfords) and using up my year's warranty not to mention the headache.

It was driving me mad but now i'm satisfied that its sorted.

Thank You

Last edited:

Ask a Question