I've bricked my Go730, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I'm brand spanking new to this forum and would love some suggestions before I bin my Go730. I installed a new Australia map a fortnight ago (not using HOME) and I failed to back up the device, clearly always the optimist, I didn't think I'd need to. Well after the copy and replace set up of the map, the devise sat on the "splash" start up screen for hours. It will connect to the computer utilizing both its hard drive and the 2GB SD card inside. Clearly there was some kind of corruption with the map I installed and because I didn't back up, I cannot reset it back to factory settings.
I've trawled through Google for days trying to find a solution. I've hard reset, I've removed the mapsettings.cfg file and then installed HOME and backed up that mess.I tried a manual download and install of the Navcore software to the device and the only thing that's changed is now it starts up with the drums and sits of the "TomTom" logo. So its seems its the map that corrupt not the Navcore software, but I cannot remove the map without replacing it with another one first.
Oh in the beginning the device connected to both "back up and restore" and "Operate my Go" in HOME, now I cannot gain access to it as it says "This feature isn't supported by my device" which it was earlier yesterday, hence not being able to gain access to my previous backup (which was dodgy anyway).
I'm at my wits end! I just would love to wipe the whole device and start again.
Thanking you in advance!
Stacey

I assume the new Aussie map was legitimately obtained from TomTom.

With that assumption, then you'll find it here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

And, if so, connect your unit to the computer and use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Then, connect to Home and accept the application that is offered. It should be 8.351 for your model. Don't accept any other updates.

Install the application and disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Restart the unit and connect to the computer. Don't start Home, or if it starts, shut it down.

Now, use the information here to manually install your Australia map:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

Fixed!!

Thank you so much for your advice, it worked like a charm and saved me from binning it! I really appreciate your help:thumb:

can you help me with my sat nav plz thanks
Help you what? No idea what you own or what problem you might be having. That makes it tough to offer any advice :confused:

Richard's topic about his Go720 is HERE. I guess that's what he's on about.

As the OP's problem here is solved I'll lock this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question