XXL540TM App.?

Yes, in step 2 of my previous post, remove the application (using Home) from the Device AND remove it from 'the Computer' tab.

You want it gone completely from both locations.

OOPS... sorry about that! I didn't see the instructions because they were on the previous page.

Still no Dave. :( I checked all of the computer voices again. I think I followed your instructions correctly but maybe I should do it again. I already had a recent explorer backup on my computer so I skipped that step.

I don't know what to say......

I was just offered Dave for both my 720 and my 540 here.

You did completely uninstall the application from the device and computer, eh?

Okay.... thanks for your help! I think I will try the uninstall/reinstall again later and see what happens. I'm pretty sure I did it all correctly, but it won't hurt to try again. Apparently Dave is just newly offered. It would be nice to have more computer voice options. Thanks again, dhn!

Lately HOME hasn't been offerring Dave for some strange reason. If you downloaded it earlier, HOME lets you reinstall it from your hard drive, but won't re-download it.

You can manually install Dave by using Winrar to extract the contents of this file, and placing the contents in the \LoquendoTTS folder on your Tomtom drive.

Are you downloading files using a directly connected computer or using one with a wireless connection via a router?

If the latter, try downloading from a computer directly connected to the Internet. Wireless connections often have issues with corrupt downloads, especially from TomTom servers (for some reason).

I'm pretty much stymied......

Did you do as mvl suggested and instruct WinRar to extract the contents to the LoquendoTTS folder on your unit?

I just tried downloading the file here and it extracts properly........

Don't know......it may have to do with the initial link being via satellite (though I sort of doubt it) or it may be something else.

Did you get the corrupt archive error as WinRar was extracting the files?

I think we best wait for mvl to again make an appearance in this thread. He's a genius at getting to the bottom of issues.

All of you SuperModerators amaze me!! I did download the Dave.cab file from TomTom and extracted it with Winvar. I got the error message while it was extracting or maybe it was just at the end of the extraction process. I'll post any new developments here. Right now I'm trying your suggested "fix" again since you were successful in downloading the file.

Thanks again for all your help.

PS - Still no Dave! :(

Last edited:
Hmm... strange.

1) Did you download winrar from rarlab.com? Other sites sometimes give corrupt or virus-ridden winrar applications

2) See if you can extract Dave to your C drive. If that succeeds, its possible (actually likely) that there isn't enough space to fit Susan and Dave on the XXL 540TM. If that is the case, you can remove the Susan voice from the Tomtom under "Manage my XXL" in Home. That should free up enough space to load "Dave".

3) If the above don't work, delete the downloaded Dave and try downloading again. Maybe it was a corrupt download.

This is weird!! I finally got Dave extracted to my LoquendoTTS folder and the Dave shows up in LoquendoTTS-data-voices BUT I cannot find Dave in Manage My Device-Add Traffic,Voices, etc.-Voices-Computer Voices-ALL. Any suggestions?

The Tomtom's do a self-inventory upon poweron. Sometimes HOME looks at the self-inventory results instead of all the files on the device itself. So HOME won't always know about things you added manually until the device has a chance to start up and re-inventory.

If you disconnect (use the blue button) and try to start up the Tomtom, you should be able to change voices in preferences to Dave. And if you reconnect later, Manage my XXL should show Dave on the device.

Hey... that's great! Dave is working on my unit. However, the Home Application STILL has not caught up with it. I did as you said: disconnected via the blue button, started my device and found Dave via preferences. That voice is going to work for me and I'm very grateful for the help I've received from both of you.

Then I connected to Home again and tried to locate Dave via Manage My Device and he STILL doesn't show up there.

This has been a great learning experience for me. Thanks to both of you for your help.

Late bulletin...

I woke up at 3am thinking about this and finally figured it out. In following dhn's suggestion to acquire Dave by removing my application from my device AND my computer and then updating with a fresh application from TomTom I ended up with a new app on my computer and on my device that was just like the old one: No Dave voice.

Then I took mvl's advice and manually extracted the Dave.cab download directly into my XXL device. So now my device had Dave but my computer did not.

Apparently when you look for voices in Manage My XXL in the Home app the program only looks at what is on my computer so Dave would not show up.

SOLUTION: I crawled out of bed at 4am and REMOVED the Voices folder from my hard drive via the Home app. Then I COPIED the Voices folder from my XXLdevice to my computer.

VOILA! Dave now shows up in Manage My XXL! :D

Thanks again, guys. You both taught me a lot of good stuff. :)

Thanks for the feedback.......

Careful, you'll turn into another mvl! He's known to be at his computer at all hours investigating issues!! :)

Thanks for the help, dhn. This is my first nav unit and some of it is a little confusing at this point. It would be nice if TomTom would include a decent manual but since they didn't, I'm sure grateful for the expert help available here in the forums.

PS - BTW, just curious...does your application folder on your 540 also say the 530S is the installed app:?

I felt the need to rewrite parts of the manual as a "learning" exercise.
See: View folder for a better version IMHO.

Ask a Question