XXL 540TM Flickering / White screen

Just bought my first gps took it out of the box and spent hours updating everything and now it doesnt work. When starting it not plugged in into my pc the screen will begin to flicker, when I try to reboot it its just a white screen. After reading around I think I saw that this was a software issue, so does any one have a fix?

I DO NOT have a back up of the device as it came out of the box, first thing I did was update it. Does any one know of/have a working version of the software.

I dont know were to find my current version # so if some one tells me I'll post it.

several of us who just acquired a 540 got bit by this loosy update from TThome :mad:.

I will not risk directing you, as my experience in GPS is very limited. But some of the info that will help the Gurus of the place to help you are:
- the exact model of your 540 : for that indicate the first two letter of your serial number (RX, RZ...)
-the current software loaded: if you go in TTHome under manage mydevice/apps it will tell you which it dowloaded to your unit (somthing like 8.551 or 9.053...
-also if you can open with notepad the file release.nfo in directory Tomtom-cfg of your tomtom, I beleive you can see what was the original apps version

So far it seems recoverable for the majority of us. you can also read this thread where many exchanged on this topic

good luck

_pat

Last edited:
I dont know were to find my current version # so if some one tells me I'll post it.
Version? We don't even know what model you've got! Your unit may not think that it is an XXL540, even if it is. That's what we need to find out.

What are the first two letters of the unit serial number on the bottom of your TomTom? RX? RZ? What?

Next, if you hook up your unit to your PC (I assume you have Home installed or you couldn't have done the update), let Home fire up, and click on Help > System Information.

It would help to have information from the following lines down in the section called "ttgo.bif file contents":

DeviceName=???
What is this thing calling itself?

BootLoaderVersion=5XXXX
What are the actual numbers in the above?

ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9XXX
What are the actual numbers in the above?

Last edited:
Serial Number: RX
App Version: 9.053
Application build = 520930.2-1023 Is this the relevant line from release.nfo?

DeviceName=TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition
BootLoaderVersion=55279
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9053

Not sure if this is relevant but system info says my type of device is "xxl2009_plus_2048_tts_black"

Will read through the linked thread now, i just skimmed it yesterday. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the info. What is the specific problem you are having with your unit and what map and version number are you using?

After reading the other thread I can say that my "Operate My XXL" WORKS, but its useless when I cant use the device. As I said in the first post when I start it up the first time after disconnecting it from my pc it shows a split flickering screen and a what seems to be a warning message but I cant read it. When I restart it all I get is a white screen until I reset it.

Where is the map info located?

Edit: Found the map info through "Operate" and clicking the version box. "USA_Canada_Mexico_P" 860.3121

Last edited:
Well, you can try this:

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. That's REALLY important.

Then use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of your unit. NO folders or their contents.

Next, download this application and install using WinRar. Overwrite if prompted.

Disconnect your unit PROPERLY from the computer.

See if that helps.

Ok the screen is no longer going berserk so I think this solved my original issue, however now I get a error saying "You cannot use this map on this device: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-261". I click ok and it lets me pick a new map, but the only map I have is the one that gives me an error.

:mad:

You've made the Explorer backup?

Try running the Clear Flash tool found here:
Clear Flash tool

Run it 3 times.

If that doesn't help, go here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

and rename Downloads to DownloadsOLD.

Then:
1. Use Explorer to MOVE the specific map folder from the unit to the computer.

2. Connect the unit to Home, Update my Unit and see what map, if any, gets offered.

Yes i have a backup

clear flash didnt work, ran it 3 times

Tried to re download the maps as suggested when i ran into this error while it tried to put the map on the device.

ERROR: 2147500037/#http://download.tomtom.com/860/high...Da7xY0T+zsm pm5eAmH6a6McwexAN0+dfyk/Zsub7B4=: Error from server: Failed to write to output file
Failed to write to output file
Error code: 2147500037 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
URL: http://download.tomtom.com/860/high...lDa7xY0T+zsm pm5eAmH6a6McwexAN0+dfyk/Zsub7B4=
Additional information: info = [object]
info.method = [string] GET
info.resumeOffset = [number] 858423296
info.resumeDownloadEnabled = [boolean] true
info.entityID = [string] %22dc7fce940b5c684a2b47b59511ca3d49:1289957791%22/1745181777/Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:45:25 GMT
info.file = [string] C:\Users\Arg\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\USA__Canada___Mexico\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip
info.metaFile = [string] C:\Users\Arg\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\c157d49a3cd237e8385c29500af993ad.tmp.meta
info.tempFile = [string] C:\Users\Arg\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\c157d49a3cd237e8385c29500af993ad.tmp

Severity: 1105
-
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520010 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NO_DEVICE_SPACE) [nsIBufferedOutputStream.writeFrom]" nsresult: "0x80520010 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NO_DEVICE_SPACE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js :: anonymous :: line 443" data: no]
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:451
this._getRequestInfo());

CAUSE: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520010 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NO_DEVICE_SPACE) [nsIBufferedOutputStream.writeFrom]" nsresult: "0x80520010 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NO_DEVICE_SPACE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js :: anonymous :: line 443" data: no]
in chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:443
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:443
aCount -= this._stream.writeFrom(aInputStream, aCount);

Time: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 17:25:22 GMT

Did you remove the previous map first? If so, use Explorer to MOVE the complete LoquendoTTS folder from the unit to the computer and try the download again. (after deleting the Loquendo folder from the unit)

Also, how much available space is on your C: drive?

I think the error is that it is not finding enough space on the DEVICE but want to make sure there is space to download it to the computer first.

Yes after looking at what tomtom has put on my smalll C: partition I'm pretty sure that was at least part of the problem. Downloading now, will edit when something happens.

Gives me the same "cannot use map..." described earlier when downloaded before and after deleting LoquendoTTS. Beginning to think i should just return this.

Absolutely what I'd do. Why spend hours trying to repair a Tomtom failure on a new purchase? Just get another TT and be done with it.

I just got a brand new 540TM today and had the exact same issue. Called TomTom support and the tech didn't even bother trying to troubleshoot. Within 30 seconds of getting him on the phone and mentioning the white screen post-update, he told me to just return it, either directly to TomTom (1-2 week turnaround after receipt) or to the place I bought it (Amazon, who will have a replacement to me in two days).

That's how I ended up here -- I've never had a tech so quick to diagnose a defective unit without a bit of troubleshooting, so I was suspicious and decided to do some research and find out if this was a common problem. Guess I got my answer.

Perhaps luckily, the 540TM World Traveler Edition (currently with my fianc?e in England) we got just last month was flawless out of the box. When I saw this 540TM on sale at Amazon I jumped on it so we'd each have one when she got back. If the replacement is even slightly flaky, however, it's going back and I will try another model instead, counting my blessings that at least the first one we got was good.

Ask a Question