XL 330 Help needed

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 550M
I was wondering if there's any way to install the latest application files for my unit without using home. I have downloaded the latest application files (I know where they are at on my PC hard drive) but every tine I try to install them with HOME I get a file write error message and it stops without fully installing the files. I've tried it 3 or 4 times now and as far as I can tell it's a different file that causes it every time. If I can't install the application without HOME is there any way to know which folders can be deleted prior to installation?

FWIW I know the procedure for installing a downloaded map without HOME and was hoping that was something similar for the application.

Thanks for the help.

Use WinRar to Extract the download straight to the drive letter associated with your device - Mike

I thought about that but the file that downloaded does not appear to be a .zip file. I'm away from my home PC so I can't chcek that out. id the file with the extension .cab a file that I can extraxt the other files from?

Thank you for the help. I have followed the advice and my unit now seems to be functioning correctly. There is an issue however that I my just be "stuck" with but maybe you can help. Before all of the updating when I had my unit attached to my PC in MY COMPUTER the drive for my unit was named TOMTOM and the TomTom icon showed in the menu. Now it is named INTERNAL and there is just a generic drive icon. ANy idea what happened and how I can get it back the way it was? Also even after using HOME to properly shut down and disconnect my unit it seems that I am encouraged to run ScanDisk every time I aattach my unit to my PC but no errors are found (on the simple scan).

Again, thanks for the help.

Are you by any chance running Vista? It often gives false positives about running ScanDisk.

Well, if things seem to be ok, try making an Explorer, not Home, backup. Then, format the drive. Don't use quickformat. Then restore the backup.

You can also run from the command prompt: chkdsk x: /f where x: represents the drive of the TT unit. Maybe there are issues with the drive?

Ask a Question