XL 330 RDS-TMC Renewal HELP!!!

TomTom Model(s)
XL 330s
Renewed subscription for 1 year of RDS-TMC Traffic yet unit keeps telling me to update for another year. Email confirming paid order says:
1. Switch on your device
2. Tap on map to enter the Main Menu
3. Tap on Change preferences
4. Tap on My TomTom account[
5. Login with your TomTom account
6. Follow the instructions
Trouble is step number 4 is nowhere to be found on the XL 330!
Spent hours on the phone with Tech and got absolutely nothing but a sore ear. Got disconnected through no fault of mine, yet no call back (they have my number). They finally posted my problem as solved, yet it isn't. I re-submitted my complaint through email this time but not holding my breath. HELP!
PS I have two units with separate valid email accounts for each. I renewed first XL330 back in March with no trouble. I suspect that renewal file from first is preventing me from renewing the second, despite proper payment for both. Or HOME just isn't downloading proper second unit renewal info. HELP AGAIN!

Thanks for responding. Yes I have the Plus services icon. Don't know if this helps diagnose my problem but on my computer I found an 'rdstmc' folder and within that folder are files related to my other Tom Tom XL 330 that I renewed the traffic service for back on 03/09/10 (dated 03/09/10), which includes a '.cab' file in particular. Nowhere else can I find any other files related to the May 2010 attempt at renewing the other unit. Thanks again!

PS Tom Tom sent me an email in response to my problem that I copy/pasted for your perusal:
"I have escalated this issue to my senior technician and we are further researching your query. Please be rest assured that once I receive a response from them, I will definitely share it with you."
but elsewhere in the email it says:
"This incident will remain open for the next 72 hours and will close automatically if we do not hear back."
Talk about a Catch 22! They will contact me but I have to contact them, DUH!
Thanks again for your help!

I'd call support at 866-486-6866 (don't rely on emails) and pursue the issue..........

There are three type of traffic options with Tomtom:
RDS-TMC, PLUS, and LIVE

The XL 330 can only support RDS-TMC. (many older models incorrectly have "PLUS" icons in their menus, but those are typos).

My guess is that the server mis-activated PLUS, which won't help you (the instructions they gave are PLUS instructions). You can call Tomtom and have them fix your activation to the RDS-TMC traffic option.

Again, don't email as their email support is slow and often inaccurate.

Once it is properly renewed, home will download an RDS-TMC license file when you do "Update my XL", and the traffic will work afterwards.

Thanks for your help!
How come Tom Tom doesn't know of this problem/solution?
The last communication they had with me they said they were going to send me a new RDS TMC antenna preloaded with a year's subscription, which is fine by me.
Just seems like a band aid solution to what you may have solved for them, oh well.
Thanks again!!

The last communication they had with me they said they were going to send me a new RDS TMC antenna preloaded with a year's subscription, which is fine by me.

I had a similar issue with traffic before where support sent me a new antenna, and their RDS-TMC came in 2 days and worked perfectly.

So a new antenna with 1 year subscription is pretty much the same as an old antenna with 1 year subscription. So you should be set once the antenna comes in.

I had a similar issue with traffic before where support sent me a new antenna, and their RDS-TMC came in 2 days and worked perfectly.

So a new antenna with 1 year subscription is pretty much the same as an old antenna with 1 year subscription. So you should be set once the antenna comes in.

I cannot believe what I was just told.... and what happened.
I updated and of course it didn't work - called TT support... guy - "David" I got on phone took serial#; etc - came back and said he would issue a refund but this is a "known issue" and something they are working on... but the 340S and other older models no longer support the traffic - only way is to get a NEW device... not a new traffic receiver; etc - but a new GPS unit! I just paid $279+ last year for this GPS!! WTF! :eek:

I said if that's the case - shouldn't I get some credit towards a new unit; etc - he said "they can't/don't do that"!

I'm calling back tonight and talking to a supervisor; etc - I am NOT happy! :mad:

No customer service/stand behind tt products!!

I cannot believe what I was just told.... and what happened.
I updated and of course it didn't work - called TT support... guy - "David" I got on phone took serial#; etc - came back and said he would issue a refund but this is a "known issue" and something they are working on... but the 340S and other older models no longer support the traffic - only way is to get a NEW device... not a new traffic receiver; etc - but a new GPS unit! I just paid $279+ last year for this GPS!! WTF! :eek:

I said if that's the case - shouldn't I get some credit towards a new unit; etc - he said "they can't/don't do that"!

I'm calling back tonight and talking to a supervisor; etc - I am NOT happy! :mad:

OK... TT has shown they now have ZERO customer service nor do they stand behind their products.

I called back again - and at a direct refusal to transfer to a supervisor - this "Tristan" looked into either placing me on a backorder list or to see if the newer traffic devices would be compatible/offered to me in replacement for the above no-good traffic receiver I now have in my possesion. Neither were available... typical. I just CANNOT believe the amount of SHODDY customer service this company now provides... this is my second TT unit and will be my LAST! :mad:

The latest lifetime traffic receiver is only compatible with app 9.x, which isn't on older models.

The old receiver used to be renewable via Tomtom HOME. Although I have heard multiple users having issues with renewal. Hopefully Tomtom didn't discontinue renewals too.

The latest lifetime traffic receiver is only compatible with app 9.x, which isn't on older models.

The old receiver used to be renewable via Tomtom HOME. Although I have heard multiple users having issues with renewal. Hopefully Tomtom didn't discontinue renewals too.

From what I've been told I cannot renew the older style (Part# 9V00.180 that I had purchased last year with my unit.

The newer style will NOT work with the XL340S or below GPS units. So basically I am SOL. I cannot believe this though. I'm still awaiting official response from TomTom re: this and hopefully someone can help me! I am absolutely disgusted with TT over this! :rolleyes: :mad:

The new antenna will work with the XL340S since it has app 9.x. It will not work on the XL330.

Really!?!? :)
Ok... so I have the XL340S with version 9.056 -- the traffic receiver part# I have is 5v00.181.2

Which receiver do I need to get and are the connections the same? Where can I get it?

Last edited:
For some reason Tomtom hasn't started selling the new receiver in the US yet. If you can find someone in Europe to ship you one, it's for sale here.

USB Traffic receiver

For some reason Tomtom hasn't started selling the new receiver in the US yet. If you can find someone in Europe to ship you one, it's for sale here.

The RDS-TMC USB receiver that comes with the US sold XL340/350 TM works in the US and Europe. I just tried my receiver in France and Spain and it works for both the US and European frequencies.

The RDS-TMC USB receiver that comes with the US sold XL340/350 TM works in the US and Europe. I just tried my receiver in France and Spain and it works for both the US and European frequencies.

Yes. But for now it's only for sale with a new Tomtom in the US. Hasn't been sold standalone yet.

Ask a Question