What size memory cards can a One XL use? Also - 330 XLS memory limit bad

Forgive me if I'm asking a question that is in an faq or what-not. I'm making this a thread only because I've not been able to get a definitive answer elsewhere.

I have a TomTom One XL which I need to upgrade the memory on. The TomTom website only has info pertaining to official support of 2gb memory sticks I believe - but I've read much mention of using 4 gb memory sticks and up.

So I guess my question is in the title - What's the largest size memory stick a one-xl can actually take advantage of?

Is it still 2 gigs or have firmware updates increased this?

As an aside - as I mentioned in my previous thread I also recently bought a 330 XLS. When I ordered it I had no idea that it had the internal memory limit and NO memory stick capabilities.

In and of itself this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world - except that right out of the box, in order to update the device/maps you are forced to remove functionality from the unit i.e. delete quite a bit of data, because it has insufficient memory.

I have to say that is some unfortunate/bad design. It's a shame - because otherwise it's a pretty cool little unit. I really hope they find some way to fix the issue.

For a definitive answer to the size of sd card your model can handle, call support at 866-486-6866. (I **think** 2 gigs might be the max).

a 4gig topram card (they make a non sdhc version) would work in the one XL if you can find one. otherwise it's 2 gig max NON sdhc cards.

I use the 4 gig topram card in my one.

a 4gig topram card (they make a non sdhc version) would work in the one XL if you can find one. otherwise it's 2 gig max NON sdhc cards.

I use the 4 gig topram card in my one.

Thank you for the reply. I'm going to try and hunt down the 4 gig card. So it has to be that specific brand? Or are they just the only manufacturer that makes compatible cards that size?

I did a search a while back looking for something bigger than 2 gig and the only one I could find was the topram one. Found mine on ebay

here's a link to one

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOPRAM-150X-4GB...AQ-HTC_W0QQitemZ370126389298QQcmdZViewItemQQp

be careful when searching, there are also 4gig topram cards that are sdhc which will not work. the labels are almost identical, but the high capacity ones do have SDHC on the label.

Last edited:
At the end of January, it will be one year since I've started using my TopRam 4GB SDHC without problem provided I use it in conjonction with a SDHC reader instead of in the TT linked with the USB cable for any file update.

On the road the SDHC card worked perfectly, I can do screen dumps to high addresses and it can read all the POI stored on the SDHC card as well as any other data.

The problem area is when the card is inside the TT slot, linked to the PC with the USB cable and wanting to update any non very small files. I could update the QuickFix but could have problems with the QuickFix related files such as ServerNameIndex.dat around 735KB etc. If I did the same with the SDHC card in a card reader, no problem whatsoever. TT Home recognizes the SDHC card in the card reader the same way it recognizes the TT internal memory because of the presence of NavCore (ttsystem) and will update your ephemeris, maps, voices, POI and whatever else you wish.

The problem stems from the fact all TT ONE models use the same highly integrated Samsung chipset that features the old USB standard v1.1 that is outdated and very very slow on the USB cable. I keep updating the internal memory to keep it equivalent to the SDHC card as a safety measure. I could lose the SDHC card by accident but internal memory could get me out of a bind in such a situation. I also have a hd backup of all updates. Whenever I go for a drive, I bring my TT that always has the SDHC card in the TT slot and never could associate a problem related to its use. SDHC adapters are quite cheap and often supplied with the SDHC card.

At the end of January, it will be one year since I've started using my TopRam 4GB SDHC without problem provided I use it in conjonction with a SDHC reader instead of in the TT linked with the USB cable for any file update.

On the road the SDHC card worked perfectly, I can do screen dumps to high addresses and it can read all the POI stored on the SDHC card as well as any other data.

The problem area is when the card is inside the TT slot, linked to the PC with the USB cable and wanting to update any non very small files. I could update the QuickFix but could have problems with the QuickFix related files such as ServerNameIndex.dat around 735KB etc. If I did the same with the SDHC card in a card reader, no problem whatsoever. TT Home recognizes the SDHC card in the card reader the same way it recognizes the TT internal memory because of the presence of NavCore (ttsystem) and will update your ephemeris, maps, voices, POI and whatever else you wish.

The problem stems from the fact all TT ONE models use the same highly integrated Samsung chipset that features the old USB standard v1.1 that is outdated and very very slow on the USB cable. I keep updating the internal memory to keep it equivalent to the SDHC card as a safety measure. I could lose the SDHC card by accident but internal memory could get me out of a bind in such a situation. I also have a hd backup of all updates. Whenever I go for a drive, I bring my TT that always has the SDHC card in the TT slot and never could associate a problem related to its use. SDHC adapters are quite cheap and often supplied with the SDHC card.

So any 4G SDHC could work if we follow your method of updating it?

So any 4G SDHC could work if we follow your method of updating it?

Provided you copy the entire content of the internal memory to the SDHC card, it should work properly. That is because of another limitation of the Samsung integrated chipset that limits the TT ONE models to use either the internal memory or only the SD card. It can't use both at the same time such as on GO models. If you don't, the TT will show a red ?X? at the boot.

If you get a brand new SDHC card, it should already be in FAT32 format as it is required by the SDHC standard and should work right from the package. At least that has been my experience on both my SDHC cards: the mentioned TopRam 4GB and a new PNY 8GB recently acquired. I have updated my BootLoader, responsible for the SDHC access, and have yet to fully test high address access by copying data to ensure > 4GB addresses.

Provided you copy the entire content of the internal memory to the SDHC card, it should work properly. That is because of another limitation of the Samsung integrated chipset that limits the TT ONE models to use either the internal memory or only the SD card. It can't use both at the same time such as on GO models. If you don't, the TT will show a red ?X? at the boot.

If you get a brand new SDHC card, it should already be in FAT32 format as it is required by the SDHC standard and should work right from the package. At least that has been my experience on both my SDHC cards: the mentioned TopRam 4GB and a new PNY 8GB recently acquired. I have updated my BootLoader, responsible for the SDHC access, and have yet to fully test high address access by copying data to ensure > 4GB addresses.

Can you upgrade the bootloader on a ONE XL-S? How? I had problems with slow speed 2GB SD and TTS voices, so got a class-6 SDHC card 4GB (they are much cheaper than 2GB it seems today) but then found they are not supported.

I understand about using my SDHC card reader (USB 2.0) instead of plugging my TomTom directly (I already was doing this when I had backed up/restore to the 2GB card).

TIA!

Ask a Question