TomTom One XL330 Formatted, Help!

I got a TomTom XL 330 for my birthday (yesterday) from my wife. She had bought it months ago at a sale that was going on at a local computer shop. Well I guess she went and set it up but instead of setting it up normally the PC asked to format the device before allowing it to be used, the device is now wiped clean :(

Is there any way to restore it?? Please I really want to get this working, I attempted to return it but it was past the 30 day return policy.

I would greatly appreciate anyones help/suggestions.

Make sure it is formatted as fat32.

If you have made a backup, you can just restore the backup.

If you haven't made a backup, you can download and unzip the file below and copy the entire contents to your device.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.010.9369.gox30.cab

Your problem will be the map, tomtom 800# support may be able to get you a map, but there's a chance you'll have to buy another one.

Like I said when she connected it, the TomTom Home software didn't get a chance to pop up and initialize thus no backup was ever made.

If I'm able to find someone with the stock maps, will I be able to zip them and use them on my GPS?

No. Maps are serial-number locked. Hopefully you can plead your case to tomtom support.

Hmmmm.... one idea:

I used to use hard drive recovery software in the past. It can recover stuff from SD cards that were quick-formatted, not full-formatted. And a 330 holds what is essentially an internal SD card.

I liked winhex (winhex.com) but its most useful features were payment-locked (and I eventually paid for it).

You can download the free winhex version to check if it can even see your map folder. Maybe freeware competitors exists that can pull the map folder from your formatted device.

As they say "Oh gee". Well maybe not. If you are unable to recover at least try giving tomtom support a call. In the past there have been moments of compassion and they have helped several of our members out of tight places not unlike yours.

I gave TomTom a call today. The person that was helping me out was completely useless, they kept directing me to restoring a backup, which I don't have. I don't understand why these people can't troubleshoot things that arn't written down on a peice of paper.

Try re-calling them. Maybe you'll get a compassionate one.

Try installing the program I linked below, at least you'll get the tomtom turning on and saying no map found. Then get the latest updates from tomtom home including a standard voice.

You never know, maybe latest map guarantee will still work via home?

Or try to convince a rep that the latest map at the time you bought the tomtom (you may have to fax in your receipt) is version 815 (released Nov 11), and it's still the current map so it would be "fair" if you ask for a download of it. They have the technical ability to load one up for you, you'll just have to convince support that it is the compassionate thing to do.

Maybe requesting a supervisor will help.

Another option is to play "dumb".

Tomtoms have a 1yr manufacturer's warranty. Call and say "it's not working, I don't know why". If they can't fix over the phone then demand a warranty replacement.

Ask a Question