TT XL 330 Won't turn on, please help!

Hello all you TomTom heroes, please help me! The other day whilst in use my TomTom just switched off, and won't go back on. I have tried holding the button down for 15 secs, nothing happens. Any other ideas?? It is only a couple of weeks old and i NEED it as I live in London and have no idea where i'm going most of the time - please help!!

I have plugged it in to charge in my computer at work and the wee green light comes on so i think it is charging??

Thanks!!

Allie:)

When it is plugged into the car charger, do you have the same problem of not turning on??

If so, and you have tried a rest with the power key, it may be a hardware issue (if three weeks old, then it's a warranty situation).

It won't turn on in the car either although I thought the little light was orange in the car? I am gonna try charging it again tonight and see if connecting it to the disc that came with it will help?

Not sure what disc you are referring to..but light in the car will be green as well.

well I hadn't even put the disc that comes with the thing on my computer yet, I guess it syncs the computer with the Tomtom? So if the charger light is orange, there could be a problem, have you heard of this before? Thanks for your help btw!:)

When you connect to the computer, what colour is the light? I'd say to keep it connected for a few hours to try to recharge the battery (though charging with a car charger will go faster) and see what happens then.

Since the unit is only a couple of weeks old and you have an urgent need, I suggest you try to get the reseller to swap the unit out for you. Most resellers have a 30 day exchange or refund policy.

right, I have charged it for a long time at home (a green light comes on when plugged into the computer, but still yellowy orange in car) and it is still not switching on.

It was a gift so trying to find out where it came from to see if we can exchange it, but is it really broken? Anyone else got suggestions as to what it might be??

Thanks for your help techie dudes!

Call Tomtom phone support. They should be able to warranty exchange it if it's brand new. Usually they ask for a receipt, but the are flexible sometimes with gifts as the devices internally log the first time they've been turned on.

First make sure it's a known good power cord (try another one, most USB cords are compatible). If, when plugged in overnight, you can't get it to turn on show something on the screen by holding the power button forever (at least 60 seconds), then you've probably got a hardware fault that needs warranty repair.

@vagi.... you're replying in a topic that's over two years old, and because the OP's device was only a couple of weeks old, he was advised to just take it back under warranty.

If that's not the situation for you, then come back with some more details of your exact symptoms... are they EXACTLY the same as the ones above, and have you already tried the reset procedure?

Symptoms

When I tried to turn on the device yesterday it did not turned on. When it was plugged to the car the light was orange. When I plugged it into my laptop it was green. I tried to reset it but it does not respondeven when I kept pressing on button for about even 1 min. I bought this from a person who left my university since he graduated about two weeks ago. He did not give me the receipt. But I can give you the serial number.

My tomtom xl 330 won't turn ON

I bought it from a person not from a store. So do you think is there anyway that you can help me to fix this? thanks

Can you access the storage memory when it is connected to a PC? It should be recognised as a new disk drive.

Can you access the storage memory when it is connected to a PC? It should be recognised as a new disk drive.

@ Andy_P No I don't see anything. But the green light is on in the GPS when I plug it into the computer. That means it is charging right? Thanks

The green light is pretty basic.
Ages ago there was a faulty batch of cigarette lighter chargers which fed a full 12 Volts up the TomToms instead of the correct 5 Volts. That was enough to instantly fry some of the internal components and kill the units completely. But the green LED still lit up fine.

I'm not saying that's what has happened to your unit, butit does sound like it could be a total hardware failure.

If you cannot get it to respond at all or to be seen by a PC, I'm afraid there's not a lot we can suggest to try.

Ask a Question