330s computer voice won't read street names

my 330s computer voice won't read the proper street names, its always "turn right or left on 12th. and 1/4 street" all the time. it navigates correct though. i haven't tried running a restore yet. any suggestions? thanks

yes i have 2 different ones and tried both. they say the same thing. i just did a restore, lost a few things but oh well I'll get em back. i will try it out on the road tomorrow to see if it works.

You have me wondering if you really know that you have a _computer_ voice installed. I say this because I had no space left on my 1GB internal memory to install a second computer voice and had to delete one to make room for the other... The second reason is the speech behaviour is that of non-computer voices.

There is a remote possibility that you did not choose the option to read aloud foreign names and those road names happen to be considered foreign.

Make a full backup (see the sticky threads in here), delete a computer voice, in Home, go to add maps etc and choose add a computer voice and report back after testing.

i have 2 computer voices...SAMANTHA and TOM. now when i go to delete samantha a warning comes up and says "if you remove this item your device will not work properly" ,tom i can delete though. i tried both voices and both read street names the same. i have all boxes checked to read street names and foregen names. i have always used SAMANATHA and she used to read my street name or tried to atleast "lougeay road" but now its "12th. and a fourth avenue" i do have a backup i made a month ago when i know she worked, i ran that last night and it still won't read street names.

heres another thing on my device when i select samantha voice directly i can choose read street names but if i select a non computer voice a thing comes up and says about "recorded voices will not read names and warnings, do you want to choose a computer voice?" if i choose yes the boxes for read street names and foregin names are grayed out and cannot be checked.

I had that problem before and it was a some type of corruption issue. The tomtom called every street the exact same name. A number of pin resets fixed it for me.

If pin resets don't work for you, what if you go to Home and download a non-computer standard voice (eg mandy). They try switching from computer to non computer and back. That may fix the bug.

Also, you don't need to drive to test it out. If you go into route demo at 200% or slower, it will read out turn directions.

What I've done on a few occasions when being at a loss of solutions is run a ?chkdsk x: /f? where x: is the internal drive letter. What this does is check the data integrity on the device and that the FAT tables are good. Corrupted data can cause all kinds of weird things from aborts to really weird behavior.

so after 4 calls to tomtom support they sent me the newest version of usa and canada maps and that solved it:D. i went through deleting, running clearflash and nothing worked. they said if the new map didn't work they would send me a new unit but i'm good to go. i still don't know what caused it. thanks for the replys......i haved learned alot from this site.

Ask a Question