Why the useless mail from tomtom?

Connected my GO5100 to MyDrive Connect again today and it says Updates Available! with a red Go To Shop button to click.
I checked my serial number and my device was compatible with the offered update to Map Version 11.20 BUT at a cost .... so much for lifetime updates ....
1 year subscription being £44.95p
or
A single update for £39.95p

I checked my device and it already has Map version 11.25 installed and active, which I guess is more recent than the subscription version on offer.

This all seems a bit of a con wanting us to spend money when the device was sold with Lifetime updates.
It makes me think of moving over to the iOS TomTom GO App and run it on my phone which is far less expensive to subscribe to, if that is what we are now expected to do.
The latest map version is 11.25 so wait until the end of May to see if version 11.30 is available to you.
Question: what map is currently installed on your GPS?

It makes me think of moving over to the iOS TomTom GO App and run it on my phone which is far less expensive…
Wait a few weeks. If TomTom will offer the next new map next month for free for your device (I am now shure, that this will happen), then you don’t need to pay for something new.

Hi there @beechnut -

Your GO5100 like mine came with lifetime maps, traffic and speed cameras. You don’t need to click on anything to purchase. TomTom is having a bit of an issue presently, so as @Silberpfeil states - next month should see the release of the newest maps. Strange that I haven’t received any of those daft emails.

The latest map version is 11.25 so wait until the end of May to see if version 11.30 is available to you.
Question: what map is currently installed on your GPS?
Version 11.25 is installed on my GO5100. Will wait with interest to see what happens.

I received a correction email from TomTom today. So maybe they do listen to their UK community of users, sometimes.
Snagged a copy from another user:

1713326352864.png

Last edited:
I wonder if the monetary request was for live traffic.
Shouldn’t be, my GO5100 came with “Lifetime” Maps, Traffic and Speed Cameras, which are all still active and functioning as they should.

Hi everyone, I was upset at the link to buy a new Tomtom that wasn't a motorcycle specific item. And also that the "lifetime" maps had come to an end. A lack of proper communication is always a problem. Having just read all the replies, it appears from post #47 that it may have been sent in error. Thanks canderson for that reply. I understand that Tomtom needs to make money to survive. don't mind that I have to pay for speed camera updates now, and wouldn't even mind, if there information didn't say "lifetime updates", if they only expected to support the product, for say 10 years, and it said "10 years" of updates, that would be fine. As you would then know exactly where you stood. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one to have had this email. Thank you all for your replies. This attachment shows the email that I had as well. Regards. Robbie.

Attachments

• Tomtom email about map update end.jpg
    Tomtom email about map update end.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question