Why the useless mail from tomtom?

The next map update is (I think) next month. I am curios if everithing will work fine or TomTom really killed all this older PNA devices... šŸ˜š

the TomTom chatbot now lists "Latest maps not compatible email" which explains that the email was sent in error and lets you check your device serial number to confirm that it does, indeed, still work. Certainly did for my Go Premium X, which is only 4 years old.

I registered here today because I got the same email and want to know what's going on. Here's the text:

A new TomTom device awaits you​

We noticed that your current SatNav is incompatible with TomTomā€™s latest map update and needs to be replaced. It has been a while since your Rider 550 was updated. Roads change all the time, our maps do too.

But donā€™t worry, we have the hardware upgrade you need right here, so we can continue the journey together easier and faster. To make the change smoother, we are giving you an exclusive discount of 35%.

Hovering over the "buy now" button shows a URL from TomTom.com, so I clicked it. 404-page not found. I booted up my 550 and it's updating just fine.

I'm in California.
Had this Email too .... "We noticed that your current SatNav is incompatible with TomTom's latest map update......." Strangely enough my GO5100 updated perfectly today, so am not falling for this.

It seems to be either a poorly thought out sales pitch, desined to scare people into upgrading their SatNav devices. Those on offer to me were the GO Navigator, GO Exclusive and GO Superior Premium Pack all at a price even with their offered discount. Or could it be a scam / phishing attempt as clicking "Learn More" about the GO Exclusive took me to 404 Error Page not found and checking on the TomTom main website there is no GO Exclusive listed under their products.

In fact a bit of Googling indicated that TomTom were no longer selling portable SatNav units in the USA and Canada, apparently due to fall in demand due to the popularity of in car displays and smartphone apps. I suppose it is only a matter of time till these portable SatNav devices are discontinued in other regions too.

Hi all at tomtom forums. I have a 2017 tomtom rider 410, which is a waterproof motorcycle sat-nav. today I get an email from tomtom saying that it won't accept the new maps so I should buy a new GO navigator 6". Great, but, it appears that....It's not a motorcycle one, and bigger than the current one that I'm happy with. So just like my 2008 Mercedes sat-nav, I won't be able to get updates any more. The funny thing is, generally, roads to tend to stay in the same place. So, give it another 10 years or so, maybe I'll consider it, if I'm still alive.....or unless they come up with something that is actually a marked improvement on my current one.
I have received the same email notification for my Go Premium 6" which is not yet 3yrs old.
So much for the somewhat misleading sales statement about updates for the life of the product.

I have received the same email notification for my Go Premium 6" which is not yet 3yrs old.
So much for the somewhat misleading sales statement about updates for the life of the product.
As I have been noting in several recent posts, TomTom displays a seeming determination to shed itself of hardware and its support.
Buyer beware.

I think that TomTom will stop selling this PNA devices in the near future, and not much later they will stop the support of all PNA devices.
I am not shure, that I would by a new PNA in 2024 (with or without a discount), because I don't belive in a looong support for this things.

This email seems like a marketing ploy to compel people to abandon their reliable systems and forcibly purchase TT's inventory. The email also mentions a 30% discount. However, when consumers go to select the (forced) product, services such as maps/updates, parking, and EV charging points are only valid for 1 or 1.5 years. This strongly suggests that consumers will have to spend more money after these services expire.
Moreover, the email (and the website) does not clarify what happens with the promised "Lifetime updates." Do we lose that benefit? Does it continue with the new devices, or are we all downgraded to a standard recurring membership (pay-as-you-use)?

This email seems like a marketing ploy to compel people to abandon their reliable systems and forcibly purchase TT's inventory.
No, that's not what's happening. The person(s) responsible for handling the model selection criterion when sending out this bulk email screwed the pooch big time. Understand that sending such a message to a North American user, for example, isn't going to benefit TomTom. They're no longer delivering units to the U.S., and there's practically zero inventory left anywhere here. So no point at all encouraging owners to purchase something that doesn't exist. In fact, this is the case everywhere apart from Europe.

This was just one massive mistake which TomTom has already acknowledged. I have encouraged them to admit the error and send out retraction emails to those who should not have received the original email, but ...

Making an email sending error can happen to anyone, even to Tomtom.
As they often say, only those who do nothing never make a mistake.
True, but this one ranks right up there as the worst kind.

@GMONEY What was the previous TomTom device that you had before the GO Supreme? As I suspect that the email refers to that
Niall;

Hi. Thanks for responding to my post.

The email that I was sent was not refering an older device.

The email from TomTom specifically referenced my TomTom Go 6 Supreme by seriel number:

"This message is applicable for your device with serial number ZE3499I00211. To update your profile log in with your TomTom account and click My Products."

ZE3499I00211 is the serial number for my TomTom Go 6 Supreme.

Super disappointed @TomTom at this point.

The email concluded with:

"But donā€™t worry, we have the hardware upgrade you need right here, so we can continue the journey together easier and faster. To make the change smoother, we are giving you an exclusive discount of 35%."

It included a button labled, "Buy Now". When clicked, got a 404 error; page not found.

Today when I click that button; I get a ERR_ADDRESS_INVALID error.

This level of obnoxiousness/incompetence is incredulous

The link is:

TomTom's customer support is limited to a automated online chat bot...doesn't seem to be anyway to talk to a real person.

Even more pissed off.

Their website (https://www.tomtom.com/) seems to be abandoned and isn't being maintained.

There is nowhere on their website to purpchase any of their devices.....not that I'm thinking about purchaceing anything from TomTom at this point anyway.

I've never seen this level of amateurishness before, but, TomTom takes it to a whole new level.

My TomTom Go 6 Supreme has plenty of onboard storage free @4.233 GB along with a completly unused 32 GB SD card in the expansion slot......plenty of storage for maps....BUT somehow "...your current SatNav is incompatible with TomTomā€™s latest map update and needs to be replaced."

I'm going to pass on purchaseing another $350+ GPS device even with a 35% discount offer that can't be redeemed...from TomTom that they could arbitrarily decide to stop providing support for at any time.

In contrast you can go to Garmin's website (https://www.garmin.com); quite obviously being well maintained. You can click on any product displayed and buy it within @4 clicks with 0 broken links.

They are even supporting some of their discontinued devices that are 10 years old with map updates.

I have a old Garmin Nuvi 2557 (7+ years old) with ancient hardware that they are STILL providing support for with map updates. It has less total storage (7GB); less free storage (547 MB) then my TomTom Go 6 Premium with 16 GB total storage with 4.233 free AND was still able to be updated with the current map (March 2024) with no problems.

Time to comeback from the darkside and go back to Garmin.

No, that's not what's happening. The person(s) responsible for handling the model selection criterion when sending out this bulk email screwed the pooch big time. Understand that sending such a message to a North American user, for example, isn't going to benefit TomTom. They're no longer delivering units to the U.S., and there's practically zero inventory left anywhere here. So no point at all encouraging owners to purchase something that doesn't exist. In fact, this is the case everywhere apart from Europe.

This was just one massive mistake which TomTom has already acknowledged. I have encouraged them to admit the error and send out retraction emails to those who should not have received the original email, but ...
Thanks for your candor.

I disagree with
there's practically zero inventory left anywhere here

There are still 3rd party sellers here in the USA with plenty of inventory selling TomTom devices. Also, this DOES benifit TomTom financially...they are still selling TomTom devices outside the USA...most notably in Europe.

This is 2024 Canderson, there's something called a world wide economy with no borders. There's plenty of companys in Europe that will sell me a TomTom GPS device and ship it to me in the USA.

The way they handled sending out that email was pure incompetantance...1,000,000%

"But donā€™t worry, we have the hardware upgrade you need right here, so we can continue the journey together easier and faster. To make the change smoother, we are giving you an exclusive discount of 35%."

It included a button labled, "Buy Now". When clicked, got a 404 error; page not found.

If they are abandoning the US market then they need to @#$@#$@#$@$@ hurry the @#$@#$@#$ up and do it yesterday.

It won't be any great loss. Garmin's products are superior...TomTom already lost to Garmin.

My TomTom Go 6 Supreme is likely my last TomTom product....>>>>Garmin DriveSmart 65 or Garmind DriveSmnart 76.

Attachments

• TomTom2.jpg
    TomTom2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for your candor.

I disagree with

There are still 3rd party sellers here in the USA with plenty of inventory selling TomTom devices. Also, this DOES benifit TomTom financially...they are still selling TomTom devices outside the USA...most notably in Europe.

This is 2024 Canderson, there's something called a world wide economy with no borders. There's plenty of companys in Europe that will sell me a TomTom GPS device and ship it to me in the USA.

The way they handled sending out that email was pure incompetantance...1,000,000%

If they are abandoning the US market then they need to @#$@#$@#$@$@ hurry the @#$@#$@#$ up and do it yesterday.

It won't be any great loss. Garmin's products are superior...TomTom already lost to Garmin.

My TomTom Go 6 Supreme is likely my last TomTom product....>>>>Garmin DriveSmart 65 or Garmind DriveSmnart 76.
I think you're rather missing the point. Inventory of TT devices in North America is extremely limited - at numbers not seen since about 2010 - and no more will be sold into the North America market by TomTom. Anything that comes in now through distribution or retail will be strictly 'gray market goods'. When I said "here", I meant it. Yes, you can purchase from across the pond, but don't bother with Austral-Asia markets either -- TomTom has bailed there as well. Europe is the last stop for the TomTom PND market.

"If they are abandoning the US market then they need to @#$@#$@#$@$@ hurry the @#$@#$@#$ up and do it yesterday."

They've already done so in interviews and press releases in early January. Many articles written on the topic:

"It won't be any great loss. Garmin's products are superior...TomTom already lost to Garmin."

In several ways, I'd agree, and I prefer Garmin's feature set to any of the more recent TomTom products. For traffic, TomTom still wins hands down. And frankly, I generally know how to get from A to B. My wife used to ask why I'd put in an address for somewhere we both knew perfectly well. It's whether a particular route is the better one at the moment that matters, and that's often down to traffic information. I'd say about 90% of my driving is in that mode vs. "Where is this place???" mode.

As I have been noting in several recent posts, TomTom displays a seeming determination to shed itself of hardware and its support.
Buyer beware.

Hope you kept the email - sound like you and others might have grounds for a Breach of contract lawsuit

It has lifetime map updates until they decide they don't want to support it anymore...

I got the same email; mines about 3 years old too. I also have the same model - TomTom Premium 6 too.

We noticed that your current SatNav is incompatible with TomTomā€™s latest map update and needs to be replaced. It has been a while since your GO Supreme 6 was updated. Roads change all the time, our maps do too.

But donā€™t worry, we have the hardware upgrade you need right here, so we can continue the journey together easier and faster. To make the change smoother, we are giving you an exclusive discount of 35%.

it's suddenly "....incompatible with TomTomā€™s latest map update"

Complete lie. I last updated my maps in January 2024 and the next update is due to be released in May 2024.

Also, my Tomtom still has 4.233 GB of internal storage free and the entire 32 GB SD card free which I installed in the expansion slot. The expansion card isn't being used at all.

When I click on the Buy Now button, I get a 404 error, page not found.....

Reminds me of the Star Wars quote:

Star Wars - "I'm altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."​

Attachments

• TomTom2.jpg
    TomTom2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 6
@GMONEY
Read prior posts. Email was sent in error to a great many owners. See next post:

Last edited:
To all those with fairly recent devices - those built in the last 10 years or so -

If you go into the TomTom online assistant, one of the issues you can ask about is ā€œEmail says latest maps are not compatibleā€

Chose this option and it will say that emails have been sent out by mistake. Type in the serial number of your device and it will confirm that maps could be updated.

To all those with fairly recent devices - those built in the last 10 years or so -

If you go into the TomTom online assistant, one of the issues you can ask about is ā€œEmail says latest maps are not compatibleā€

Chose this option and it will say that emails have been sent out by mistake. Type in the serial number of your device and it will confirm that maps could be updated.
Connected my GO5100 to MyDrive Connect again today and it says Updates Available! with a red Go To Shop button to click.
I checked my serial number and my device was compatible with the offered update to Map Version 11.20 BUT at a cost .... so much for lifetime updates ....
1 year subscription being Ā£44.95p
or
A single update for Ā£39.95p

I checked my device and it already has Map version 11.25 installed and active, which I guess is more recent than the subscription version on offer.

This all seems a bit of a con wanting us to spend money when the device was sold with Lifetime updates.
It makes me think of moving over to the iOS TomTom GO App and run it on my phone which is far less expensive to subscribe to, if that is what we are now expected to do.

Ask a Question