why does tom tom hate me? start europe 25

so I had to go to this very important meeting and take work friends with me, on the way the *bleeping* thing kept telling me to go on the A roads, I dont know why it hates the m11 and m25 so much!?!? If I had known thats all I had to do I would not have even used the tom tom because I go one way and it keeps telling me to turn around until I turn it off! on the way back I just did not even bother trying to use it but on the way there I had no idea where I was going and relied on tom tom 100% which was a huge mistake because I drove through windy bendy roads in the middle on nowhere with tractors heading towards me cleaning roads and I nearly crashed a few times driving on SNOW.. GRRRR I am ready to smash the device and just start printing out directions from the internet.. why does this damn thing hate the motor ways?:(

and not to mention paying to update maps? I could buy a new device with the amount I would have to pay to update it.. though I dont because soon I shall buy a car with a built in sat nav, though my iphone 5 uses tom tom I am told and my car will use google maps and I found google maps loves the m25 where as tom tom wants to take you from London via AUSTRALIA to cambridge.. whats up with that?!!?

sorry its just so annoying what happened to me a 1.5 hour journey turned into a 3 hour one and I looked stupid in front of all my colleagues :( :mad:

What model do you have? Is it a LIVE model? What map and application are on the device?

What model do you have? Is it a LIVE model? What map and application are on the device?

how do I find what map and application I have? I always keep it updated with free updates but the maps has never been updated. I looked for the most expensive Tom Tom I could find and bought it at the time which was 18 or so months ago now

It's this model http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004W1GQEC/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00 (no spam intended) I am not a seller!

TomTom Start 25 5" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 countries)

Item Weight: 213 g
Boxed-product Weight: 454 g
Item model number: 25 - Europe
ASIN: B004W1GQEC
Date first available at Amazon.co.uk: 25 April 2011

@dhn - It's a START 25 with Europe maps, says so in the title.

So it's NOT a LIVE model, which takes away any "traffic" reasons for the peculiar routing

@Unleashed...
Obviously, most TomToms do NOT avoid motorways, so we have to find a reason why your particular device is doing so.

Two things to check straight away
1. Have you accidentally got it set to "Always plan shortest routes"?
2. Have you accidentally got it set to "Always avoid motorways"?

Both of those can be checked and changed in the in the Settings --> Route planning menu.

Another thing to check...
If you ask the TomTom to re-create that journey now, does it still produce a strange route?

You can do that by using "Plan Route" (rather than "Navigate to..."). Once the route has been calculated, tap "Details" on the route summary screen followed by "Show map of route".

Finally, it's worth mentioning that the START 25 definitely isn't "the most expensive Tom Tom I could find", the START models are the cheapest of the three main product ranges sold by TomTom.

It seems I do have it set to shortest route, but the route it took me on the other day added 1.5 hours and was not shorter?

App: 12.045.1067676.84(0)0 (2041, 19/9/2012), so 1017068
Map: Europe v875.3611, release date: 7/2011

I hope that's the right info that you asked for.

It seems I do have it set to shortest route...

That will explain it all!

"Shortest" route calculations will simply do their best to fit to a straight line drawn between the start and end points.

Switch it to "Fastest"(or "Eco" if you have it) and you should get MUCH more sensible routing. Do some demo routes to see the difference.

Thanks, I shall try it and see if it tries to take me through a roads again when I go into London next, I really appreciate your help,

I just put it on echo and demo and its taken me onto the m11! THanks so much! I only wish I knew this the other day lol but better late then never, thanks a lot

My pleasure! Glad we got it sorted fairly quickly.

Ask a Question