Where are QuickGPSFixes?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
My device hasn't had trouble locating satellites, even with pin resets on an airplane, but I'm still wondering why I haven't had a QuickGPSFix in over 2 weeks.

Do you use a sd card? When in home perhaps try the location where the map is NOT located if using the card in your unit for updating.

I can't recall ever actually seeing "QuickGPSfix" come up on my screen when plugged into my HOME.

Not quite sure what you mean dhn....

On my Rider2, I have to have the SD card in place at all times.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Thanks dhn. I have definatly never seen that on my screen. All that ever shows is MapShare updates.

I tried gettin QuickGPSfix thru HOME going to the TomTom services on my Rider2, but all I got was a red screen with "error" on it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Do you use a sd card? When in home perhaps try the location where the map is NOT located if using the card in your unit for updating.

Cmon dhn I thought you knew everything :) ONE XL units can't use both internal memory and SD card at the same time, it's either or, therefore The OS + Map MUST be on both memories. But even still, there are no updates lately whether I plug into home with or without the SD card. And the question isn't really whether I have the fixes or not, I do, but I'm asking why there haven't been any new ones out lately.

Don't worry dhn, I'm coming your way with a 720 next week!!!!! Then we'll be on the same page :)

My device hasn't had trouble locating satellites, even with pin resets on an airplane, but I'm still wondering why I haven't had a QuickGPSFix in over 2 weeks.
wow.... the moment I reset with the pin, it'll take > 1hr to find a satellite unless I'm in my hometown.

Getting a Fresh QuickGPSfix

Here's what I do on my ONE LE if it seems like I'm not getting QuickGPSfix updates.

In HOME:
1 - Select 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices, etc.'
2 - Hit 'More' until I see 'Items on my Computer'
3 - Select 'Items on my Computer'
4 - Expand (hit the +) 'QuickGPSfix data' item
5 - Hit 'Add' for the second update on the list
6 - Hit 'Back'
7 - Hit 'Back'
8 - Select 'Update my One'

An update for QuickGPSfix is always offered. I am confident that it is the latest update.

Here's what I do on my ONE LE if it seems like I'm not getting QuickGPSfix updates.

In HOME:
6 - Hit 'Back'
7 - Hit 'Back'

An update for QuickGPSfix is always offered. I am confident that it is the latest update.

Just for fun I tried what you suggested and loaded an older QuickGpsFix and then went back to home page and clicked on update my device and it gave me the latest GPSfix as an option to download.

I haven't had any problems with QuickGPSfix at all but there was a problem with mapshare for a short time but that seems to be ok now as well.

As a foot note when I connect to home I usually update my internal memory first with N/A map on it then click on operate my GPS in home then switch maps to C/W Europe then go to device manager and switch to SD card then update it.
There is a different QuickGPSfix for Europe than N/A

Well, I tried last night to get any Mapshare and/or QuickFix updates, but I see that once again in my MapShare pref's that there is no country listed. When I go to the Countries tab, it looks like its downloading something, but ends say saying "no items available".

When I go thru the prefs on my device, and navigate to the QuickGPSFix, it again looks like its trying, but ends up with a red screen saying "Error".

The Rider2 has to have its card in at all times, with the card out it wont function with or without being connected to the puter.

Will try again later tonight and see what happens, and will try hamilbs suggestions as well.

I suspect all is well QuickFix-wise, as it acquires a fix very quickly, but its nice to know whats-what.

Cheers

Last edited:
Update:

Today I get a MapShare update, and of course my country shows up on the list.

However, I did as hamilbs suggested, and there is no QuickGPSFix item on the list of "items on my computer". I also checked on the device itself, no such item.

Odd, as the TT website states that Riders get the QuickFix...I have never seen one yet appear on my downloads.

Just wondering, but do I have to have a Bluetooth connection thru a phone to actually recieve these updates, or will I recieve them thru HOME?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Last edited:
I have always received my updates thru Home. On a few occasions I got my QuickFix with a simple download from FireFox that simulates what Home does to get it. There was a post describing it around here. Depending on your gps chipset (SirfStar or Hammerhead) it downloads a different file containing the ephemeris suitable for your chipset.

I often get the latest 'QuickGPSFix' without using HOME. It depends on what version chipset you have on your TomTom on what file you need...

If it's "lto.dat" you need, you can get it here:
http://home.tomtom.com/download/Eph...eeProvider=globalLocate&devicecode=AKWAQBAAQZ

If it's "packedephemeris.ee" file you need, get it here:
http://home.tomtom.com/download/Ephemeris.cab?type=ephemeris&eeProvider=SiRFStarIII&devicecode=2

If you don't know which chipset you have - and therefore which file you need, look in your 'ephem' directory to see what type file is listed. After downloading the cabinet folder, just copy the one file to your ephem directory. The date will be messed up, but just ignore that.

Hope this helps.

In HOME:
6 - Hit 'Back'
7 - Hit 'Back'

This worked for my One LE. :):):)

When I go to #3 on that list, there is no #4.

I have added the ephem file to my device and inserted the ephemeris file into it as instructed by some other users, to no avail......

cheers

If it is of any consolation, there are some users who NEVER download quickgpsfixes when they are available .... and their units function quite well, perhaps slightly slower in grabbing a signal, that's all.

I often get the latest 'QuickGPSFix' without using HOME. It depends on what version chipset you have on your TomTom on what file you need...

If it's "lto.dat" you need, you can get it here:
http://home.tomtom.com/download/Eph...eeProvider=globalLocate&devicecode=AKWAQBAAQZ

If it's "packedephemeris.ee" file you need, get it here:
http://home.tomtom.com/download/Ephemeris.cab?type=ephemeris&eeProvider=SiRFStarIII&devicecode=2

If you don't know which chipset you have - and therefore which file you need, look in your 'ephem' directory to see what type file is listed. After downloading the cabinet folder, just copy the one file to your ephem directory. The date will be messed up, but just ignore that.

Hope this helps.

Just curious, if you dont download thru HOME, how do you ?

When I click on those links, I get the actual file open up, not a web site.

cheers

After going over everything and trying all sorts of suggestions, I suspect now that the Rider is not equiped to recieve Quickfix's.

Another RR2 owner checked his unit, and does not have the required files and has never recieved updates.

Now when I look on the web site, the Rider series isnt listed;

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=18&l=22

The thing that gets me, is I have spoken to 2 TT reps and there has been no mention of this....

Not going to worry about it any further.

Cheers

After going over everything and trying all sorts of suggestions, I suspect now that the Rider is not equiped to recieve Quickfix's.

Another RR2 owner checked his unit, and does not have the required files and has never recieved updates.

Now when I look on the web site, the Rider series isnt listed;

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=18&l=22

The thing that gets me, is I have spoken to 2 TT reps and there has been no mention of this....

Not going to worry about it any further.

Cheers

The new Rider 3 units support gps fixes.

Ask a Question