Very bad update

Ok,

Updated the TomTom 720 to 8.3 and my Home to 2.5.1.36.

Now, when I attach the tomtom to the computer, it starts up and tells me to disconnect and restart the tomtom. Everytime.

Also, now the Operate my Go gives me the Note message that "This function is not yet supported for your navigation device or operating system'. Funny, that's how I did my trip planning prior to this "update".

Looks like I'm going to have to find a way to roll this back. This was like downloading a virus.

Anybody else seeing this or have a suggestion?

Operating system: Vista SP1; TomTom720. Both worked great before this...

Ok. I can recreate the hang now. If I go directly to "show my contents", the home app shows what's on the 720. If I then try to "operate my TomTom" then it tells me that feature isn't available. If I then go back to "show my contents", the app hangs and sits on the show contents page.

Anyone from TT monitor these forums?

The only thing I can think of is to uninstall Home and reinstall, making sure UAC (is that what it's called in Vista?) is off.

Same Update - Different problems

I too recently accepted the upgrades, and agree its like installing a virus. I have lost my favorites. Have you rolled back to a previous version yet?

Same problem here

I have the same problem as the OP- Cannot operate GO from my computer. Guess I'll wait for an update and check back here.

There is a newer Home version out, but it sounds like you all have bad Home installs like dhn indicated. I have not had any problems with Home and operate my go with any "normal" application upgrades and any of the Home 2.3 versions. I was finally able to use Plus Services through Operate my Go after I first upgraded to 8.2.

I only got the "This function is not yet supported for your navigation device or operating system' message when I installed 8.005 Beta - which was understandable.

I've personally given up on TT updates. Whether it's HOME or the firmware for my 3rd edition, it's just not worth it to me. My 3rd edition is working fine with the few hacks I've added (itinerary planing for one), and I don't want to give up on those. Home ver. 2.1.2.121 still works fine and provides mapshare updates periodically.

Someone here once said that they thought the programmers for TT were all C students. Maybe that's right. :eek:

I had the same problem with an update for my 910. Lost everything. Tried to navigate to a POI and could not get a response, it would freeze up and reboot itself. Also GPS kept rebooting itself as I was driving, very annoying. I just reinstalled the map and all was well. Got another update from TomTom for whatever reason and it did not change anything.

I had the same problem after letting Tomtom Home update software yesterday - couldn't use Operate My GO and got error messages about rebooting the GPS. But this afternoon I just attached it to the computer and those 2 items worked again.

I haven't been out in the car to see if it operates there yet :) Inside my house I don't get a satellite signal.

What I don't understand yet is the new screen I see. Instead of having the name of the street to turn on near the time itself, the name is on top of the screen while the time is on the bottom.

I had the same problem after letting Tomtom Home update software yesterday - couldn't use Operate My GO and got error messages about rebooting the GPS. But this afternoon I just attached it to the computer and those 2 items worked again.

I haven't been out in the car to see if it operates there yet :) Inside my house I don't get a satellite signal.

What I don't understand yet is the new screen I see. Instead of having the name of the street to turn on near the time itself, the name is on top of the screen while the time is on the bottom.

Yea, and the very very bad part about this new "feature" on the next street to turn on is that if there is a long street name/hwy, the font becomes SOOOOOOOO tiny it's IMPOSSIBLE to read. It caused me to miss an exit since the expressway had 5 different lanes, each single lane lead to another express way/exit. Another member here complained about the small font and I said to myself "Blah, it can't be THAT small" and when it happened to me last week, it was litterally IMPOSSIBLE to read the tiny tiny tiny text. What the hell kind of drugs is TomTom on when they "design" these stupid features?

Yea, and the very very bad part about this new "feature" on the next street to turn on is that if there is a long street name/hwy, the font becomes SOOOOOOOO tiny it's IMPOSSIBLE to read. It caused me to miss an exit since the expressway had 5 different lanes, each single lane lead to another express way/exit. Another member here complained about the small font and I said to myself "Blah, it can't be THAT small" and when it happened to me last week, it was litterally IMPOSSIBLE to read the tiny tiny tiny text. What the hell kind of drugs is TomTom on when they "design" these stupid features?

What Navcore revision brought the microfont into play? I just purchased an Amazon refurb w/ 7.221 and I'm trying to determine whether I should upgrade or hold pat.

8.3 has all this 'fun stuff'.

When you are offered an update, the first update WILL BE 7.481. Accept that one.

The next time you are offered an update, it may very well be 8.3. The problem is that you can't get offered the latest map (8.15) UNLESS you have f/w 8.3 installed.

When you are offered an update, the first update WILL BE 7.481. Accept that one.

The next time you are offered an update, it may very well be 8.3. The problem is that you can't get offered the latest map (8.15) UNLESS you have f/w 8.3 installed.

When I first connected via HOME last night 8.3 was already on the menu. I passed. My theory right now is to get the 8.15 map with my LMG, download it, then wait for the son of 8.3 and see if some of these issues are addressed.

Is there a way to go back to earlier versions if you already have 8.3? I can't get a free map upgrade any longer so I might as well have a better version.

What Navcore revision brought the microfont into play? I just purchased an Amazon refurb w/ 7.221 and I'm trying to determine whether I should upgrade or hold pat.

8.3 brought on the nano-font. In fact, ya know what? I'm gonna try to plot a route right now and take a screen shot of what I'm talking about. I'll post back in a bit.

In the area I happen to be driving, there has been a TON of road/expressway changes, that the TomTom is not aware of. I don't blame the TomTom for not being updated for this interstate/expressway because the expressways/ramps/exits are pretty new, and are FAR from being finished. When I approached a part of the expressway that the TomTom was not aware of, the TomTom thought I was off-roading for a good 3 minutes going at 55 MPH, with TONS of construction, barricades, and very sharp winding roads left and right, with barely visible lane lines, in total darkness.

I had to rely on the "next instruction" on the top right corner of the screen so I can just follow the street signs instead to what lane I should be in, but that was not possible. What made it worse is that it was night time and the screen was bright as it is. When I saw the "next instruction" (whatever you call it) was really tiny, I freaked out and tried to focus on it too much, and almost got into an accident. The reason I freaked out is because the expressway splits into 5 lanes, and each lane leads to its OWN exit, and again, the roads were not complete so it was a mess trying to drive there, where the lane lines were non-existent, with roads that wind left and right pretty quickly. I took a guess what lane to choose, and I guessed right.

This isn't the smallest the font goes. On 2 other occasions I have encountered even LONGER street names that the TomTom tried to compress. What kills me is that the TomTom tries its hardest to compress the text into that corner, instead of spreading out the text across the top.

It may not look that small to you here in a picture, or in a video, but it looks pretty damn small in person when you are trying to focus on the roads at night, and not having the TomTom directly in front of your face. This sucks even more for those of you who drive trucks or any vehicle with a windshield that is very far away from you. I posted a pic and a 2 small video clips of what I'm talking about. Sorry for my long rant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZxzD4yxlvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRkF7UW-yds

dump31202.jpg

dump6178.jpg

In pictures it looks clear as heck, but certainly NOT clear when your TomTom isn't dead in front of you, and driving at night.

Last edited:
In the area I happen to be driving, there has been a TON of road/expressway changes, that the TomTom is not aware of. I don't blame the TomTom for not being updated for this interstate/expressway because the expressways/ramps/exits are pretty new, and are FAR from being finished. When I approached a part of the expressway that the TomTom was not aware of, the TomTom thought I was off-roading for a good 3 minutes going at 55 MPH, with TONS of construction, barricades, and very sharp winding roads left and right, with barely visible lane lines, in total darkness.

I had to rely on the "next instruction" on the top right corner of the screen so I can just follow the street signs instead to what lane I should be in, but that was not possible. What made it worse is that it was night time and the screen was bright as it is. When I saw the "next instruction" (whatever you call it) was really tiny, I freaked out and tried to focus on it too much, and almost got into an accident. The reason I freaked out is because the expressway splits into 5 lanes, and each lane leads to its OWN exit, and again, the roads were not complete so it was a mess trying to drive there, where the lane lines were non-existent, with roads that wind left and right pretty quickly. I took a guess what lane to choose, and I guessed right.

This isn't the smallest the font goes. On 2 other occasions I have encountered even LONGER street names that the TomTom tried to compress. What kills me is that the TomTom tries its hardest to compress the text into that corner, instead of spreading out the text across the top.

It may not look that small to you here in a picture, or in a video, but it looks pretty damn small in person when you are trying to focus on the roads at night, and not having the TomTom directly in front of your face. This sucks even more for those of you who drive trucks or any vehicle with a windshield that is very far away from you. I posted a pic and a 2 small video clips of what I'm talking about. Sorry for my long rant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZxzD4yxlvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRkF7UW-yds

dump31202.jpg

dump6178.jpg

In pictures it looks clear as heck, but certainly NOT clear when your TomTom isn't dead in front of you, and driving at night.

Sorry for sounding stupid...but what is that bar on the right of the screen...where did that come from and what does it represent

Ask a Question