v665 maps + routing

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
Ok.. so I've had the 665 maps for a while now (got my 2GB SD card a few weeks back) and I've noticed that the routing sorta..... sucks.

For example, it would take me on a residential street and make me turn left onto a main street to my destination. Nothing wrong with that except that there are TWO main streets in between and there are NO traffic lights so crossing them would be nearly impossible. Also, 2 streets over, there's a secondary road which runs parallel and DOES have a traffic light at the two main street intersections (vehicle and pedestrian controlled.. but nonetheless a traffic light).

Another case was when the main road leads to a bridge and there's a road that runs parallel to the bridge (very short road of course.. only a few hundred metres). Now the side road merges onto the main road at the bridge's end and there's a traffic light (kinda weird i know) that allows people to turn left onto the bridge. Instead of taking that left turn onto the bridge, my v665 map route guidance said to merge instead (i.e. go straight), then cut across 3 lanes and make a u-turn back towards the bridge at the next street.... :confused:

I'm starting to doubt v665 (and it's probably why they gave it away for free).. should I revert back to v660 and wait for v705 (with MapShare)?

I still contend that the maps are NOT the problem. The routing engine firmware sucks. No matter how accurate the maps, if the engine is brain-dead, you're going to get bad routing. I wouldn't invest in new maps UNLESS they are preceded by a stellar improvement in the firmware.

Last edited:
Is there anything to indicate that TT is working on a firmware upgrade? There are several weird things it does by me that I would like to have fixed.

I'm not certain what is causing the strange routing I've seen on my Nav. 6 (running on a Treo 700p), but it can be very frustrating and, at times, confusing. On several occasions, the program has contradicted itself in the directions issued. Twice, while stopped at a red light, it told me to turn right and then immediately later while I was at the same exact spot waiting for the light to change, it told me to turn left. What was interesting was that turning right in once instance would have taken me into a dead end street.

Very strange indeed.

I still contend that the maps are NOT the problem. The routing engine firmware sucks. No matter how accurate the maps, if the engine is brain-dead, you're going to get bad routing. I wouldn't invest in new maps UNLESS they are preceded by a stellar improvement in the firmware.

I dunno... I had no issues with v660.1215 other than the smaller file size. The maps can play a role, esp. if they're labelled incorrectly. (i.e. a side road when it's really a main road)

I dunno... I had no issues with v660.1215 other than the smaller file size. The maps can play a role, esp. if they're labelled incorrectly. (i.e. a side road when it's really a main road)

The issue can easily be tested by performing a side-by-side comparison of competing GPS devices. I tried it with my TT1 and a Mio C220 recently. Though the map package was common between the manufacturers, the routing algorithms are very different, and the resultant routing instructions were often stunningly different. Right now, my perception of TomTom's routing logic is that it is not reliably doing it's job. It needs an overhaul, and the sooner...the better.

I long for the day that TomTom can promote their product with a verifiable claim that they have the most accurate technology in the industry. Further, I'd love to see some healthy competition between GPS manufacturers that results in raising the bar for routing accuracy...rather than for hanging on a lot of glitz and superfluous features.

I had the same problem as Arc once, so it's back to 660 for me now. And I keep overriding the TomTom whenever I can.
I know that I should not have to do that.
But (sigh) what can I do. I tried Garmin , but that sucks too, just a different way.
It happens that I don't like the way Garmin sucks.
To sum up:
- If TomTom make the maps & the POI better (N/A) they will be on top of the world.
- If Garmin make the interface better (itinary planning, easier user customization...) the world will be theirs. And they better work on the re-routing algorithm and speed.

Last edited:
The issue can easily be tested by performing a side-by-side comparison of competing GPS devices. I tried it with my TT1 and a Mio C220 recently. Though the map package was common between the manufacturers, the routing algorithms are very different, and the resultant routing instructions were often stunningly different. Right now, my perception of TomTom's routing logic is that it is not reliably doing it's job. It needs an overhaul, and the sooner...the better.

I long for the day that TomTom can promote their product with a verifiable claim that they have the most accurate technology in the industry. Further, I'd love to see some healthy competition between GPS manufacturers that results in raising the bar for routing accuracy...rather than for hanging on a lot of glitz and superfluous features.

true but you don't have v660? Right now, I believe that is the better version. (maybe except 675.. but we don't have access to that)

Great.. found another error.. and it's a BIG one...

my city's international AIRPORT is underwater according to V665. In fact, the entire airport (runway and all) plus surrounding roads are underwater (the area is all blue). I know our airport is on a delta but this is just rubbing it in!

everyone else happy with their v665 NA map?

Should I switch back to v660 US_and_Canada? The stock map has yet to fail me (and maybe I shouldn't have complained about the map upgrade lol.... it's only an upgrade in POIs and details...). Can't wait for v705. Hopefully they're not too expensive.

Great.. found another error.. and it's a BIG one...

my city's international AIRPORT is underwater according to V665. In fact, the entire airport (runway and all) plus surrounding roads are underwater (the area is all blue). I know our airport is on a delta but this is just rubbing it in!

I've noticed our airport and surrounding property is colored a grayish blue land. We are completely land locked and in the mountains so I don't believe it's "in water" but I think they are using that color to indicate airport property.

I've noticed our airport and surrounding property is colored a grayish blue land. We are completely land locked and in the mountains so I don't believe it's "in water" but I think they are using that color to indicate airport property.

Oh... mine's blue... as in the same colour as the river that flows to the north of it and the strait to the west of it. (it's built on a delta... don't know who's brilliant idea that was)

Ok.. so I've had the 665 maps for a while now (got my 2GB SD card a few weeks back) and I've noticed that the routing sorta..... sucks.

For example, it would take me on a residential street and make me turn left onto a main street to my destination. Nothing wrong with that except that there are TWO main streets in between and there are NO traffic lights so crossing them would be nearly impossible. Also, 2 streets over, there's a secondary road which runs parallel and DOES have a traffic light at the two main street intersections (vehicle and pedestrian controlled.. but nonetheless a traffic light).

Another case was when the main road leads to a bridge and there's a road that runs parallel to the bridge (very short road of course.. only a few hundred metres). Now the side road merges onto the main road at the bridge's end and there's a traffic light (kinda weird i know) that allows people to turn left onto the bridge. Instead of taking that left turn onto the bridge, my v665 map route guidance said to merge instead (i.e. go straight), then cut across 3 lanes and make a u-turn back towards the bridge at the next street.... :confused:

I'm starting to doubt v665 (and it's probably why they gave it away for free).. should I revert back to v660 and wait for v705 (with MapShare)?

Is there a way to reset the device? I have the TTN6 on my palm tx and it, for the most part, works fine. Every once in a while, it seems as though tomtom goes brain dead and gives me really wierd routes. My fix was to reset my palm and all is well again. Hope that helps some.........

Ask a Question