"Use Latest Map Guarantee" from Home

My Map Update/Customer Service Experience

About two weeks ago I purchased a refurb ONE "New Edition" that came preloaded with the USA & Canada 710 maps. I noticed that newer 715 maps were available, so I attempted to use the Latest Map Guarantee in HOME, but it told me I had the most current maps installed. So, after reading the horrible customer service experiences many of you had, I was NOT looking forward to dealing with the folks at TomTom. Anyway, I called them up and explained to tech support what I just noted above. The woman simply said to fax them a copy of my receipt, which I did the next morning...total call time 5min. After getting home from work that day, I hooked my ONE up to my computer to see if they made the 715 maps available to me, but they had not. So, I called them back to follow up, giving them the reference number that was provided to me from my first phone call. The woman said she saw that they received my faxed receipt and asked me to hold for a moment. When she came back, she said she made the 715 maps available and that all I had to do was update in HOME. I told her I was already logged in and asked if she would hold on for a second while I attempted the update to be sure it was there. She did and it was...total call time 10 min. TomTom honored their guarantee without hassle and their customer service was surprisingly fast, courteous and polite. Needless to say, I'm a very happy TomTom customer! (Of course, it would have been nice if the Latest Map Guarantee worked via HOME the first time I tried, instead of saying I had the latest map, which I clearly did not...they need to fix that...but, anyway...) :D

Last edited:
TomTom Brady, or anyone else that might be in the know,

I too just purchased a refurb Version 2 (actually listed as a "New Edition and V4) on Ebay. I have the 710 maps. Would an Ebay receipt be enough to provide them with what they require? What did you provide? How are the 715 maps different and what extras do they provide?

I'll give them a ring and find out some of this, but just wanted some backup if they get difficult.

Thanks from a one week old noob.

Steve

TomTom Brady, or anyone else that might be in the know,

I too just purchased a refurb Version 2 (actually listed as a "New Edition and V4) on Ebay. I have the 710 maps. Would an Ebay receipt be enough to provide them with what they require? What did you provide? How are the 715 maps different and what extras do they provide?

I'll give them a ring and find out some of this, but just wanted some backup if they get difficult.

Thanks from a one week old noob.

Steve

I can't be sure if they'll honor an Ebay receipt, but I assume they would...don't see why not. I purchased mine via CircuitCity.com and faxed them the email receipt along with a fax cover sheet detailing the phone conversation I had with tech support and included the reference number given to me by them, as well as my ONE's serial number and product code. I'm not sure to what extent the maps are different...I'm sure plenty of street/address/POI updates and such...I do know that I now have nice POI icons for many popular chains, as opposed to the generic icons I had before! (i.e. instead of a simple gas pump icon for all gas stations, I have a Shell logo for Shell gas stations now, etc...) Good luck and keep us posted on your customer service experience!

I guess I got hold of one of the tougher technicians. I don't have a Latest map guarantee certificate, and without that, he just refused to discuss the upgrade with me.

He was very nice though, and indicated there was not much different, although he wouldn't elaborate there any either.

I guess I got hold of one of the tougher technicians. I don't have a Latest map guarantee certificate, and without that, he just refused to discuss the upgrade with me.

He was very nice though, and indicated there was not much different, although he wouldn't elaborate there any either.

Well, that's unfortunate...what a load of crap. If I were you, I'd try calling again and speaking to a different tech. If you go that route, let us know what transpires...

Ask a Question