"Use Latest Map Guarantee" from Home

I would say look on the internet for a bit torrent download of the new updated file you are looking for, im still with in my 30days and up to date but i know some one is sharing there file that is store on the computer when the update is preformed.

Are you referring to downloading maps? You do realize that is illegal :eek:

Are you referring to downloading maps? You do realize that is illegal :eek:

Dude I am along with your thoughts.....I have a trouble ticket right now with tomtom for a map upgrade over the phone for western eurpoe and us-canada as the stateside store is down, and they wont have it up till next year some time. I am fixin to leave for Germany in two weeks and need it before that. The tech also stated that my one v2 will not work with the NA maps and that I had to get the us-canada and not the NA maps. I explianed that I had a 2gb sd card in the system but she stated that it had more to do with the procesors and for the sysytem to work to its full potential I would be better off with the us-cananda intdead of the NA maps anyone experience this before?

Steve

I explianed that I had a 2gb sd card in the system but she stated that it had more to do with the procesors and for the sysytem to work to its full potential I would be better off with the us-cananda intdead of the NA maps anyone experience this before?

Steve

that's nonsense. the NA maps will work just fine as long as you have a card large enough to install them along with the operating system. Mine has NA 675 working as it should on a 2g card. I gather the newer 710 might be a larger file size.

The Latest Map Guarantee is valid for 30 days from the first usage of your navigation device

How do we know when "first usage" begins? The date we bought the product? The date we register our product online? The date we first connect our TomTom to updating software?

Greenshovel,

I have the same experience trying to get my upgrade. Tried to get it within the 30 days and it said I had the most recent. Found out I did not and sent emails, got told I was out of the date. The last email they sent, they told me to call and speak to a supervisor. I haven't had the time yet. I'll try to get on that today though. If I get anywhere, I'll post it.

James

Greenshovel,

I have the same experience trying to get my upgrade. Tried to get it within the 30 days and it said I had the most recent. Found out I did not and sent emails, got told I was out of the date. The last email they sent, they told me to call and speak to a supervisor. I haven't had the time yet. I'll try to get on that today though. If I get anywhere, I'll post it.

James

Good luck this is what I just did :confused: :mad:

The customer service really stinks needed a map for Germany did this over the phone as the maps are down for NA they did this but wene I asked to get the us_Canada maps they said that they couldn't do this and would have to wait untill the store was back up and runing 2-3 weeks :confused: They said only out of the country could be done over the phone :confused: agian

Steve

Steve

Last edited:
"HOME" as in something in the PC software? Doesn't this mean that we could potentially hold off creating an account for a couple years to get a map update then?

Yeah, right. You assume that TomTom's servers would still be talking to your version of TT Home on that date in the distant future. Probably not and when they ask for your sales receipt, you'll lose.

My negative tone is not against you... just indicative of my attitude towards TomTom's inconsistent application of policy.

I bought my sister a ONE and the latest map update guarantee was a breeze. Not sure what I did differently but it was simple. Bought it, plugged it in, Clicked update guarantee, and TOMTOM was running the newest maps without a hitch.

I agree with that but unfortunately TomTom uses the sales receipt as the date when TT Home fails.

So because I just purchased this device, I should just assume I have 20-something days to get my single map update guarantee, and use it before the end of one month?

So because I just purchased this device, I should just assume I have 20-something days to get my single map update guarantee, and use it before the end of one month?

Ultimately, it's what I did.

The latest maps just came out so I thought there wasn't much point in waiting.

Dude I am along with your thoughts.....I have a trouble ticket right now with tomtom for a map upgrade over the phone for western eurpoe and us-canada as the stateside store is down, and they wont have it up till next year some time. I am fixin to leave for Germany in two weeks and need it before that. The tech also stated that my one v2 will not work with the NA maps and that I had to get the us-canada and not the NA maps. I explianed that I had a 2gb sd card in the system but she stated that it had more to do with the procesors and for the sysytem to work to its full potential I would be better off with the us-cananda intdead of the NA maps anyone experience this before?

Steve

The 710 N. America is suppose to just over 2 gb - if so, you might have a problem getting it loaded.

Did they say anything about you downloading a map from an overseas site ?

So after 30 minutes on the phone this is what I was told:

The latest map guarantee has only been offered for the past 3 weeks. It was for the 3rd editions to move them from 6.75 to 7.10. The second editions were not meant to get this, but if you happen to purchase one and call them within the past 3 weeks that the guarantee has been offered and within the 30 day policy, they would give you the 6.75. He also told me that mapshare was not meant for the 2nd edition at all but will work fine if you purchase the new map.

At the end of the day, I am little annoyed, but I really cannot see this affecting how I feel about the unit. Ya win some and you lose some. If I start to find a lot of things missing on my map, I will consider upgrading. Until then, I have more important things to worry about.

The 710 N. America is suppose to just over 2 gb - if so, you might have a problem getting it loaded.

Did they say anything about you downloading a map from an overseas site ?

here is what I did I went to the UK site and purchased the one for the 720 it ais just unter th 2gb limit (smaller), I had to open and account with them and use a bogus zip to backdoor the system, I showed up in my UK account with home, I ill download it this weekend to my 2gb card as I am in a hotel with crappy bandwith. I also purchased the Western Europe over the phone, so that is also waiting to be downloaded in my us home2 account. I think I will get another 2gb card for Europe as I am not to sure if the One v2 will take and read a 4gb card to its full capacity?

Steve

So after 30 minutes on the phone this is what I was told:

The latest map guarantee has only been offered for the past 3 weeks. It was for the 3rd editions to move them from 6.75 to 7.10. The second editions were not meant to get this, but if you happen to purchase one and call them within the past 3 weeks that the guarantee has been offered and within the 30 day policy, they would give you the 6.75.

TT should be sued for fraud or shear stupidity if nothing else.

What you were told doesn't even remotely fit their published FAQs...

https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/information.php

At TomTom we do our utmost best to ensure that the map that comes preloaded on your device is the most up-to-date version available. But because roads change and maps become outdated, TomTom regularly releases new maps.

This means there’s a small chance that a newer map has been released since the production of your TomTom. But don’t worry. With TomTom’s latest map guarantee, if the map preloaded on your device is not the latest version, you can download it FREE at TomTom HOME.

Legal Notice:

TomTom makes its commercial best efforts to ensure that all navigation devices are preloaded with the latest maps available at the time of production. The Latest Map Guarantee is valid for 30 days from the first usage of your navigation device; however, if TomTom deems that the preloaded map is more than 9 months old, TomTom reserves the right to refuse a free map update.

I love that last part... you're entitled to the latest map unless you buy a unit with maps more than 9 months old. Isn't that counter to their statement that they want all new units to come with new maps?

Then we have this blurb about leaflets...

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=latest+map+gaurantee&FID=7918

If a latest map guarantee leaflet was included with your TomTom device, then you are entitled to download a new map within 30 days after you bought your device.

Since they seem to have so many different rules governing which TT device is entitled to which map version and when it was purchased, why not just publish those detailed rules. It may be confusing but it would be far simpler than trying to tell people why they're not getting newer maps despite the so-called "latest map guarantee".

Last edited:
Hey guys.

I skimmed through this thread, so, basically according to TomTom, since my girlfriend purchased my TomTom One 3rd Edition last month while it was on sale, and I won't be using it until Christmas day, I'm basically screwed out of a map update by TomTom?

Fantastic. They will be bitched out over the phone if that is the case, lol. :rolleyes: :p

I got my TT1 LE on BF from BB, and I just updated to the 710 maps using "latest map guarantee" from TomTom Home without any issues, however mine came preloaded with 705, not sure if that made a difference. No need for a proof of purchase either, it just said there was a new map available, and I downloaded it

I filed complaints with both the FTC and my Attorney General. I have all screen captures of the mis-leading guarantee.

They both replied quickly and are researching the false claims of "latest map guarantee".

If you think you are being screwed, file a complaint, only way to get anyones attention.

Ask a Question