"Use Latest Map Guarantee" from Home

Sounds familiar.

Thank you for your reply. Inwoo, version 7.10 maps are the most up-to-date maps and are not available as an upgrade. The most current upgrade version we are able to provide free, is the version 6.75 which is what you are entitled to. If you choose to purchase v7.10, you can do that through TomTom HOME. I apologize for any confusion this causes.

It's funny, they said that when they were talking to me, too. They apologized for "confusion". It's cute: it sounds like they're apologizing, but they're actually telling you you're confused.

They sell you the latest map, but the latest map isn't available through their "Latest Map Update".

This really needs to be the #1 thing people learn when they google for TomTom One.

But, he did agree that I should indeed be getting the 6.75 maps, so he created an online support ticket with my TomTom.com login info, I uploaded the proof of purchase, and he immediately put the USA and Canada 6.75 map into my "updates" window in TomTom Home. I was really impressed with how quickly they were able to take care of this problem. So at least now I have MapShare.
V6.75 is "old" maps as well!

I just got the tomtom one new editon version 4 last week that had 6.65 maps.I emailed tomtom and here is their response.

Response (ST Thomas La) 01/12/2007 07.45 PM
Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding the maps on your ONE New Edition. My goal is to provide you with an exceptional customer experience, and I hope to achieve it.

Unfortunately, we can't give the v710 maps for free, and the latest map guarantee doesn't apply to your unit. However, we added the v675 maps to your account so you can download them through TomTom HOME. These maps are more up-to-date and will allow you to use Map Share.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I just got the TomTom One 3rd Edition (P/N 8N01.080) today (12/01/07). I don't know what map version came with the unit, but I was able to update to v710 (859.4 MB) using the "Use Lastest Map Guarantuee" through the TomTom HOME software.

I just got the TomTom One 3rd Edition (P/N 8N01.080) today (12/01/07). I don't know what map version came with the unit, but I was able to update to v710 (859.4 MB) using the "Use Lastest Map Guarantuee" through the TomTom HOME software.

yeah, i bought my tomtom one LE last week and updated it a couple days ago using the 'latest map guarantee' and have v710 as well.

Latest Map Guarantee is fake!

a lawsuit should be opened against TomTom!

I have a TT One (not a clue which version). App 7.161, OS 1000, Map "USA and Canada"710.1575. I bought it in Oct 2007. I called to complain that I had an outdated map, back then it was the 6.XXX . I called support and they gave me the above map for free with map sharing. The only problem I see its the download shows it to be 902.2 MB but on the device it shows it's only 858.6. I have had no problems with it and support was great. I called beacuse the Latest MAp Guarantee said I was updated but the Maps showed newer verison. Just my story on it.

so I went ahead and called TomTom, and explained the situation, and like the other replies here, I was told the 7.10 maps are "not for the TomTom One". The agent said it was a size issue - that my device has a 1G internal storage, and the 7.10 map was too big. I don't know how true that is, that's just what I was told.

Well I purchased a TT one LE for gift and I thought it only has 1 GB of internal memory (not using the slot currently) and it came with the V705.xxx maps. I did an update and now it has 710.xxx so it will fit. Strange thing is with this unit there is no activation card or need to input one. I hear they come "pre activated" whatever that means. I do see a Zip in the Download of the map called activation ZIP, not sure what it does though. for the heck of it I put it on my TT V3's 2 GB card (I think it's a V3 it only has a slot no internal memory) but it does not see the map. Figured it would not, mostly just playing.

The disclaimer on the latest maps

I found this while searching their website, it is on the bottom of the page

https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/information.php

TomTom makes its commercial best efforts to ensure that all navigation devices are preloaded with the latest maps available at the time of production. The Latest Map Guarantee is valid for 30 days from the first usage of your navigation device; however, if TomTom deems that the preloaded map is more than 9 months old, TomTom reserves the right to refuse a free map update.

So it seems as though the new units will have the newest version of the map as they are preloaded with a map newer than 9 months. Older units on clearance are therefore not covered and it will cost another $40+

I found this while searching their website, it is on the bottom of the page

https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/information.php

TomTom makes its commercial best efforts to ensure that all navigation devices are preloaded with the latest maps available at the time of production. The Latest Map Guarantee is valid for 30 days from the first usage of your navigation device; however, if TomTom deems that the preloaded map is more than 9 months old, TomTom reserves the right to refuse a free map update.

So it seems as though the new units will have the newest version of the map as they are preloaded with a map newer than 9 months. Older units on clearance are therefore not covered and it will cost another $40+

They can't just hide legal print someplace where you'd never look to find it - therefore it's probably not "legal" at all, IMHO, for these simple reasons...

1. Is that fine print referenced on the box or leaflet anyplace? If no, then it's probably worthless. I checked my leaflet from a TT ONE 3rd Ed and no fine legal print... just the guarantee.

2. TomTom FAQ page does not mention nor reference that fine print either. TomTom Map Guarantee FAQ

Anyone keeping their brand new TomTom and fighting to get your maps updated, should use those two points with a CSR supervisor. POLITELY remind them that intentionally refusing to honor the guarantee could be considered "criminal fraud" and you'll consider reporting them to the Federal Trade Commission, the Attorney General for your state, and possible legal action.

Last edited:
TomTom, in my opinion, needs to seriously check over every square inch of their web site for errors, inconsistencies, and pure stupidity.

https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/

3. In the 'File' menu click 'Use Latest Map Guarantee'. NOTE: if this option is not shown your device has the latest map.

You can check as many times as you like within 30 days from the date you first use your TomTom device.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/category.php?ID=1&Language=4&FID=6233

3. In the File menu click Use Latest Map Guarantee.

If this option is not shown your device already has the latest map.

latestmapguarantee.jpg

You can check as many times as you like within 30 days from the date you first use your TomTom device.

That doesn't even make any sense! If the option is not shown, how can you check as often as you like?

Furthermore it's just flat-out false. I have the latest maps (710.1575) and my menu always shows "use latest map guarantee".

Last edited:
Just an update.
iaccidently e-mailed tomtom eurpe and they added 6.75 to my tomtom home ansd told me i could only purchase 710, and that the guarentee didnt apply to my unit.

Then, i e-mailed tomtom canada, i explained i had the 675 map and would appreciate the 710 since i bought the gps last week,they said no problem and added the 710 to my account..

Funny how it varies rep tp rep,,anyways now im satisfied.

a lawsuit should be opened against TomTom!

Yep, just went thru it today.

Told the rep I had a V2 w/665 maps. She said I can get the latest maps upgrade with a faxed proof of purchase. I don't have a fax. Scan it. I don't have a scanner. OK, so what's the serial number? Z_BLAH_BLAH. OK, hang on...

Comes back, sorry, no updates are available for that unit, you can buy V7.1 if you like. I was like WTF??????? Give me a manager...

He says show me proof and I'll give you one update. I attached my receipt to the ticket (I bought on-line from Circuit City) and got the V675 update.

I was again, like WTF?????

He insisted that was the latest "free" update he's authorized to give. If I wanted 7.1 I'd have to buy it.

TT customer support is the absolute worst I've ever seen, pissing people off with their noses in the air, not to mention the right hand has no concept of what the left hand is doing and they don't call it like they lead everyone to believe, they make it up to shut you up.

I called Garmin for pre-sales support, got support services. Nicest, most energitic, knowledgable folks (in comparison).

I got gigged for $200 on the V2, bought a V3 for $125 (which comes with V7 map). I'll take the $40 for V7, return the V2, return the V3 and go get a Nuvi 360.

Screw tomtom, they won't get a nickel from me until they wrap their arrogant heads around taking care of customers and ACTUALLY delivering on their deceptive trade practices.

Oh, and that little 9 month disclaimer - MY UNIT DIDN'T COME WITH A "BORN ON" DATE!

Every salesmen I've talked to say "yeah, the Garmins are bad-ass, but you get free map updates with tomtom". They have everyone fooled!!!

I will be filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. I am one American Consumer that won't stand idle, taking it up the pooper!

It's my obligation to America.

Too bad, tomtom ALMOST has it figured out.

'Use Latest Map Guarantee'

This is crap i just got of of the phone with tomtom about this mess ('Use Latest Map Guarantee')........I currently have v665 i tried to do an upgrade through the 'Use Latest Map Guarantee' within the 30 day peroid it told me that i had the latest and greatest v665....So I called tomtom about this they said that this is all that they could do for me no upgrade avialable to me due to it being out of the 30 day window. I asked how they can tell if i purchased this within 30 days she said that the retailer tells them WTF ........So the Endstate is basically no upgrade saying that i didn't upgrade within the 30 days wich I tried to do........can anyone tell me were in writting that this is, other than online deep into the website? Mayb the link should state 'Use Latest Map Guarantee only within 30 days of purchase. :confused:

Steve

In my case they even asked a copy of my receipt but still rejected me a free upgrade.

They offered the same send in a reciept...I said what good will that do as I tried to do it right after after I installed the software Home 2.1 I used the 'Use Latest Map Guarantee' to update my maps it said that I had the latest maps (mine is v665).....did this three more times to get updates and it said the same thing. So I thought that I was good to go...aparently not. aparently there is a newer version out there for my tomtom v675, after talking to a friend who has this version? I asked why was this not avialable for me to download within the 30day period. The individual I talked to was polite but had to keep talking to her superviser about the sitation, her superviser stated that becase I didn't call with a problem that there is nothing that they could do for me and she kept saying that I didn't do the download within the 30 days of purchase (which I tried to do). Well I did not know that there was a problem as I thought that I had the most curent version, so how would I know what version that I was supposed to have. I strongly feel that I am getting the run around here and that I have been misinformed with the 'Use Latest Map Guarantee' this is why I purchased this item and now I feel as if I have been misled
and that the versions are not updatable and that I have to make a purchase to get newer maps. Also were in the package that one purchases does it state that you need to do the upgrade within 30 days?

Steve

Need to complain a little more to TT. When I first bought mine and something happened to it, I returned it to the store and got a new one. The one I exchanged it for had an old map, the one I already had, had a new map (I did not know that until I spent a bit of time on the phone with TT). I told TT how is that fair that I can not get a new map upgrade one time since I did spend quite a bit of money on the item. It took 3 calls and 2 supervisors to finally get my new map. I did buy the new map v710 just for the heck of it and so far all is well.

I would say look on the internet for a bit torrent download of the new updated file you are looking for, im still with in my 30days and up to date but i know some one is sharing there file that is store on the computer when the update is preformed.

I would say look on the internet for a bit torrent download of the new updated file you are looking for, im still with in my 30days and up to date but i know some one is sharing there file that is store on the computer when the update is preformed.

OK.....what is a bit torrent? And how would I go about doing this ie google bit torrent for maps, thanks for your help :confused:

Steve

Ask a Question