"Use Latest Map Guarantee" from Home

I have a new TomTom One. The multitude of versions out there is a little confusing - everything that came with it just says "One", but TomTom Home says it is a "One New Edition". It has an SD slot but no card (everything is on internal memory).

Anyway, I'm running the newest TomTom Home (2.1.2.121), NavCore 7.131, and the "USA and Canada" Map Version 6.65. On TomTom Home I can see the USA and Canada version 7.10 available for purchase. My question is, how come when I click the "Use Latest Map Guarantee" from the File menu of TomTom Home, it says I already have the latest maps?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to getting some cool tips here.

Welcome to the forum.

AFAIK, the maps can only be bought on the TomTom site but you need to change the language to UK. If you switch to Canada for example, the maps page is down. I can only assume when they offer the version 7.10 map on the US/Canada site that the 'latest map guarantee' will work properly.

Same thing happened to me.

I have a new TomTom One. The multitude of versions out there is a little confusing - everything that came with it just says "One", but TomTom Home says it is a "One New Edition". It has an SD slot but no card (everything is on internal memory).

Anyway, I'm running the newest TomTom Home (2.1.2.121), NavCore 7.131, and the "USA and Canada" Map Version 6.65. On TomTom Home I can see the USA and Canada version 7.10 available for purchase. My question is, how come when I click the "Use Latest Map Guarantee" from the File menu of TomTom Home, it says I already have the latest maps?

I have a TomTom One 2nd edition which I purchased a week ago. It came preloaded with map version 675 north america. I upgraded to a 2gig SD card no problem. When I click "use latest map guarauntee", it says I don't need the latest map. Maybe that's true, but I sure would like to have it!

Looks like it's a bug. I'll call TomTom tomorrow.

Update from tomtom support

I called tomtom and they said that the 710 maps are not supported for the tomtom one. You can buy them from tomtom home, but you can't get them through your free map upgrade.

In short, latest map guarauntee doesn't give you the latest maps. I'm returning my unit today for a Nuvi as the price differential now makes sense; anyone else have tips on getting the promised map upgrade?

wow.

Sorry to spam here folks, but I just called TomTom support and spent half an hour on the phone. The 7.10 maps are available for purchase for my One New Edition in TomTom Home, and I have a friend with the same unit who bought them and installed them and they work great. However TomTom says they are not supported for my unit, won't work on my unit, and are quote "for purchase only". How those three things are compatible I have no idea. I talked to a manager, got stonewalled. They even refused to send me a letter in writing stating that their Latest Map Guarantee doesn't work.

Very, very disappointing experience. I bought this unit expressly for the 7 series maps. The fact that the "latest map guarantee" stated on the box is patently false really needs to be publicized; it should be the first sticky on this site!

Returning this to radio shack and trying to explain all this to them promises to be a lot of fun...

so I went ahead and called TomTom, and explained the situation, and like the other replies here, I was told the 7.10 maps are "not for the TomTom One". The agent said it was a size issue - that my device has a 1G internal storage, and the 7.10 map was too big. I don't know how true that is, that's just what I was told.

But, he did agree that I should indeed be getting the 6.75 maps, so he created an online support ticket with my TomTom.com login info, I uploaded the proof of purchase, and he immediately put the USA and Canada 6.75 map into my "updates" window in TomTom Home. I was really impressed with how quickly they were able to take care of this problem. So at least now I have MapShare.

so in the future if I want to purchase a map upgrade or a detailed regional map, I could buy a 2gig SD card, put the new map(s) on that, and then just switch between maps using the "Switch Maps" option in the Preferences menu of the TomTom? That's not a bad deal at all...

710 Debacle Followup

so I went ahead and called TomTom, and explained the situation, and like the other replies here, I was told the 7.10 maps are "not for the TomTom One". The agent said it was a size issue - that my device has a 1G internal storage, and the 7.10 map was too big. I don't know how true that is, that's just what I was told.

Diamond D - It is important to understand that what support told you is untrue. The One New Edition (2nd edition) can handle the 900MB 710 version maps either using the built in storage and reducing other data on the system, or by using a 1.5 or 2 gig SD upgrade card. Remember that you can buy the 710 maps through TomTom Home, so they are the latest maps for TomTom One. Any attempt by TomTom not to provide you with the 710 maps within 30 days of purchase is a violation of their latest maps guarantee, and is fraudulent.

Hey that's great, support came through.
As far as the maps being to big, using a SD card larger than the map (2GB) will do the trick.
digital - this is a great site! :D thanks for all the content here; I read much of it before deciding to buy a TomTom. Perhaps you misunderstood Diamond D's post, but support did not come through for him - instead, they misled him about the latest version of maps available for the One. They have actually made three false claims to me during my attempts to reason with them: 1) The TomTom One is incompatible with version 710 (demonstrably false), 2) The TomTome One does not support 710 (proven false by TomTom Home offering this map for sale to One owners) and third that the Latest Map Guarauntee only covers 30 days from the release of the product, not 30 days from the purchase date (their web site says otherwise).

There are probably additional false claims made by support to others who can follow up in this thread.

I really hope this is stickied, before more people like us fall victim to the false advertising...

Hey

is there a difference between the TT 720 7.1 maps and the TT One 7.1 maps??

Im not too familar with the new maps but AFAIK, there are 2 types of 7.10 maps: US_and_Canda 7.10 and North America 7.10. The NA maps have more detail in the maps such as water, parks, etc shown on the map.

Issue with Map Guarantee Update! No USA Maps now and can't reinstall???

I have a Tomtom One v3.

I decided to update the map. I used the use latest map guarantee feature in HOME. The maps downloaded fine, but failed as it tried to install...

"An error occurred while using this file: H:\USA_and_Canada\cline.dat"

I now have NO US maps on my device !!!! :(

I have tried several methods to re-install the USA and Canada Maps... using HOME It fails every time with the same message.
"An error occurred while using this file: H:\USA_and_Canada\cline.dat"

--- AND even trying to directly add the files to the device with a cut and paste... It gives me an I/O error...

I have messed with my firewall settings to allow everything, I have restarted my system and have tried to install without any other applications running...

Nothing is working...

Any advice to refresh/reload the maps???

The support guy I spoke with while updating mine told me I had to delete my old map before doing the update. If not, TomTomHome gets confused by the fact that there's not enough space to put the new map on and things go haywire. Maybe that's what happened? Hopefully you made a backup before trying the update... can you restore the original files, then delete the old map from TomTom (Remove Items button) then do the "latest map" update?

I have a new TomTom new edition and have the USA and Canada Maps v665.1293 and I'd like to be able to use the Map Share feature. I've installed a 2G card and everything works fine except it says the Map Share is not supported for my device. Do I have to pay for another updated map for it to work? What's the deal. Does someone have a clear concise answer for this issue?
Thanks for any help.

I have a new TomTom new edition and have the USA and Canada Maps v665.1293 and I'd like to be able to use the Map Share feature. I've installed a 2G card and everything works fine except it says the Map Share is not supported for my device. Do I have to pay for another updated map for it to work? What's the deal. Does someone have a clear concise answer for this issue?
Thanks for any help.

Did you buy an updated version of the maps? Mapshare doesn't function with any maps that are older than version 6.75. The card itself isn't to make Mapshare work, it's to allow you to purchase the larger map that has Mapshare capabilities (6.75) although I do believe you can fit the newest maps (7.10) onto the internal memory without having to use the SD card... Hope that helps!

TOMTOM Screwing their customers!!!

I bought a TOMTOM One 2nd Edition last month, but before I did so I called TOMTOM to ensure I'd be entitled to a free upgrade to the version 7 maps. They insisted I would be.

Last night they appeared to be honoring their statement when they asked me to attach a copy of my receipt to the open ticket. After they received it they stated they were going to upload version 7 onto the server for me to download. The download took 20 min and another 30 min or so to install, by that time it was done, they were closed. They download was version 675.1409 up from the 665 maps that shipped with it.

When I called back today they gave me the song and dance that I was lucky to have the 675 maps (with map share) and that I'd have to purchase the version 7 maps for $49.99 euros, that's $99 US!! I told them I'd return it and buy a Garmin with the latest maps before paying for something I was entitled to. They didn't seem to care.

Thanks for nothing TOMTOM!!!!

Diamond D - It is important to understand that what support told you is untrue. The One New Edition (2nd edition) can handle the 900MB 710 version maps either using the built in storage and reducing other data on the system, or by using a 1.5 or 2 gig SD upgrade card. Remember that you can buy the 710 maps through TomTom Home, so they are the latest maps for TomTom One. Any attempt by TomTom not to provide you with the 710 maps within 30 days of purchase is a violation of their latest maps guarantee, and is fraudulent.

digital - this is a great site! :D thanks for all the content here; I read much of it before deciding to buy a TomTom. Perhaps you misunderstood Diamond D's post, but support did not come through for him - instead, they misled him about the latest version of maps available for the One. They have actually made three false claims to me during my attempts to reason with them: 1) The TomTom One is incompatible with version 710 (demonstrably false), 2) The TomTome One does not support 710 (proven false by TomTom Home offering this map for sale to One owners) and third that the Latest Map Guarauntee only covers 30 days from the release of the product, not 30 days from the purchase date (their web site says otherwise).

There are probably additional false claims made by support to others who can follow up in this thread.

I really hope this is stickied, before more people like us fall victim to the false advertising...

When I called back today they gave me the song and dance that I was lucky to have the 675 maps (with map share) and that I'd have to purchase the version 7 maps for $49.99 euros, that's $99 US!! I told them I'd return it and buy a Garmin with the latest maps before paying for something I was entitled to. They didn't seem to care.

Thanks for nothing TOMTOM!!!!

Exactly what I was told,crappy CS as well as the company lying about there guarantee. It was over the 2 week return period so I could not return it.too bad

That's just how TomTom rolls.

I bought a TOMTOM One 2nd Edition last month, but before I did so I called TOMTOM to ensure I'd be entitled to a free upgrade to the version 7 maps. They insisted I would be.

The exact same thing happened to me. I called before I bought as well, and was told the same thing. Try this for fun: call up tomtom, ask for SALES, and then tell them you want to get the most recent supported map for your ONE. They will tell you to buy 710. If you ask them if it is supported, they say YES. Now hang up, call tech support about the latest map feature, and ask them if 710 is supported. They say NO.

Sounds like there are a lot of people who are getting hit by this. Anyone want to start a mailing list? Or shall we take it lying down?:mad: :mad:

Alright i'm going to vent on this forum, because I got the exact same run around.

So version 7.10 is the latest, but i can't upgrade to it
I can buy 7.10, which is the latest, but can't get it for free, even though i JUST bought my tomtom one..

This is ridiculous

------

Thank you for your reply. Inwoo, version 7.10 maps are the most up-to-date maps and are not available as an upgrade. The most current upgrade version we are able to provide free, is the version 6.75 which is what you are entitled to. If you choose to purchase v7.10, you can do that through TomTom HOME. I apologize for any confusion this causes.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to either e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866, Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 7:00 PM, EST. Thank you again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Gloria
TomTom Customer Support
Customer (inwoo kim) 16/11/2007 05.04 PM
Gloria | or whom it may concern,

Thank you for the support up to version 6.75. I was slightly confused why or why not the version i was being upgraded to, is not version 7.10. I am able to purchase the 7.10, which is the latest version from the mytomtom application, but, the version i am eligible for the 30 day upgrade guarantee is only 6.75?
Response (ST Gloria) 16/11/2007 04.57 PM
Dear Inwoo,

Thank you for your information. We have added updated maps version 6.75 to your account for you to download. Go to www.tomtom.com and login to your account. Once logged in, click on My TomTom, under PLUS Services select My Maps, in the right hand column, you will see maps of USA & Canada and further down you will see the voice of Mikey.

To install the maps, follow the instructions on How to install maps Using TomTom HOME. If you need assistance with this process, feel free to contact our live Technical Support department at the number listed below.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to either e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866, Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 7:00 PM, EST. Thank you again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

Ask a Question