USB problem

You can buy an adapter card for USB ports.... pretty inexpensive and easy to install....if you have the room for the hardware.

Here's a link from Tiger Direct USB cards...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=511&Nav=|c:109|&Sort=3&Recs=10

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I don't have any more slots left on my comp. What's so frustrating is that all my devices on all my 4 ports work perfectly. But I ordered a USB card, just in case that is the problem even though "support" claims incompatibility.

To my disappointment this is their response: "Thank you for contacting us regarding the compatibility of TomTom products with Windows XP Media Center Edition. We are glad to help.
(Help????)
We understand your point of view, (to have a malfunctioning device) and that is why we are constantly increasing the compatibility of our software, and we will regularly release updates that are compatible with more products. In this manner we hope to meet your needs and expectations. So as soon as we complete a possible update of our software and its compatibility, we will update the mentioned link. We apologize for any inconvenience. (what a snowjob!!!!!)

(Then to add insult to injury....)

"Please remember that we're offering our latest map upgrade at a special price until March 31st, once the promotion has finished the US and Canada maps will go back to it's normal price. For further details....." Yea, try to install it.

My new TT1 doesn't connect either. Here are the steps I do:

- Bring up HOME.
- Connect the TT1 to a USB port. (The "charging" light on the top of the TT1 comes on)
- I turn the TT1 on. (the "do you want to connect to your computer?" screen comes on). I touch "yes". A yellow "loading" bar comes along the bottom of the TT1. Also, the computer makes the sounds it does when I plug in other devices.
- Still nothing in My Computer, or on HOME.

Now, I try it on my lap top and everything works fine. The one difference on the desk top is, I'm pluging the USB wire into a Belkin "four in one" splitter.

I connect my ONE and my 910 to a 4 usb splitter and it works fine.
I don't start HOME first. I let my computer recognize the removable devices then I turn on HOME.

When in HOME, go to Device>Change Device. Does the TT1 show up as an option? If it does, that should do it.

If not, report back.

HOME still doesn't see the TT1. I just put the card into a reader in my printer. It not only read all the files, it started HOME and wanted to download and whatever. It scared me, so I took the card out.

HOME still doesn't see the TT1. I just put the card into a reader in my printer. It not only read all the files, it started HOME and wanted to download and whatever. It scared me, so I took the card out.

You don't need to worry, that's actaully normal. There is a autorun file that launches HOME on your SD card.

Have you tried soft restting your TT1? There is a hole on the bottom of your device, just above the SD card slot, is where the reset button is located. Stick a safety pin in there and you should feel a button being pressed. Hold that button for a good 30 seconds. Then try connecting again.

Question: Does your computer recognize that the TT1 is plugged into it, meaning does it show up as a removable storage device?

If not, check to see if you have a firewall blocking the two from communicating.

I appreciate your help and concern. No - I didn't get the Garmin. I tried my son's Dell laptop again and this time it worked, but I had to connect directly to the comp's USB port. When I connected it through his USB hub it failed also. So my problem is the USB port. When I tried to connect TT1 directly to my computer - it still failed. My plans now are to contact Sony to see if they have a fix. If not I will have to use my son's PC to backup etc. My wife will not give up "Jane". And I like her too.

I finally resolved the USB problem. Bought a USB desktop hard disk, and since that also didn't work a gave Sony a call. Clicking on Properties on the yellow question mark in the device manager brings in the Wizard. In the box I typed in C:\WINDOWS\INF. I had to do this two times and my problem for the HD was solved. I did the same thing with TT and sure enough I was up-and-running. :)

Ask a Question