Problem with the USB cable port

Discussion in 'Hardware and Peripherals' started by dexter_walrus, May 21, 2008.

1. dexter_walrus

dexter_walrus

So, I think the place where my cable goes in my TT one XL is loose cause it charges/connects to computer only if i press it (and hold it) to certain position. The green light then turns on. If I don't touch the cable the green light is off or dimmed. I changed the cable but the problem remained, so it should be inside the GPS.
    I haven't opened it yet, but I'm going to. It is out of warranty.
    I just thought someone else could have the same problem and could give me an advice.
    Thanks

dexter_walrus, May 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. dexter_walrus

Xraydelta1

TomTom Model(s):
    One XL
    Had the same problem but unit was replaced under warranty. Doesn't really help you tho does it. :rolleyes: Apparently it's caused by the unit falling off the dash with the charger attached, which I blame on the shoddy suction mount.

I'd take it to a mobile phone (cell phone for you guys) repairer who'd probably do it on the spot.

Xraydelta1, May 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. dexter_walrus

danjreed

TomTom Model(s):
    TomTom One (3rd ed)
    If you handy with a soldering iron, I'd bet you can pop off the 4 screws on the back and just re-solder the broken connection.

Ive had that happen a lot with mobile electronics. Its often an easy fix. (Laptop, cellphones, Radar units)

Take your time and do it on a well lit surface with a small clean work space.

I often wonder why manufacturers don't add some reinforcement epoxy to the connector at the base of the PC boards to prevent flexing.

danjreed, May 25, 2008
  4. dexter_walrus

dexter_walrus

Thanks guys,
    Now I have to find where they sell soldering iron, since i recently moved to the USA (and it's been "mobile phones" before that :) ).
    I thought about buying it but i didn't know what's the word for it. :))
    That will help me a lot with my mp3 player that has loose port to the headphones.
    And I beleive that the reason for my GPS to break was falling down with the cable plugged in. The mount just refused to do it's job some days.

Thanks

dexter_walrus, May 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question