USB problem with GO 950

I have USB problem with my GO 950 and Windows XP Home Edition (SP3).

When connecting to computer it say the USB device is not recognized. I have tried all tricks....

- restarted computer several times
- restarted TomTom several times
- did the reset for TomTom several times
- have unenabled the "unknown device" and then re-connected the TomTom
- have tried to update the drivers for all USB devices, but result was my XP says "nothing to update"
- have installed TomTom HOME, then uninstalled it and re-installed it

In TomTom support page they ask to enable the device, but when I go to hardware page, my TomTom is NOT found from the disk drives at all. And I also cannot see it in "my computer".

Do not know what to do anymore, please help me ... someone....

I know the problem is NOT with the device or cable, because tried it in another computer with Windows 7 and it worked nicely. But that computer is not my computer, so I truly wish I could connect my TomTom GO 950 to my personal computer.

Hi,

I have a 950 which I have had no trouible connecting to a computer running XP Professional, so all I can suggest is to try:

1. With the 950 on its dock with the usb cable disconnected, turn on the 950 then, after the 950 gets past the "splash" screen" connect the USB cable,

If this does not work then

2. With the 950 on its dock and the USb cable connected and TT home not running, turn on the 950.

In my situation the 950 will respond with a screen which gives you the option of conncting to the computer or not - select "connect", TT home should then load and provide a window which will ask you if you want to update any of the offers it might have found.

Don't - until after you have used Windows Exploer (Not Internet Exploreer) to save a complete copy of the contents of the 950 to a nominated folder on you Computer's hard drive.

Remember to get a complete picture of the 950's contents by enabling the "view hidden folders/files" in the tools drop down menu. Having a full copy of the 950's contents will/should enable you to reconfigure the 950's contents if anything goes awry.

If neither of these work, then I would be starting to suspect the USB port on the computer, I think you said the 950 docks to another machine - are you using the same usb cable? I'm assuming it is the one supplied with the 950, and so this possibility (of a bad cable) is eliminated - and you have eliminated the 950 by docking on an alternative computer.

Hopefully you did not upgrade any of the 950s software or data files when you docked elsewhere? There is a lot of comment on the forum that suggests that OS upgrades are problematic - this is why having a back up is useful

Cheers

Alan

Last edited:
I'd also assume something's wrong with the computer if the same dock/device works in Win7.

In device manager, do you have anything with a yellow exclamation or red x?

How old is the computer? Old computers have issues with USB2, you may want to switch to USB1 in your BIOS.

Have you updated your computer bios and/or usb drivers to the latest version?

Thank you for the replies. :)

I have searched for hours and hours what to do. Then I finally went to Fujitsu-Siemens homepage and found directions how to remove all the USB devices (also the hidden ones). I did it and removed also DOUBLE TomTom disk devices and SEVERAL unknown USB devices. And then I let Windows to install all again. And IT WORKED!!! At the moment the software and map updates going smoothly! So happy :)

Glad things worked out for you.......

Now (you probably know) to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.........

Ask a Question