USB problem

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE
Just got my TomTom One and love it. After 5 emails to TomTom support I still cant backup my device. Anyone else have this problem. Oh yes, my USB port is ok and I tried a new USB cable and I reinstalled the new version of HOME.

Well we should go back to basics..

Check to see if the SD Card is not in the locked position. When you look at the SD card there is a little switch, try toggling that.

Also when connecting your TT1 to the computer, do you see the TomTom drive when you open up 'My Computer'? Try copying a file to and from the SD Card.

Last resort try switching usb ports on the comp. If on doesn't work try a different port.

Welcome! Did you try what digital suggested? Make sure your device is OFF before you connect it to your PC too... Connect it then turn it on, it will ask if you wnt to connect, say yes.

Welcome! Did you try what digital suggested? Make sure your device is OFF before you connect it to your PC too... Connect it then turn it on, it will ask if you wnt to connect, say yes.
I changed the switch on the SD card - no difference.
And I don't see TT1 in My Computer.
I use the USB port on the computer for other peripherals so am assuming it must be ok. I also used a new USB cable.
The last hint from TT1 support was to refresh TT1 driver in the Device manager in the Control Panel. Its not there. Then they hinted my problem may be related to my Windows Media Edition.
I am waiting for their reply.
Thank you for your help.

I changed the switch on the SD card - no difference.
And I don't see TT1 in My Computer.
I use the USB port on the computer for other peripherals so am assuming it must be ok. I also used a new USB cable.
The last hint from TT1 support was to refresh TT1 driver in the Device manager in the Control Panel. Its not there. Then they hinted my problem may be related to my Windows Media Edition.
I am waiting for their reply.
Thank you for your help.

Hmmm...it seems like your comp doesn't recognize your SD card. Do you have a memory card reader? If you do place the SD card in the card reader and see if it shows up in my computer.

If it doesn't work maybe try it on another computer. Thats is using the card reader or install home and try doing a backup there. If you can then you know its your comp. If you can't there might be a problem with the SD card.

I have a SD card reader built in my comp. It reads the card ok. So every thing is pointing to my Sony comp. I would hate to buy a new computer just to make TT1 backup and update files. I doubt that I am the only one with this problem. TT1 must be aware of it. It probably didn't get escalated up far enough. (I hope).

uninstall HOME. I'm reading you reinstalled the new version. on top of the old? uninstall completely. reinstall.

Also after you plug in the USB and turn on the device, do you ever get the "USB mass storage device" icon down by the clock? Can you see the SD card as a drive in my computer? It won't be listed as TT1...

Is this the original card?

How old is your unit?
My guess would be an SD card that works, but a defective unit.
Sorry I didn't want to jump to conclusions.
My first ONE was defective and I returned it for another.

You say it works on your comp - thats music my ears. Yes I completely uninstalled the old version. And when it still didn't work I did a "clean install" with msconfig, which disables various elements.
I also don't get a "USB mass storage device" display, nor can I see the SD card, which is the original, as a drive in "My Computer". I bought the unit about a month ago. Support now tells me "I'll be happy to forward your issue onto Product Management. If you are able, please try to use a supported Operating Sytem, such as XP Pro/Home or Mac OS 10.39 or higher. System requirements are stated on the website. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
They seem to be washing their hands.

I tried to access the device on a Dell Laptop - same results. So, it must be the device. Right? I then went back to the store where I bougth it and after arguing they gave me a brand new unit. Went home, installed it again - same problem. This is absolutely maddening. I will take it back again and get a Garmin, as much as I hate to do this as I like it and my wife absolutely loves it. Why me :-(

Sorry to hear about this frustration.
Could you explain your process step by step.

I know your plugging in your ONE to your computer.
From there you turn on the ONE and your device should give you a message asking you if you want to connect to your computer.
You must select YES.
If you don't see this step, then your computer won't see your ONE.
Next you turn on TT HOME. It should detect your ONE.
Etc.
If you have done different steps, please share with them to see what exactly is going wrong.

For me its a little bit different. I have to follow these tips all the time because if I don't I always get the message that I a usb device could not be recoginzed.

Theres are my steps:

1. Open up my TT HOME app. I wait for it to load on my screen.

2. My TT ONE unit is currently turned off. I plug the usb cable to my ONE and my computer.

3. I then turn on my TT1.

4. On your TT1, as soon as it turns on you should wait till you see a message about connecting to your computer. Tap the option yes.

5. The TT HOME app recognizes a TT1 has been connected and you should be ready to go.

At this point you can minimize the app. If you open up 'My Computer' you should see the TomTom drive.

I hope this info helps you.

I agree with Pedro.
My comp also will not recognize the TT ONE until I agree on the tomtom unit
for it to connect to computer.
I hope this helped... and i hope this wasn't too late of response from us to
return the TT ONE for garmin product...
you will save more money and user-friendliness by staying with TT...

yeah me too
I researched for 2 weeks before buying TT over garmin product...
I thought TT was well worth the price with its capabilities
even though garmin was the first (?) gps company...

I appreciate your help and concern. No - I didn't get the Garmin. I tried my son's Dell laptop again and this time it worked, but I had to connect directly to the comp's USB port. When I connected it through his USB hub it failed also. So my problem is the USB port. When I tried to connect TT1 directly to my computer - it still failed. My plans now are to contact Sony to see if they have a fix. If not I will have to use my son's PC to backup etc. My wife will not give up "Jane". And I like her too.

Last edited:

Ask a Question