Updated to 8.35. Now my 920 won't start

Thanks but none of those plans worked either.
I can operate the tomtom via the pc using 'operate my device' but that seems to be the only way I can have any impact at all on the unit.
It continually cycles back and forth and I can't even turn it off without resetting it.
The computer recognises it but the tomtom doesnt change.
It used to say 'do you want to connect to the computer' whenever I put it into the dock.

Are you using an SD? If so, leave it out and see if it starts up.

Try backing up everything from the Tomtom, then formatting the Tomtom as fat32 (not a quickformat). Can windows 7 even do a fat32 format? Then use HOME to install the latest application and see if it gets to "no maps found".

Let us know the outcome, if it says "no maps found" instead of rebooting, that's progress and we can try further steps.
-

Yes!!!

I did as you said - had already previously done the same following the tomtom support page (yes win 7 can do fat32) but reinstalling from backup on explorer

however

now, with just downloading new app from tomtomhome as you suggested it does indeed say no maps found and I can actually physically operate the device - progress woo hoo! Thank you!

Where to now?

I copied europe maps to the device using explorer and after ejecting the device it worked but without all the voices, only a few basic ones

So I copied everything I had backed up back onto the device using explorer and got the same problem as before.

Does this mean something is corrupted?

Anyway I'm reformatting again now and will do an application update using tomtom home as before and just re install the europe map using explorer as I did before. It seems to work and I really need to use it on Friday.

Got it working with just europe maps and voices transferred from explorer after reformat and app download. Ill sort the rest out when I get home but for now I just desperately needed it here.

Just want to thank you very much for all your help and replies. It is very much appreciated!

Hi
I have a similar problem in that the TT GO 720 is not visible to both Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 Ulitmate PC. It used to work fine previously but appears to have had a corruption issue on device.

I have tried to restore from previous backup however TT720 refuses to offer the connect to PC menu.

I cannot see the internal memory on explorer either. I have followed the directions on TT website re format internal memory, performed pin resets on numerous occassions and to no avail.

I have establised that if I restore the backup to a SDRAM card - thru explorer, then the unit works but I need it to work from the internal memory.

Any ideas on how to reset the internal memory so that I can do a manual restore via Explorer.

I have tried the steps in this thread but it doesnt work.

Cheers
:mad:

For most people, a pin reset works. But you said it didn't work for you.

If your device is under warranty, call Tomtom for a replacement.

If out of warranty, you can try these steps to update your USB software on the Tomtom. They are not approved by Tomtom, are irreversible, and could void an active warranty. Again, any damage it causes is irreversible so use at your own risk.

use winar to extact the contents of this file onto a blank SD card. Insert the SD in the Tomtom, do a pin reset, and turn the Tomtom on. After it fully starts up, turn it off and take out the SD card. Now see if the Tomtom starts up from the internal memory.

Last edited:

Ask a Question