need a battery and a updated map

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
Hello,
I have a GO730 which i purchased in 2006 the best i can reminder.
It needs a new battery and a map update. Is there some where i can send it to have this done.
It was purchased at a Staples in Mooresville, North Carolina

Here is a video to change the battery on the 730.

Once you change the battery, connect to Home to update it with whatever is offered (application, etc.). Then click on 'purchase maps' in Home and take it from there. You may wish to buy an 8 gb sdhc (not sd) card for the device to allow for the full sized map of whatever you request. They've grown in size since 2006.

Thank you for the reply.
I think i will try to do the battery replacement.
But i do not think the map update is something i can handle.
Question: when changing out the battery do you lose your favorites? The 8gb sdhc card what is that (picture) and where can that be purchased.
The map is the original that came with the unit or would it just be better to buy a whole new unit.

Again thanks!!

No you don't lose favourites. The 8 gb sdhc card should be able to be purchased at a Best Buy or other electronics store, a WalMart, etc.

Purchasing a map is done through Home. Click on the Purchase Map icon.

@GULFMAN
While changing the battery won't do anything to your favorites, it IS possible that your code is so down-rev that you might lose them when updating to a new map.
To be sure this is not a problem, please save a copy of the file called mapsettings.cfg that is inside your North_America map folder.
In fact, before doing any major update of either unit firmware or a map, we recommend this full backup procedure >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

One last question.
Being the unit is approximately 9 years old what would would be a good replacement to my old GO730?

Thanks Again

One last question.
Being the unit is approximately 9 years old what would would be a good replacement to my old GO730?

Thanks Again
Depends. Which of the features on your 730 do you treasure the most? Features such as FM modulator and aux audio out haven't been offered for quite a long time. No *.itn itineraries, either. Let us know what you use the most.

I have a few questions too. Our GPS is not staying charged we have tried other cables, outlets, on off thing and still having issues. Would you be able to help me on this?

It may be the battery is toast. Are you using the cable that came with the device? Does the non-charging happen in both the car and when connected for a few hours to the computer?

Factory reset probably wouldn't help. (Settings-->Restore to factory defaults). You might try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. May not help but won't hurt.

See below:

Factory reset probably wouldn't help. (Settings-->Restore to factory defaults). You might try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. May not help but won't hurt.

See below:
ok thanks .. thinking it is a bad battery where do we get a new one for it?

Ask a Question