Updated and now no maps work, HELP

TomTom Model(s)
GO 930
Ok, this morning I hooked up my 920 GO to the computer, did all updates shown and none of my maps will work, USA Canada or Europe!

What now? How do I restore to pre-update setup?

Do you have a backup of your unit at some time (any time) before you performed the update?

What updates did you perform?

Answers to those questions will help us decide how to start the process.

Do you have a backup of your unit at some time (any time) before you performed the update?

What updates did you perform?

Answers to those questions will help us decide how to start the process.

How do I know if a backup was stored somewhere on my PC?

I cannot remember what updates were listed this AM. I do remember something about a GPS Fix, but I cannot remember what the others were. Anyway to find that out?

I do remember something about map share corrections also.

I tried to do a restore after it would not work with any of the three maps in it, but it will not cure the messages that appear when it asks which map I would like to use.
This is what I get;

"Problem with map
You cannot use this map on this
device: USA_and_Canada-27"

or Eastern_Europe-27, or Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB-27 is all I get.

Thanks,

Charles

Last edited:
These are the responses I get when trying to load a map.

Charles

Attachments

• 6-16-2012 trouble USA.JPG
    6-16-2012 trouble USA.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 389
  • 6-16-2012 trouble Eastern Europe.JPG
    6-16-2012 trouble Eastern Europe.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 397
  • 6-16-2012 trouble Central Europe.JPG
    6-16-2012 trouble Central Europe.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 383
You would nominally know if there was a backup on your PC because you had asked Home to create one, or used your PC's operating system to copy the files someplace safe on your PC.

Please check the firmware version on your unit. Problem is - how that is done varies a bit with the version of firmware you have running. But for now, try pressing in the lower right hand corner of your screen. What you should see next is another screen, and down in the lower right, something that shows the "Version". Wondering if it is 9.430 or some other version?

As to backups, a backup of your map is what's critical at this juncture. Look here:

My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map
If there are any folders there, we have a map to work with.

My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\GO
If there is a folder there called BACKUP01, you have made a Home backup at some point, and there should be a map there.

Can I do that if the only screen I can get is one of the three I posted above?
Wait a sec ... that's a Home screen shot. Does your unit look like this when you are NOT running it from Home? What happens if you press "OK" in response?

Another way to get your current firmware level is to look at the files on your unit with your PC (it looks like just another external hard drive) and review the content of the file called ttgo.bif. It can be opened with any word processor or text editor. We're interested in the line that begins with "ApplicationVersionVersionNumber="

Another way to get your current firmware level is to look at the files on your unit with your PC (it looks like just another external hard drive) and review the content of the file called ttgo.bif. It can be opened with any word processor or text editor. We're interested in the line that begins with "ApplicationVersionVersionNumber="

This is what I find in that file ttgo.bif, this is on the P: Drive when the unit is plugged into the dock.

"[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom GO 920
DeviceVersionHW=GO 920
DeviceSerialNumber=M87108H01351
DeviceUniqueID=AK8AY ASATS
RamDiskVersion=20120321
BootLoaderVersion=10012
LinuxVersion=1000
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9430
ApplicationVersion=890926.103
UserLanguage=English US
UserName=
LastConnectionTime=Never
GPSFirmwareVersion=Unknown
BuiltInColorScheme0=Belgica
BuiltInColorScheme1=Brittanica
BuiltInColorScheme2=America
BuiltInColorScheme3=Germanica
BuiltInColorScheme4=Australia
BuiltInColorScheme5=Deuteranopia
BuiltInColorScheme6=Greys
BuiltInColorScheme7=Antarctica
BuiltInColorScheme8=Africa
BuiltInColorScheme9=Astra
BuiltInColorScheme10=Asia
BuiltInColorScheme11=Brasilia
BuiltInColorScheme12=Concordia
BuiltInColorScheme13=NewAnglia
CurrentColorSchemeBuiltIn=11
CurrentVoiceInfo=Jane
CurrentMap=
CurrentMapVersion=0.0
Traffic=N
CurrentFuelpricesType=
CurrentFuelpricesTypeString=
CurrentFuelpricesLastFullUpdate=
Features=PlusDownloadDynamic,PlusDownloadGeneral,PlusDownloadMap,PlusDownloadPOI,PlusDownloadScheme,PlusDownloadUpgrade,PlusDownloadVoice,PlusDownloadRingTone,PlusMessageNotification,PlusPushChannel,PlusTraffic,PlusOrRDSTMCTraffic,PlusWeather,PlusEphemeris,PlusSafetyCamerasDynamic,PlusRoadConditions,PlusSafetyCamerasStatic,PlusFuelPrices,HDTraffic,PlusTripReporting,HidRemote,HomeBackup,GPRSEngine,VoiceRecording,ASR,TTS,TTSCompressed,MP3,IPOD,MusicPlayer,PhotoViewer,PhotoJPGViewer,PhotoBMPViewer,VoiceBrowser,LinkVolumeToNoise,MapShare,Newyork,Itinerary,Caymann,Durham,Leeway,Handsfree,PhoneFeatures,CarSymbol,RichPOI,FrequentDestinations,PermanentMapCfg,RDSTMC,Prague,Bluetooth,SDSlot,InternalFlash,Microphone,ExternalModem,SettingsOverride,SDK,USBAccessories,HTTPActivation,MultipleMaps,Traffic,MapOverlays,Documents,WarningSounds,ArrivalSounds,DangerZonesCameras
UnsupportedFeatures=PlusForceMessageNotification,PlusBuddies,PlusFuelPriceTimestamp,Hercules,HerculesTraffic,Oxford,TrackMe,OnDevicePayments,ASRCnC,TTSUncompressed,TTSLoquendo700,TTSNuance51,Games,LinkVolumeToSpeed,ZeroVolumeSupported,CaymannAlwaysOn,MAC,DepartureAdvisor,RouteInfoBackToSummary,VehicleProfile,MapShareVehicleProfile,3DCarModels,TextureRendering,ExtraSounds,UserSkin,InternalModem,HardDisk,SMSSupported,Keyboard,SupportKeyControl,SupportGetAMap,Work,WorkEnabled,WorkPromotion,WorkTuria,WorkMurcia,WorkBremen,WorkUsePlus,WorkStartUpPromotion,LiveServices,SimpleMapBrowserButtonBar,AltDefaultCarSymbol
SupportedPatchTypes=3F
NrSupportedErrorTypes=138
UserPatchDatVersion=102
CompressedPatchVersion=200
MapServerPatchDatVersion=105
DeletedPoiDatVersion=200
ServerLineIndexDatVersion=102
ServerNameIndexDatVersion=102
MapShareSupportedProviders=243
CharacterSet=TTU
VehicleBrand=
VehicleModel=
VehicleOptions="

Charles

As to backups, a backup of your map is what's critical at this juncture. Look here:

My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map
If there are any folders there, we have a map to work with.

My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\GO
If there is a folder there called BACKUP01, you have made a Home backup at some point, and there should be a map there.

I think it only shows one from today.
See below, I hope you can read it.

Attachments

• 6-16-2012 trouble Backup.JPG
    6-16-2012 trouble Backup.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 347
You appear to have a backup of your maps (and most everything else). That's good.

One cheap shot... using a paper clip or similar, gently depress the RESET button on the bottom of your unit for a few seconds. There's an off chance that this will resolve the problem before we go on to more drastic methods.

IF that provides no relief...
I would consider a reload of your firmware from scratch.

Connect your GO to your PC. Ignore Home for now (minimize it if need be).

Start with this procedure for a 'new' backup (link =>) https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

With your GO connected to your PC, Delete all of the files and folders from your GO.

Having done that, properly disconnect using Home or the little USB disconnect icon in the systray (lower right of your PC screen). Then reconnect your device again. Without an application, Home will attempt to get you one. Accept that update (and that one only if there are more) and Home will load new firmware to your GO. If you are offered something earlier than 9.430 to start, accept that, and go through the disconnect/reconnect procedure again until Home offers you 9.430.

Once the 9.430 firmware is installed, you can copy the two map folders (USA_and_Canada, and Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB) back to your GO from the "Backup01" directory where you found your earlier backup.

OK, I have tried this multiple times and the only firmware it seems to come up with for download is Ver 7.480.

Screen shot below.

Is this acceptable?

Charles

Attachments

• Version 7.480 Only.JPG
    Version 7.480 Only.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 358
No it is not, it's 5 years old.

But do install it and then repeat the process of connecting to Home and 'update my device' (maybe a few times) as newer apps are installed. Eventually, you should get offered the 9.430 version.

Like dhn said ... and like I said ...
" If you are offered something earlier than 9.430 to start, accept that, and go through the disconnect/reconnect procedure again until Home offers you 9.430."

Home will step up your firmware incrementally in some cases, but you have to install one to get the next.

OK, I'll try that.

Tried to reinstall 9.430 from the PC using Home, but I just tried it and still have the same problems, SO....

Wipe it out again and try what you just said.

Ask a Question