Not enough memory for updated maps

TomTom Model(s)
One v2
I have been given a Tom Tom one version 2 and bought an updated map. Tom Tom accepted payment etc but I can't upload the new maps as it says there's not enough memory.

What do I do? I have plugged in the SD card into the PC but I don't know what files I need to keep and what I can remove.

I called Tom Tom Support who kindly (not) told me that as its not a newer model, they can't give me any technical support over the phone (thanks). Very annoying having paid for something that I can't use.

Copy EVERYTHING form the original SD card to a larger one, then you should be able to install the map.

(I can't be more precise, because you haven't said if you got a "regional" or "Europe" or "America" version of the ONE nor what new map you bought! - can you give EXACT details?)

You can do the copy and paste using Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder) Are you able to do that yourse;lf or do you need more detailed help?

No need to buy an overpriced card from TomTom, any reasonably fast 2GB SD card will do, but use a decent manufacturer's one not the cheapest you can find. Kingston or SanDisk are good makes.

Don't be tempted to get a 4GB card as I don't think that model will cope with it, and make sure you get "normal" SD, not SDHC.

Finally, there was much confusion over the naming of the various "ONE" models, there never was a "v2" but there was a "second edition". Easiest way to get us all thinking of the same thing is to enter the first 2 characters of your serial number into the box on this webpage:
Which TomTom device do I have?

(Just watch it report back saying it's a "v2" and prove me wrong!)

Last edited:
It is the second edition. I don't know a lot about it as only just been given it by someone who lost her husband (It was his and she doesn't drive). It looks like it has Europe on it according to the pic on the box!

I was downloading an up-to-date British map as this is about 5 years old and UK roads change like the weather!

I will look for a bigger SD card and try that. Thanks for your help.

(I assume that the map I bought has saved somewhere in Tom Tom Home so I can load it later).

K

I
(I assume that the map I bought has saved somewhere in Tom Tom Home so I can load it later).

I wouldn't assume that!
It should be there, but don't assume anything where Home is concerned.

If you are running Windows XP, have a look in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ map

(For Windows 7/VISTA it starts C:\Users\[username]... but I forget the rest!)

It should be in it's own folder there, called "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland" (or something similar)
Look in the folder and there should be a file called "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland.pna". That's a text file you can open in Notepad. The map's version number is the third line down.

Ask a Question