With I Have Enough Memory on Next Map Update

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 620
So I have a GO 600.
On map 9.50, I have a free memory of ~250MB
After the 9.55 update, I have a free memory of 98MB
(I only have speed camera subscription, no other custom POI)

I know its 3 months ahead, but will I need to purchase a SD card to prepare for the next map update?

At the rate they are going, it won't surprise me if a full 9.60 doesn't break a few 8GB barriers. They're adding a lot of speed limits, mapping a lot of new mall and business parking lots, and keep adding those (silly) 3D buildings to more and more areas. At least 16GB Class 10 uSD cards are getting dirt cheap .. $10 or less in a lot of places for known brands (including Amazon for Sandisk).

Chuckle -- that would be a 10, and it certainly will.

Just came across something on TomTom website
Note: As long as there is enough space in the internal memory of your navigation device, MyDrive Connect installs your map in that memory. If there is not enough space in the internal memory, MyDrive Connect lets you create free space in the internal memory or, if available, use a memory card installed in your device.
So it appears that there is no way to force install on the SD card unless there is not enough room on internal, then it will install on SD

I just wondering what is using so many memory.
8GB = 8,000,000,000 Byte ~ 7450 MB
The map is using 6179MB, and the device is showing 6957MB used, 98MB free
So the OS and favorites and speed cameras and mapshares add up to 6957-6179 = 778MB
The total memory is 6957+98 = 7055MB, to technically its a 7GB device. So, why is it call 8GB device? If it is indeed a 8GB device, where did the extra 400MB go?

Indeed -- to keep from bricking a unit, once new firmware is uploaded to the unit, it is held there for validation before it is used to overwrite the current firmware.

Ask a Question