Xl 340S - Not enough memory?

tfd

Hello,
I am new here. Just got one of these as a gift. Went to update the map (USA, Canada, Mexico) and was told that there was not enough memory.
Some details that may be of help as follows?
On TomTom HOME, it says that the device has 1958.5Mb of memory. It also says, looking at the computer tab, which I guess is where the new map was stored, that the new map is 1989.0Mb.
Am I just looking at this wrong or does it say that the memory required by the new map is MORE than the total memory (not free memory) in the device, even if I totally cleaned it off?
Sorry if this has already been answered here previously - I tried a search and looked around a bit, but did not see an answer to my specific question.
Any help would be appreciated. I have not contacted tech support yet as I just received this on Friday night.
Thanks,
Tim

TomTom provided a map too large to fit internal storage area of the unit.

Go to the location on your computer of the downloaded compressed map folder, usually found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map

And look at the contents using winrar or equivalent. Extract a folder called Loquendo (it may be called Vocalizer in your map) and extract it to the desktop or a temp folder or somewhere you'll know where it is.

Now, try the Home install of the map. It should fit. If it does, use Home to move to Remove items from my unit and select voices. Remove all foreign voices. You may want to also remove some English voices that you aren't going to use.

Now, use Explorer and copy the Loquendo folder back to the unit. Remove the unit properly from the computer. Use the blue icon in the bottom right of Home's screen to disconnect.

Does it all work now? If so, you should make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents.

dhn,
I do indeed have that folder. Under maps, I have a folder called "USA_Canada_Mexico". That where TomTom placed a ZIP file and several small files. I had previously extracted the ZIP file before joining this group to see what was there.
There is no file named what you were asking me to look for anywhere under the maps folder nor in any of teh subfolders.
The extracted files are mostly .DAT files, as expected I suppose with about 4-5 of them being really large (200-600Mb each).
Also - I assume when you say use explorer to copy the map to the unit you mean simply drag and drop it there since I see the TomTom as a drive/device when it is connected.
With it connected, I do see a folder on the TomTom called "LoquendoTTS" and it appears to have all the voice data in it - I see the names of the selections on the device.
I also see a folder on the TomTom called "USA_Canada_Mexico" which appears to have all the map data.
I assume you were trying to separate the voices from the map and get me to drop only the map there? Not sure what data that I downloaded is the voices. There are a string of large data files titled "cspeech_NC" and the last two letters appear to correspond to states, so that does not appear to be them.
Still not sure what to do on this....
Fairly disappointed that TomTom has not made this easier. Feels like I am having to "hack" this thing to get an updated map. I found other posts after looking through the site where others have had to do the same.
Tim

Call Tomtom phone support.

They made the latest (version 835) map too big to fit on the device. If you call them, they'll give you map 830 to use for now, and set you up to download 835 once they shrink it.

Still trying to get this fixed!!!! Customer Service did tell me that they had fixed the issue with the map that was too large. I was told to delete the current map before I tried again, which did not work correctly when I did it. The map went away, but it did not free up the total memory held by the map. Only had 677Mb free when the delete said it was done. The next person I got on the line was just an idiot - my gosh. I just told her I had to go - I figured better luck next time. I keep getting shuffled around with "do this and call us back" instructions. If I had actually bought this thing (I received as a gift) I would return it. Nothing but a pain thus far. I have several gadgets that either need constant interface with the PC or updating on the PC and NOTHING I have ever owned has been this much trouble. I had a Garmin aviation GPS that was always flawless. Guess you get what you pay for.
Supposedly this new map is downloading right now - we will see if this finally fixes the issue after 5 calls to tech support.
Tim

If it doesn't work, do the following:
1) copy mapsettings.cfg in your tomtom's usa_canad_mexico folder to your hard drive
2) format the tomtom
3) plug in the tomtom to home, download the application, map, voice, then quickgpsfix (in that order)
4) copy mapsettings.cfg back from your hard drive to the Tomtom
5) then follow these steps

For anyone else reading this thread, please note that maps aren't free. Only do this if you have your map already download into your Tomtom HOME application.

Why such *#%? I just got one and it seems that 2 gig insnt enough memory, is there a way to increase it? This is my first TomTom product and this memory issue seems rediculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way to increase it, unless these really old disassembly steps still work.

Tomtom constrains the memory in low-end models to differentiate from the high-end GO line. They doubled the memory from 1gb in the 2008 130/330, to 2gb in the 2009 140/340.

If you need more memory you'll have to buy a higher-end GO model with the expandable SD slot. They support SD cards up to 32gb.

Ask a Question