HELP - Not Enough Memory for Map Update

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL-S
I just updated the firmware of my NEW TT 1XL-S and then tried to update to the latest map. The USA/Canada map downloaded but when it was about to install it came up and said that there was not enough room on the device to install the new map and I needed to delete 6.3 mb. I went through the files on the unit and there are not 6.3mb to delete.

I am really confused how a new unit with nothing extra added to it can not do the new map update!

Want do I do?????

Thanks for any help!

It tells me that I have to delete 6.3 mb from the unit. I cannot find anything that large to delete or enought small things that will not compromise the usefulness of the unit.

Okay, take a deep breath......

Goto this thread here and look at my instructions about four posts down about removing items. Read it carefully and follow the steps. Ignore the info about getting a 4-gig card. Doesn't apply to your unit.

I called TomTom support. He told me to go to a tomtom webpage that would guide me through the steps to install the map. I asked what about the need to clear space and he said that this did not matter because this site would delete the old map before the new map was installed and it would all be automatic.

Unfortunately, this magic website was just the tomtom support page that described using TomTom Home to get the free map update. When I went to install the map that I had already downloaded I still get the need more memory warning.

Do I need to delete the USA map that is in the gps before I install the new map?

He also told me that if I add an SD card I can use both the internal memory and the SD card memory (and not need to transfer all of the system over to the SD card). He recommended an SDHC card.

So now I am more confused - as this is not what I have read on the threads here.

He was wrong about being able to use both the sd card and internal. That's only for higher end models. Go back to the link here that I gave in my post and remove stuff from the downloaded map prior to installation. Pay attention to the instructions about making a copy of the cab file first.

What was downloaded was a zip file of the map folder. The zip file contains only dat files and a small cab file that I could not open.

I really would rather not be deleting anything - if I have to cripple the device to load new maps there is something not right.

Also - is TT tech support wrong about everything? I would think that they know what model takes which SD card. And I was advised by them to go to a page of instructions that had nothing to do with the problem.

I repeat, your model cannot use the card as the Support person described. With your model, it's an either/or situation; with x20, x30 series, the units can use sd card space IN ADDITION to internal.

If you use a utility like Unzip or the like, you should be able to right click the cab file and extract unneeded files (like additional voice files, perhaps) and then try installing.

I repeat, your model cannot use the card as the Support person described. With your model, it's an either/or situation; with x20, x30 series, the units can use sd card space IN ADDITION to internal.

Perhaps the update changed that? :p

Nah I highly doubt it. It's sad that support gives out this type of info.

Recent TT models all feature 2 highly integrated Sasung chipsets: one for ONE models and one for GO models. I believe the SD/internal memory limitation is a matter of the ONE chipset not allowing the use of both at the same time. I investigated the possibility of changing the Samsung chipset in my ONE XL-S with one for the GO model but could not find any in unit quantity after a few hours of searching. I now think the only probability would be to get a broken screen 7x0 or 9x0 given or real cheap to go that route...

UPDATE -

I got back on the phone with TT support today. The tech could not understand why the new map would not fit. She had me delete the current map and try to load the new map. There was still not enough room. Then she went to talk to a supervisor. She came back and she had me format the Tomtom. I did this reluctantly. She then had me copy the new map, the application, and the voice. She insisted that this would put the TT back to the exact state it would be in if it came from the factory. She said choose one voice file only. She was almost right. There was no start up screen, the doctor POIs were missing, and every time I started it, it came up that the voice that I selected was unavailable - and then had me select the computer voice again. I resolved that by loading the standard voices back. I had made a computer copy of the TT drive to my harddrive before I started any of this. I copied the startup screen file and the the doctor POI files directly to the TT. I also found that the sat images were not on the TT so I copied that file over also. At this point all seems to be working and all seems to fit with some room still to spare (but not much).

As to the SD card, I asked this tech the same question about the SD card. This time I was told, what I expected - and what everyone has said here - it is either or - if I use a card I must transfer the whole system over to that card. I asked what type of card and she said that it must be a standard SD card with a max of 2 GB.

Thanks to all.

Ask a Question