Not Enough Space

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 620
My GO 600 is showing 'Not Enough Space' warning to me recently (since the past 2 update(1 firmware, one map))
It said:
Current free space: 396 MB Internal memory
Your device needs at least 400 MB free space before it can import OV2 and GPX files. To make space, delete unwanted OV2 or GPX files using MyDrive, or delete device content using MyDrive Connect.

The problem is, I only have Map, firmware, MapShare, and camera database installed on my device. On my drive, it is showing 38 MB free space, and the Map offers an option to get a smaller map which I don't want. I do have a SD card installed but there is no such option to move the map onto the sd card (or option to move anything). It not a big problem right now since its not affecting anything, since I don't use custom POI files. Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

When there really isn't enough space, the map should be loaded to the uSD card since it is available. With 38MB left, you're right on the hairy edge. You can't manually move the map there -- it will eventually become a decision made by MyDrive.
So far, you're allowed to load the full map to the device, yes?

When there really isn't enough space, the map should be loaded to the uSD card since it is available. With 38MB left, you're right on the hairy edge. You can't manually move the map there -- it will eventually become a decision made by MyDrive.
So far, you're allowed to load the full map to the device, yes?
Yes full map is allowed, it just annoying that it shows me that message without allowing me to move the map over.

When you use MyDrive Connect and click MY CONTENT what does it show for Free Space?
It said 38 MB free on MyDrive Connect

Fair enough question. Even with no content, MDC should show the available space it finds.

I was wondering if the card was formatted as FAT32, inserted in the device and reformatted to TomTom's proprietary style.

Mighty hard to find a card that isn't formatted FAT32 from the factory, but if it was used in something else first....

Since it shows that free space, it should select it when needed without interaction by the user.
My GO 600 is showing 'Not Enough Space' warning
Did that warning prevent you from adding content?

He's said no (post #4), just that he didn't like the warning, though all it's trying to do is warn him that soon enough, he should probably have a uSD card on hand, which he has already dealt with in anticipation of the day.

He's said no (post #4), just that he didn't like the warning, though all it's trying to do is warn him that soon enough, he should probably have a uSD card on hand, which he has already dealt with in anticipation of the day.
Yep thats what happen. I like the fact that it gives me warning, but doesn't like when it won't allow me to move stuff over.
But if you read the warning on the first post, it seems like it won't allow me to add custom POI since I have less than required memory. It doesn't affect me, but will prevent people who uses custom POI from installing them without getting a smaller map first (since you can't move them)

There IS a way to force it to move things directly to uSD when downloading, but it requires filling up internal memory with another map or some enormous *.ov2 collection such that there's no other option for MDC except to put the new map on the uSD card. After that, whatever was sitting in internal and not needed can be deleted. That's not something a typical user is in the position of doing unless they've got multiple maps available to them.

The old benefit to keeping all maps on uSD cards really isn't there like it used to be anyway.

My setup is very basic. Map, mapshare, camera, and 20 favorites, and its already giving me that warning. I can't imagine other people with the same setup, but with the needs to install POI files, won't be able to do that under without forcing to move the map or getting a zoned map.

What you are seeing is the increasing size of each map. For example, I don't know if you had noticed, but things like parking lot geometry is being added at an incredible rate over the last year or so. That's turned out to be very useful since TT now sends you to the centroid of buildings that are not always close to their 'street', but rather, some other road behind them. Lot geometry makes it possible to route correctly.

What you are seeing is the increasing size of each map. For example, I don't know if you had noticed, but things like parking lot geometry is being added at an incredible rate over the last year or so. That's turned out to be very useful since TT now sends you to the centroid of buildings that are not always close to their 'street', but rather, some other road behind them. Lot geometry makes it possible to route correctly.
That I do notice. There are lots of parking lot driveway being added to the map recently (past couple map updates)

Ask a Question