Old problem...not enough space

TomTom Model(s)
XL 350 M
I have a 350 XL M. My temporary drive has 9 gigs free. The internal memory has 1.94 gigs free. I have followed the advice to free up even more space on the temporary drive. I even used a different drive with 500 gigs free as the temporary drive (I accessed this by changed the preferences in 'home' to reflect the new drive as the temporary drive.) 'Home" doesn't acknowledge there's enough space. I had removed all the files from the TT and downloaded a new application. The TT boots up but tells me I have no maps installed. And it won't allow maps to be installed, or any other files to be installed. Even though I have enough temporary space. Is this an unfixable problem? Thank you.

Guess we need to start from the start. Were you only trying to update the application when all of this happened?

Do you have a full backup of your unit, most importantly, your maps?

I plugged my TT into my computer in order to update maps. 'Home' opened and began the process. And stopped when the 'not enough space' dialogue appeared. I understand I need 8 gigs free. I have over 9 on this drive.

Aslo I do have a backup, april 2012, but when I restored, the TT auto rebooted and said no maps. I don't seem to able to place a screen shot that shows the backup folder has a maps folder USA_Canada etc.

@Jim
Pay heed to dhn's post and link! The 'trash can' issue is frequently the cause of missing space. That said, I am still concerned that you have a backup of your maps somewhere. We can recover anything else, but those maps are critical!

I show 9 gigs free on the drive. The trash can is empty. Here's what's in my backup maps folder. And thanks for helping me. I just can't seem to isolate what's getting in the way.

borders.dat
brand
citymap.dat
citymap.met
cline.dat
cname.dat
cnode.dat
cphoneme.dat
crpoi.dat
DeletedPoi.local
faces.dat
faces.met
housenrs.dat
mapinfo.dat
MapServerPatch.dat
mapsettings.cfg
MapUserPatch.dat
overview.dat
overview.met
PatchFilter.dat
poi.dat
profiles.dat
ServerLineIndex.dat
ServerNameIndex.dat
tables.dat
tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat
USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-539.meta
USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-539.meta.dct
USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.pna

I opened the 'Internal' icon representing the TT. I control clicked on the trash can. Nothing in it. I had already emptied the trash from the find. I opened the TT on the desktop, just in case there's an obvious trash can on it. Didn't find one. The TT has 1.96 gigs available. Room I think for maps. But the updating procedure stops before installing maps because it says there isn't room on the temporary drive. There is. 9 gigs.

This is what my TT currently has on it.

art
autorun.inf
bin
bootloaderversion.txt
connect2internetdb.ver
contacts
cp
currentmap.dat
data_im2.chk
data_is2.chk
data_lim.chk
data_lis.chk
data_ra.chk
data_sp.chk
data_ts.chk
data.chk
defaultsettings.ini
ephem
gns
home images
install.bif
InstallTomTomHOME.exe
itn
licences
logging
LoquendoTTS
lowbatteryw.bmp
mctx.dat
photos
photos wide
PNDNavigator
program
script
settings.dat
signpost_li.txt
sounds
statdata
suspendw.bmp
TomTom HOME Install.app
TomTom-Cfg
tomtom.ico
ttgo.bif
tthome.bif
ttnavigator.bif
ttsystem
UserPatch.dat

And if you use Finder to try to copy the backed up USA_C_M folder to the unit???

I'm copying the folder now. Then I found this in my backup folder call 'complete.'

Can I just physically drag and drop this copy back to TT? I'm sorry, while I get (understand) Mac file management, I thought I had to use the backup/restore 'home' app to change the contents of the TT internal disk. Thanks.

complete
program
TomTom_application_for_Car_and_Motor_Navigation-1
TomTom_application_for_Car_and_Motor_Navigation
map
USA__Canada___Mexico-2
USA__Canada___Mexico-1
USA__Canada___Mexico
safetycamera
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge-7
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge-6
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge-5
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge-4
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge-3
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge-2
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge-1
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge
ephemeris
QuickGPSfix
phonedb
Phone_connection_settings
carsymbol
Nissan_Rogue_Grey
Susan_EnglishUs.zip
Susan_EnglishUs.toc
Navigator.zip
Navigator.toc
YellowCar.bmp
SUV.bmp
SportsCar.bmp
SportsCabrio.bmp
RedCar.bmp
RaceCar.bmp
Oldtimer.bmp
GreyCar.bmp
FinnedCar.bmp
FamilyCar.bmp
ClassCar.bmp
BlueCar.bmp
-default.bmp

I copied the map. Used 'Home' to unmount TT, Waited for it to reboot. For just a second, I saw a red screen and caught the message "Problem with map..." before it moved on to 'connect to computer?' screen.

Here's the message. I ejected TT from the computer using 'home' and rebooted TT. The message is "Problem with map. You cannot use this map on this device: USA_Canad_and_Mexico_P-539" Then TT took me a the next page: Select a map: USA Canada and Meixco P. I chose that and the same 'problem with map' dialogue box returned and for a second a blue box containing "switiching to map' presented. Then went away.

Connect to Home. Manage my Device-->Items on Device, maps, what does it say? And application, what does it say (what version?)

Items on computer-->maps, what shows there? How about application?

Hokay. Jesus from TT guided me through what was the simplest and yet most drastic resolution. In short. 1) In Home, I deleted/removed all items from TT and computer. 2) I shut down TT. 3) I rebooted my computer. 4) I connected TT to the computer (use a cable, not wireless). 5) I started TT. 6) And then went through the updating process. This required reinstalling voice, car logo art, etc. But it works. New map. Updates all. Then I backed it all up to a new folder with today's date. I made that folder through the 'preferences' option under ToTo Home>Preferences>Folder, where I pointed the application to the new folder in all four choices shown. Then I looked for all the older back-up folders I had and trashed them. This process is for Macintosh.

Good move on the backup. Always do a full backup as you have just done PRIOR to any other major updates down the road (map or firmware). Makes it a real piece of cake to recover from issues like this down the road.

Ask a Question