device does not allow map install-says not enough space,but there IS space

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
Can anyone help me? I want to install a map of the USA onto my device (GO730),but it says that there is not enough space.However-there IS enough space-I only have about 40mb of data on the device.The "bar" at the bottom however says that I have aabout 1600MB on the device which is clearly wrong.
How can I get the USA map downloaded?
TOMTOM customer service aren't answering (since Sunday)
Help please!!!!!!!

By any chance are you running a Mac computer with Home? If so, with the device connected, empty your system trash on the Mac. If not, please advise what OS you are using and which 'bar' you are reading that advises 1600MB remaining.

Can anyone help me? I want to install a map of the USA onto my device (GO730),but it says that there is not enough space.However-there IS enough space-I only have about 40mb of data on the device.The "bar" at the bottom however says that I have aabout 1600MB on the device which is clearly wrong.
How can I get the USA map downloaded?
TOMTOM customer service aren't answering (since Sunday)
Help please!!!!!!!
By any chance are you running a Mac computer with Home? If so, with the device connected, empty your system trash on the Mac. If not, please advise what OS you are using and which 'bar' you are reading that advises 1600MB remaining.

Thanks for your reply.No I am not using a MAC,I am using Windows Vista. The "bar" I refer to is the line at the bottom of the TOMTOM Home screen which shows the space I have filled,and the empty space for the device.This shows that the device memory is 1960MB,and that I have 1894mb installed-shown by the grey shaded line.
However,the actual data stored is only less than 260mb-the items are listed.This should allow enough space for the USA map to be added to the device,but it won't let me download it as I ma being told that I only have 66mb available!
Any advice would be appreciated

First, if your maps are still on the device, there's a whole lot more than 260MB being used.

OK. Let's ignore Home for just a moment and double check the actual numbers. Using Vista, navigate to your 730 as if it was a disk drive. See what Vista reports for available memory on the device. I suspect what Home is reporting is that only 66MB would remain with the new map installation, and TomTom always leaves a little spare memory as 'untouchable' because it wants to be sure there is room to load a new firmware update onto the unit and check it before it installs it fully into the device's operating memory area. It will reserve about 100MB for this purpose.

Now, just in case we need to clear a little space to make TomTom happy tell us what 'options' you may have on the device. Are there any voices you do not use, or extra *.jpg images, etc. If I'm understanding what's happening, we may need to free up about 40MB of space (which added to 66MB would get us over 100).

Thanks again.If I understand you correctly,this is what I have done. Gone into "COMPUTER "-"DEVICES WITH REMOVABLE STORAGE "-"INTERNAL K" -"PROPERTIES" -"GENERAL".
That shows a "pie chart" that says that there is 1.84GB Used,and 61.2 MB free.
Opening up the Internal K file shows a whole list of different items,some logos,and it says a map of the USA which is 2GB in size.
Actually on the device according to TOMTOM Home there is a UK map of 208MB,and TOMTOM Applications of 38.7MB.After that everyhting else is described as "tiny".
What next?

OK. 1.84GB used and 61.2GB free indicates your unit is fully populated with all of the files.

Now I'm going to have to peek at your IP address, because it sounds like you have both US and UK maps installed.
I see you are in Leeds somewhere, and now we've gotten to the crux of the matter. Your unit probably does NOT any longer have enough internal memory for both US and UK maps concurrently. I assume you were aware that both maps were installed?

In your position, I'd pick up an SD card for that unit and move the maps (both US and UK) to the card. We can assist you in doing so. We recommend a 4GB Class 6 card for this purpose. Cheap and easy... if your firmware is up to date. Please advise firmware version on your unit and we'll get you on the road toward having the luxury of some memory to work with.

Thanks again.If I understand you correctly,this is what I have done. Gone into "COMPUTER "-"DEVICES WITH REMOVABLE STORAGE "-"INTERNAL K" -"PROPERTIES" -"GENERAL".
That shows a "pie chart" that says that there is 1.84GB Used,and 61.2 MB free.
Opening up the Internal K file shows a whole list of different items,some logos,and it says a map of the USA which is 2GB in size.
Actually on the device according to TOMTOM Home there is a UK map of 208MB,and TOMTOM Applications of 38.7MB.After that everyhting else is described as "tiny".
What next?

On main view, lower right corner on the satellite icon. Should bring up 8.xxx or 9.xxx firmware version.

Here's a bonus for you. Save this file (the *.bmp version, not the visible *.jpg version here) in the root of your unit if you like when we're done!

Attachments

• splashw.bmp
    382.6 KB · Views: 703
  • Blackadder.jpg
    Blackadder.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 611
You bet, so you're good to go with an SD card. As noted, you'll want a 4GB card, Class 6 or better, though more than Class 6 is overkill if it matters to the price. Once you have that in hand, we'll steer the movement of the map folders from the unit to the SD card. Many of us here keep all but the maps in internal, and all of our maps on SD, so you'll be in good company.

Thanks-where do i get the SD card from? I go to the USA on Saturday-if I don't get one here in the UK,can I buy one when I am there that will be compatible with a device that I bought here in the UK?
I should add that the USA map is NOT on the device,only the UK and Ireland map is there.
I don't want to take that off as it says that removing all the maps may adversely affect the device's functions, I have actually switched these maps a few times in the past couple of years and always had this problem,but TOMTOM Cust services have always helped with a "live" e-mail conversation.However this year they haven't replied.

Heck, anywhere will do for the SD card.

No, don't take any maps off your unit right now. We'll get to that.

But let's back up just a minute. Earlier you said that "Opening up the Internal K file shows a whole list of different items,some logos,and it says a map of the USA which is 2GB in size." The North_America_2GB (or USA_Canada as they're calling it these days) would be a North American map, and would go a VERY long way towards explaining where all of your memory has gone.

Please look into that folder one more time, and give me the exact folder name. If it's a NAM map folder, the content of that folder will be roughly 1.8GB in size. Your UK/ROI map set will be a great deal smaller.

Thanks Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.The file in Internal K is "North_America_2GB." When I bought this map a few years ago,it fitted in the device,as long as the UK map wasn't also on there.For a couple years I was able to transfer one map off and one on with no trouble but the last 2 years I have had this same problem-i.e there is only limited data on the device,but it still won't let me download the USA map.
To be honest I am reluctant to spend £20($30) on a memory card when I have already paid for a map that used to fit on OK.
Is there another solution?
Sorry but it's 11.00 p.m. here now and I'm off to bed-I'll pick this up again tomorrow,late morning UK time
Good night!

Understand the time issue.

To reiterate, it's not possible that both maps will coexist in internal memory these days (both map sets have grown), and I think you discovered this some time back.

The ONLY ways to update the North_America_2GB map at this point is to strip your unit down to the absolute bare essentials or obtain an SD card. Please advise one more time .. is your UK/ROI map ALSO present on your unit at this time? With an SD card, you can keep both maps sets on the unit at the same time. As for price, I know they stick it to you a bit in the UK for electronics gear, but £20($30)? Should be more on the order of £7. See here for a fairly typical example of a card that will solve this nicely >>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-F...2240715-0439037?ie=UTF8&qid=1388619136&sr=8-1

Before we begin in earnest, please make a backup of your unit with this procedure that we recommend >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/
With a full backup of your unit, there's no chance of getting into any ditches that aren't easily recoverable. Then we can decide where we're going with this.

Thanks-where do i get the SD card from? I go to the USA on Saturday-if I don't get one here in the UK,can I buy one when I am there that will be compatible with a device that I bought here in the UK?
Yes, the SD cards sold in the US are the same as the SD cards sold in the UK, as long as they are both of the same type. There are cards that are "plain" SD and there are cards that are "SD HC". I do not have a GO720 myself, but I think that you will want a "SD HC" card- which is good, because a plain SD card is much harder to find these days in 4GB size. Canderson can confirm whether or not I am correct in believing that you need a SD HC card. (As he said, the price in the US should be $10 or less.)

- Tom -

I'm not sure where you saw a price of £20 for an SD card!

I just looked on Amazon.co.uk (not the cheapest place by any means!) and the first two 4GB SDHC cards listed were £4.85 and £3.33. Both were good brands (SanDisk and Kingston).

A new SD card would be by far your simplest solution.

Yes - 4GB SD cards (those that aren't actually SDHC) are scarce and non-standard at best. The reason I asked about the OP's firmware level was to be sure he was at 8.302 or beyond, and that a now very ordinary 4GB SDHC card would work for him.

Ask a Question