Updated and now no maps work, HELP

Don't try to reinstall your backup firmware! We're trying to get Home to provide you with fresh firmware from TomTom's server if possible. It make take a couple of iterations to get you all the way - incrementally - back to 9.430.

Well, after 4 upadtes on the firmware we are back up to,

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom GO 920
DeviceVersionHW=GO 920
DeviceSerialNumber=M87108H01351
DeviceUniqueID=AK8AY ASATS
RamDiskVersion=20120321
BootLoaderVersion=55120
LinuxVersion=842337
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9430
ApplicationVersion=890926.1
UserLanguage=English US
(e-mail address removed)
LastConnectionTime=Never
GPSFirmwareVersion=GSW3.2.4TT_3.1.00.12-C35B1.02
BuiltInColorScheme0=Belgica
BuiltInColorScheme1=Brittanica
BuiltInColorScheme2=America
BuiltInColorScheme3=Germanica
BuiltInColorScheme4=Australia
BuiltInColorScheme5=Deuteranopia
BuiltInColorScheme6=Greys
BuiltInColorScheme7=Antarctica
BuiltInColorScheme8=Africa
BuiltInColorScheme9=Astra
BuiltInColorScheme10=Asia
BuiltInColorScheme11=Brasilia
BuiltInColorScheme12=Concordia
BuiltInColorScheme13=NewAnglia
CurrentColorSchemeBuiltIn=11
CurrentVoiceInfo=Kate
CurrentMap=
CurrentMapVersion=0.0
Traffic=N
CurrentFuelpricesType=
CurrentFuelpricesTypeString=
CurrentFuelpricesLastFullUpdate=
ValueRatio=A0LMyxIJ6OZvXy9s4g==
Features=PlusDownloadDynamic,PlusDownloadGeneral,PlusDownloadMap,PlusDownloadPOI,PlusDownloadScheme,PlusDownloadUpgrade,PlusDownloadVoice,PlusDownloadRingTone,PlusMessageNotification,PlusPushChannel,PlusTraffic,PlusOrRDSTMCTraffic,PlusWeather,PlusEphemeris,PlusSafetyCamerasDynamic,PlusRoadConditions,PlusSafetyCamerasStatic,PlusFuelPrices,HDTraffic,PlusTripReporting,HidRemote,HomeBackup,GPRSEngine,VoiceRecording,TTS,TTSCompressed,MP3,IPOD,MusicPlayer,PhotoViewer,PhotoJPGViewer,PhotoBMPViewer,VoiceBrowser,LinkVolumeToNoise,MapShare,Newyork,Itinerary,Caymann,Durham,Leeway,Handsfree,PhoneFeatures,CarSymbol,RichPOI,FrequentDestinations,PermanentMapCfg,RDSTMC,Prague,Bluetooth,SDSlot,InternalFlash,Microphone,ExternalModem,SMSSupported,SettingsOverride,SDK,USBAccessories,HTTPActivation,MultipleMaps,Traffic,MapOverlays,Documents,WarningSounds,ArrivalSounds,DangerZonesCameras
UnsupportedFeatures=PlusForceMessageNotification,PlusBuddies,PlusFuelPriceTimestamp,Hercules,HerculesTraffic,Oxford,TrackMe,OnDevicePayments,ASR,ASRCnC,TTSUncompressed,TTSLoquendo700,TTSNuance51,Games,LinkVolumeToSpeed,ZeroVolumeSupported,CaymannAlwaysOn,MAC,DepartureAdvisor,RouteInfoBackToSummary,VehicleProfile,MapShareVehicleProfile,3DCarModels,TextureRendering,ExtraSounds,UserSkin,InternalModem,HardDisk,Keyboard,SupportKeyControl,SupportGetAMap,Work,WorkEnabled,WorkPromotion,WorkTuria,WorkMurcia,WorkBremen,WorkUsePlus,WorkStartUpPromotion,LiveServices,SimpleMapBrowserButtonBar,AltDefaultCarSymbol
SupportedPatchTypes=3F
NrSupportedErrorTypes=138
UserPatchDatVersion=102
CompressedPatchVersion=200
MapServerPatchDatVersion=105
DeletedPoiDatVersion=200
ServerLineIndexDatVersion=102
ServerNameIndexDatVersion=102
MapShareSupportedProviders=243
CharacterSet=TTU
VehicleBrand=
VehicleModel=
VehicleOptions=

BUT, copying the map folders from the hard drive to the 920 DO NOT WORKY.

I guess I have no alternative but to repurchase a new map and hope it works, right?
Seems like a "predetermined crock" when it was TomTom's updates that screwed it all up to begin with.

Charles

Nothing predetermined about it ... quite a few of us with 720 and 920 dual mapped units have upgraded without the kind of brain damage that your unit is causing for you. Let's be sure that last step was correct. You copied the two (USA/Canada and Europe) map folders directly to the root of the 920, correct?

What's bothersome is that in the ttgo.bif file, it shows no map selected even though you have maps available. Clearly, the device still isn't seeing them.
CurrentMap=

Last thing I can imagine... we have heard on occasion that there is some interaction between the content of the folder called "maps" on a unit and how it impacts how the unit manages map inventory. By rights, there should be two *.tlv files in that folder. What do you see there?

There's no reason you should be forced into buying new maps here, and I'm not convinced they would work in any case. I'd hate to toss this one to TomTom tech support, that's for sure.

That could have been the whole problem, I see no "maps" folder on either the Backup01 folder that Home created or the Explorer backup copy I made before wiping out and starting over. Somehow, I must have lost that maps folder from the root of the 920Go unit when the updates were done.

Charles

Search high and low for files ending in *.tlv on both your unit and in the MyDocuments/TomTom area of your PC. We are looking for one that is associated with any of your 3 maps.

Sorry, but I'm fairly convinced this "maps" folder issue is a red herring.

I've just checked my backups for my old Go720 (same vintage as your 920 but admitedly only with Europe mapping) and there are thirteen backups ranging from my "day one / straight out of the box" one from August 2007up to the most recent of March 2010, and not one of them has a "maps" folder at all.

Certainly no .tlv file was required for the Europe maps on those models. America may be different I suppose, but I doubt it if the OP can't find one.

-------------------

Secondly, I think the "CurrentMap=" line in the ttgo.bif file only shows the currently selected map. If no map has been selected since the software reinstall, then probably it will be blank.

----------------------

Unfortunately I don't have many ideas for where to go next.
It might be worth trying the ClearFlash tool, which has been know to help in some "cannot activate maps" problems, but not this one AFAIK.

You can download it from TomTom here. Some people suggest running it three times, I don't know why, but it will do no harm to try it.
Don't expect to see much happening when you run it.

Secondly, I think the "CurrentMap=" line in the ttgo.bif file only shows the currently selected map. If no map has been selected since the software reinstall, then probably it will be blank.
What it does do is confirm that there was no selected map leftover in the user config area, so the problem is at it appears. I would actually have been more concerned if one had shown up!

So, I should try it?

I have made an explorer backup of the way it is now, so I suppose the worst that could happen would be to clear the 920 again and copy/paste the backup again....

What does AFAIK mean?

What does AFAIK mean?

Do you see an thin line underneath it? (put there by the forum software). If so, hover your mouse over the text and it will tell you in a little pop-up box! (Neat eh?)

If not, it just means "as far as I know..."

Try calling CS at 866-486-6866. They can see what maps should be assigned to your account.

Update, after talking to Customer Support, they convinced me to buy a new unit rather than just a map.

My question is this, I could not get the Lifetime Maps on the unit I wanted (GO 630), and see where I can get one map update within the 30 days after I turn the new unit on. When is the new map scheduled to come out? When was the last one dated?

Charles

The last one (890) was released on May 19th, I think. The next one (895) will be released sometime in mid-August onward.

Bottom line: if you were to get one now, no point trying to wait out the 30 days. There will not be a release in mid July.

Well guys, after spending darn near a month with TomTom on the phone and getting a go 630 & a Go 2450 in here and returning both I am back to square 0.5!

I was going to go back and erase all files on the go 920 and go thru the steps for loading the four different firmwares to get to where I could try buying the latest map and now this time after firmware 7.480 the PC will not recognize the unit at all, so I am unable to get to the next step to go all the way to 9.430 to download a map!

Is there any way to erase the software back to zilch and try again? I know I did this once, but I am really stumped this time.

Charles

Ask a Question