Updated POIs?

Hello,

I just recently purchased a recertified GO720 from buy.com and had a question about maps/POIs. The map version that my GO720 came with is v710.1584. I know that a newer map version is out but from what I can tell, I'd need to drop $99 to update. I'm not necessarily worried about the map version, but a friend just borrowed my 720 for a trip on the east coast and found the POIs to be quite out of date. Question is, if I purchased the latest maps, do I also get updated POIs? I know there's no guarantee the POIs will be perfect for every location, but if they aren't even included in new maps, I don't think I'll bother updating.

Thanks!

How long ago did you purchase the unit? It it was within 30 days, you can receive a free map update from TomTom.

Apparently if you purchase a "recertified" unit, the 30 day thing doesn't apply. At least that's what I was told.

The best answer is to call TomTom support.
They will require you to scan your receipt. I sent them my Costco online receipt.

How large are the two files poi.dat and crpoi.dat on your unit's maps.

On the new map NA 715 they're about 165 megs combined.

however on one of the earlier map sets these two files total 445 megs, a far larger file that contains obviously many many more pois. No more accurate mind you, just lots more of them.

Many of us here were able to download this poi set some time ago. apparently this larger set came with another NA map version that was about two gigs total. the NA map I had was about 1.4 gigs or so. someone posted a link to the larger poi set and I downloaded it. I'm now very satisfied with the NA map.

anyway, what I'm trying to say is if you haven't already got this larger poi file, do so and you'll then have the best that is available. I'd say tomtom uses two different poi sets which they include with various maps according to the storage capacity of the particular unit.

From my experience and several map upgrades since I got my unit, you don't see much if any usable difference in a new map. I won't spend anything more on newer maps.

IMHO the NA version is the best available at the moment especially when equipped with the larger poi file. I have 710 and wouldn't even consider going to 715. I doubt I'd see anything different in my area over the 710 version.

Flyer, where can one find the larger POI files? I also use 7.10 maps. Tomtom released 7.15 about 2 weeks after I purchased the 7.10 maps. I called to see if there was a discount for the new maps. They suggested staying with 7.10 since 7.15 was intended to fix issues with Florida. They said I would the same benefits from Mapshare with 7.10.

Ask a Question