Unsimplified North_America map on 730

Hi all,

I bought a refurbished GO 730 a year ago, knowing that I would have to pay for a new map, but I have still not bought an update because of my frustration over how to get the full unsimplified North America map(to use on 4GB SD card). Customer support insists that the North America 2G has no more POIs than the unsimplified map, and got quite rude with me and unhelpful when I said that forums gave strong evidence to the contrary. They insisted that the only reason the 9xx series had more POIs was because they also include Europe. All I had wanted was to find out what would be involved in enabling me to buy and use the larger unsimplified map on a 4GB SD card.

Can anyone really verify from their own direct experience that the "unsimplified" North America map really comes with a larger database of POIs than does the North America 2G map?

Has anyone figured out how to buy the full North America map and update service and use it on a GO 730 without also owning a GO 9xx? TomTom HOME simply won't let me.

Failing being able to legitimately buy the unsimplified NA map, does anyone know how I can get recent copies of the necessary POI files(I presume poi.dat, crpoi.dat, and brand/*) to get the larger set of POIs?

Thanks, Ian

Thanks dhn! I've downloaded them fine.

I also went ahead and bought the NA 2G and subscription, which looks to me to have been a complete waste of money, but that's a separate thread....

In fact, the subscription isn't a waste of time (or money) if the quarterly updates show improvements in the areas one travels.

And, in fact, for both of us (Canucks, eh?) the 845 map has significant improvements for Canadian roads (over 42,000 miles of them, if you believe TT). Including many more instances of Advanced Lane Guidance and Reality View.

Can anyone really verify from their own direct experience that the "unsimplified" North America map really comes with a larger database of POIs than does the North America 2G map?

I have a 720 with the NA_2GB map and a 930 with the full NA map. All the files in both maps are just about the exact same size (99% of each other), with the exception of the POI files. The NA_2GB map has files that are about 50% the size of the North America map. And from experience the POI on NA_2GB is severely limited.

So I'm pretty confident that the POI is the primary difference in the maps.

Ask a Question