Difference between modified to fit and unsimplified map ver.?

TomTom Model(s)
TT 740 TM LIVE
What is the difference between modified to fit devices with 2GB memory and unsimplified map versions?

If I buy a micro sd card for my TT740 and add another 8gig's of space, will I be able to DL the unsimplified map ver.?

thanks,

The unsimplified usually has more poi data and more non navigation information about the maps (more segments to a road to make it look curvier, etc).

If you copy your existing map to the 8gb sdhc card and select that when you connect to Home, my understanding is that you'll be offered the complete map.

I will, i ordered my 8 Gig Class 6 micro sd card and it should be here in a couple days.

The unsimplified map won't be offered to American 740's no matter what. I put 100% of my files on an external 8GB SD card (to save on wear and tear) and HOME still give me the unsimplified map.

I have "North America" (unsimplified) on my 930 and "North America 2GB on my 740.

The only difference I've ever seen is the "North America" (unsimplified) has much better POI files: the same high-end POI available in the ONE/EASE/XL/XXL IQroutes models.

It's not that big a deal on my 740 since I have LIVE services, and Google POI is much better than any of the onboard POI systems.

After reading the posts above I tried the same thing. I moved my maps to an 8GB micro SD card and tried to update via Home, and was only offered the 2GB maps.

Before downloading, I called TT support to see if I could get my map subscription changed to the full North America maps. I explained to the rep that I wanted the full version because of the larger POI database. He actually told me that the POI databases are basically the same. If by "basically" he means their database structure is the same, then he's correct. But I didn't feel like arguing with him.

As mvl said, the Google Search in LIVE services kind of negates the diifferences in the internal POI database. The only think I find lacking here is the ability to do a Google Search along my route. On my recent trip to mvl's home turf, searching along my route became an essential tool each time one of my kids said, "Dad, I have to go..."

The only difference I've ever seen is the "North America" (unsimplified) has much better POI files: the same high-end POI available in the ONE/EASE/XL/XXL IQroutes models.

Seems like they would offer it on the higher end models, since they cost more and are supposed to be more feature rich.

I'm not particularly impressed with Google. Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding outdated stuff such as restaurants that have been closed for over a year. And it does absolutely no good when doing a "find along route".

One thing you can try. If you have a subscription to the North America 2GB map, see if you can sweet talk TT phone support into giving you either a 1-time download or a parallel subscription to the "USA" map.

The USA map is unsimplified, so it should have the full POI set. And it'll easily fit alongside a North_America_2gb map on a 4bg SDHC card or larger.

If he gets the "one time" shot, he'll have to be careful to isolate a copy of those POI files somewhere so that they don't get overwritten during the next map update.

Something else that, in retrospect, a person should beware of. When I've picked up a copy of Pedro's larger POI files the last couple of times (Pedro, you out there? Need them for 855!), I've seen some weirdness with regard to the names of fuel stations, etc. I have a suspicion that the "brands" keys don't all mate up number-wise between the larger and smaller POI sets, and that the "brands" folder needs to accompany the crpoi.dat and poi.dat files to keep the associations correct.

Ask a Question