Unable to tap on POI for info when it appears on map.

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE 3rd Edition
New TT1 3rd Ed. user here.

Today, while driving, I saw some POIs appear on the map. I tried to tap on them, when they appear, so that I can get info (e.g., gas station name, etc.)
However, tapping on them brings me to the Main Menu screen instead of displaying info on the POI. So, I assume that either a) you can't do that, or b) there is some menu item to allow that.

I've search the forum here, but just can't seem to find info on this, although I did read someone else mentioning they were having the same issue in a "side note" they wrote on another thread.

If we can't tap on the POI to provide info it shows up on the map, is there a way to make the POIs list what they are on the map as we drive by
them?

(Note that a couple of minutes ago, I added the Manage POIs menu to the TT1 and have set it to warn me as I approach, say, a gas station. Will test that later. However, I didn't see an option that allows us to have the POI display its name as we pass by it.)

Thanks in advance!

Kalel

Today, while driving, I saw some POIs appear on the map. I tried to tap on them, when they appear, so that I can get info (e.g., gas station name, etc.)
However, tapping on them brings me to the Main Menu screen instead of displaying info on the POI. So, I assume that either a) you can't do that, or b) there is some menu item to allow that.

I've search the forum here, but just can't seem to find info on this, although I did read someone else mentioning they were having the same issue in a "side note" they wrote on another thread.

If we can't tap on the POI to provide info it shows up on the map, is there a way to make the POIs list what they are on the map as we drive by
them?

(Note that a couple of minutes ago, I added the Manage POIs menu to the TT1 and have set it to warn me as I approach, say, a gas station. Will test that later. However, I didn't see an option that allows us to have the POI display its name as we pass by it.)

Thanks in advance!

Kalel
I have a 510 but it should be similar. When you tap the screen twice a "browse map" icon should appear. Tap this icon then tap the blue cursor arrow in the upper right hand corner. This will show your position on the map. At this point you can tap the poi icons to get info!!

I have a 510 but it should be similar. When you tap the screen twice a "browse map" icon should appear. Tap this icon then tap the blue cursor arrow in the upper right hand corner. This will show your position on the map. At this point you can tap the poi icons to get info!!

Thanks Jim. My TT1's situation is a bit different, but not by much.

When I've got the moving map (i.e., I'm driving), and I tap on the map twice, (or just once for that matter), I get the Main Menu 1 of 2 page. I then have to hit the Right Blue Arrow to get to page 2 of the menu. On that page is the Browse Map, and at that point, I can follow your suggestion, which does ultimately work. However I still had to zoom in a bit, so that I could tap the icon, and not a nearby street, which seems to easily happen. It was just lots of stops to do just to see what the POI was that was on my driving-mode screen.

Definitely not something to do with traffic behind you while you're at a stop sign or quick traffic light. And not while driving either. Was hoping there'd be an easier way. Logically, when you see the POI icon show up on the screen, you just want to tap it and get the info overlaid over the icon. But it doesn't sound like that's possible.

So, is there a way to have it actually list all visible POI info on the screen while in driving mode?

Kalel

showing all POIs

Yes, you can show all POIs on your driving screen. Go to change preferences, then show poi on map. check the check box of all of the POIs you want to see, and you will see them in your driving screen.

You are correct, in that you cannot tap a POI on the main navigation screen. The best thing to do, is install custom POI's such as McDonalds that way when you see it on the main navigation, you see the custom icon (the golden arches).

You are correct, in that you cannot tap a POI on the main navigation screen. The best thing to do, is install custom POI's such as McDonalds that way when you see it on the main navigation, you see the custom icon (the golden arches).

Sounds like I won't be able to just tap on what I see in the area without stopping first to go browse maps.

But, Digital Flex, your idea is really cool. That may help!

Going to search for how to do that. Forum probably has that somewhere. So, for example, if I set up a custom POI for, say, Exxon, then any Exxon station would show up with the custom icon? Even if it's "Ralph's Repair Exxon"? Just as long as the string I want the icon to be is somewhere in the POI name?

Or is it that I can only have the one specific Exxon (Ralph's) have a custom icon for when I pass just by that specific shop?

Thanks for all the great info, everyone.

Kalel.

Follow this thread here to install POI's - https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=1804

Basically what you want to do here is identify what POI is displaying on your navigation screen. Currently you have generic icons for Restaurant, Banks, Stores, etc and when you see those icons you don't really know what Restaurant, Bank, or Store it is.

Installing POI's creates its own category just like Restaurant, Banks, or Stores but you can make it more specific and have a custom picture to identify it.

I think when you install the some POI's you'll understand better. Let me know if you have problems.

Follow this thread here to install POI's - https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=1804

Basically what you want to do here is identify what POI is displaying on your navigation screen. Currently you have generic icons for Restaurant, Banks, Stores, etc and when you see those icons you don't really know what Restaurant, Bank, or Store it is.

Installing POI's creates its own category just like Restaurant, Banks, or Stores but you can make it more specific and have a custom picture to identify it.

I think when you install the some POI's you'll understand better. Let me know if you have problems.

Will do! Thanks a bunch!

Kalel

Ask a Question