Unable to retriev traffic/weather data...

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL & GO 740 LIVE
I am currently experiencing an odd issue with my GO 630.

After encountering the "auto reboot after shutdown" problem last night it took me several hours to get my unit working again. When I finally "fixed" it I had traffic and weather service back. Since I've been wanting to get the fuel service option for a while I went ahead and installed it last night. And this is were my problems began...

When I try to access any of my Plus Services, the TomTom sends out data through my BlackBerry 8320. The BB has a visual indicator (two small arrows in the upper right corner of the BB screen), which tells you whether or not data is being send/received. These two little arrows are visible while the TomTom is trying to connect but I don't get any traffic or weather data onto the TomTom.

I tried everything from deleting the phone, to a soft and factory reset. Nothing has helped. The strange thing is that when I delete the phone and then set it up again, I fly through the data setup process without any problems. When I set up my TomTom account after the factory reset, the data was sent to the TomTom server and was accepted. It doesn't appear to be a problem on my side.

I've never had this happen before. What usually happened was when I encountered the "auto reboot after shutdown" issue I wouldn't be able to connect at all (no arrows on the BlackBerry). Now I get the arrows but no results on the TomTom.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue and has an idea what I can do to fix it? As I mentioned in my introductory post, I heavily rely on the traffic information when I drive to and from work. I live in the Chicago area and have several options to get to work and home. Usually one of these options is always backed up and I rely on the traffic data to let me know which one it is, so I can select another route to get to work or home on time. Before I had traffic service my 30 mile commute took anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. (The longest ever was 4.5 hours in the winter). Since getting the TomTom the longest it ever took me was 50 minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

I did call customer support as you had suggested and they told me to remove and then reinstall the current application. Well, it seems to have helped it for now as I have both weather and traffic data again. Now it's probably just a matter of time until it goes out again. I love my TomTom but the Plus Service sometimes can be a real paint in the behind.

Unfortunately, you aren't the first to make that observation .... nor the last, I suspect.

I have the EXACT problem with my 8320 on T-Mo. Strange thing is that if I use my personal cell to tether, pull a traffic or weather report, and then switch to the Crackberry it will work. It's almost like if the TT reboots the 'berry/T-Mo combination can't get that initial connect.

I finally broke down and purchased a friend's old Verizon Razr V3m, hacked it, and am now reliably connected over EVDO. I have prepaid service through PagePlus and traffic to/from work costs me about $.10/day (yes, 10 cents).

I have the EXACT problem with my 8320 on T-Mo. Strange thing is that if I use my personal cell to tether, pull a traffic or weather report, and then switch to the Crackberry it will work. It's almost like if the TT reboots the 'berry/T-Mo combination can't get that initial connect.

I finally broke down and purchased a friend's old Verizon Razr V3m, hacked it, and am now reliably connected over EVDO. I have prepaid service through PagePlus and traffic to/from work costs me about $.10/day (yes, 10 cents).

Interesting... I have an old Razr laying around somewhere. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

This was the first time I experienced this issue though. Before that my connection would only stop working when the TomTom started to reset itself after shutting down.

Im having a plus outage now too. It worked fine this morning so i think its a tomtom problem.

Im having a plus outage now too. It worked fine this morning so i think its a tomtom problem.

I just had an outage too. It worked fine on my way to work this morning (thank God, it saved me from sitting in traffic for over an hour).

Unlike previously, the TomTom would try to connect but shortly after the message "can't connect, check your data connection" (or similar) would appear. So I knew it was a different problem. Data was still being exchanged. I removed the phone and deleted the BT connection on the BlackBerry and then repeated the BT setup as well as the data setup. Now it works again.

Why? I have no idea... :confused:

I was in the car from 1:00 to 1:30 eastern and got the same "can't connect, check your data connection" (or similar).message. I had no problem browsing the web when having my palm bluetooth to my phone, so I doubt it's my data plan.

When I got back into the car at 3:30 pm, everything worked fine again.

So it seems it was a temporary outage, probably fixed as you were spending time unpairing/repairing.

I was in the car from 1:00 to 1:30 eastern and got the same "can't connect, check your data connection" (or similar).message. I had no problem browsing the web when having my palm bluetooth to my phone, so I doubt it's my data plan.

When I got back into the car at 3:30 pm, everything worked fine again.

So it seems it was a temporary outage, probably fixed as you were spending time unpairing/repairing.

Must have been an outage then. Mine happened around the same time frame, between 11:45 am and 12:15 pm Central time. It worked again at around 12:45 pm.

At about the same time as you were experiencing the problems, Brits were reporting a loss of connection as well to their plus services.

Is there a central location where information regarding outages is kept? Perhaps somewhere here in the forum? It would be nice to be able to go somewhere and check to see if anyone else is reporting outages.

We aren't affiliated with TomTom so aren't a repository of information when their servers go down as such. I guess if you log in here and start noticing other posters saying they're having problems, that may be one indication.

You can't even go to TT's official site and see any sort of alert when they are having server problems.

We aren't affiliated with TomTom so aren't a repository of information when their servers go down as such. I guess if you log in here and start noticing other posters saying they're having problems, that may be one indication.

You can't even go to TT's official site and see any sort of alert when they are having server problems.

I kind of figured that there wouldn't be any official information from TomTom available.

What I was wondering is if there's a thread or sticky in this forum or perhaps somewhere else, where users compile and share that sort of information.

Ask a Question