Unable to recalculate route XL340TM

TomTom Model(s)
XL340TM app 9.510 map v910
Hello,

I commute from San Francisco to Oakland for work and even though I know the way, I use my TomTom to recalculate routes based on traffic. The normal route is via the Oakland Bay Bridge even if traffic is heavy. The San Mateo bridge adds about 40 miles to my commute and should only be suggested in extreme traffic. The other day, the Oakland Bay Bridge was closed and I had the TomTom calculate an alternative a few times since city streets were completely jammed. It kept suggesting ways to get back on the Bay Bridge which I understand, since I believe the traffic wasn't updated to reflect the closure. My commute took 2 hours versus the normal 40 minutes. (I have no issues with this since it was due to a closure.)

My issue is that ever since that day, whenever I plan my commute, it routes me via the San Mateo Bridge. Even when I recalculate route, my TomTom keeps giving me routes to go via the San Mateo Bridge. When I approach the Oakland Bay Bridge, I see that the route I am about to follow is in magenta. I know that is the color that is indicated for the route I have chosen to avoid, but I hadn't requested to avoid any portion of the route except for the day of the Bay Bridge closure.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any possible solutions? The traffic feature on my TomTom currently has limited helpfulness since it only provides traffic on my desired route once I am on the bridge with no available off ramp. Before that, it keeps trying to turn me around and provides traffic for the San Mateo Bridge routing.

Many thanks.

(Also, my app and Home versions are up to date, I will plan on updating my profile in a few days since I wanted to get this posted while it was on my mind.)

For starters, while you post v885 in your message and v890 in your profile, the actual current map is 910 (or, at least a year more current than 890). So, if indeed you don't have 910 (and 915 is due within a couple of weeks), that may be part of the problem.

Each maqp update also included more precise IQ routing data and that may be in play here.

You can also use mapshare to block the San Mateo bridge on your unit if you don't want that to show in your routing.

In those instances where I know there's a situation for which my TomTom isn't accounting (blocked road, traffic jam, whatever), I use the "Avoid roadblock" feature as a temporary measure to force alternative routing. However, there are a few knuckleheads out there that don't understand what happens if they instead choose to "Block" a road and then share that with the community.

Anyway, at a guess, I suspect that someone may have added a Mapshare that blocks the Bay Bridge, hence the ongoing unwillingness of your unit to use it for your route. Have you attempted to delete Mapshare information received from TomTom from your unit to see if that alters the routing?

For starters, while you post v885 in your message and v890 in your profile, the actual current map is 910 (or, at least a year more current than 890). So, if indeed you don't have 910 (and 915 is due within a couple of weeks), that may be part of the problem.

Each maqp update also included more precise IQ routing data and that may be in play here.

You can also use mapshare to block the San Mateo bridge on your unit if you don't want that to show in your routing.

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I have updated my info to reflect that I do have app 9.510 and map v910. When I avoid the San Mateo Bridge, my XL directs me to take the Golden Gate Bridge which is also a longer route.

In those instances where I know there's a situation for which my TomTom isn't accounting (blocked road, traffic jam, whatever), I use the "Avoid roadblock" feature as a temporary measure to force alternative routing. However, there are a few knuckleheads out there that don't understand what happens if they instead choose to "Block" a road and then share that with the community.

Anyway, at a guess, I suspect that someone may have added a Mapshare that blocks the Bay Bridge, hence the ongoing unwillingness of your unit to use it for your route. Have you attempted to delete Mapshare information received from TomTom from your unit to see if that alters the routing?

I haven't attempted to delete Mapshare info yet, how would I go about doing that?

Also, I have a hunch that it may have more to do with the semi-permanent magenta that appears as I approach and then use the Bay Bridge. I am thinking of restoring a previous map to see if this helps.

If I'm understanding your description correctly, that magenta (usually dashed) line indicates that the road HAS been blocked by someone! Sounds every bit like an errant Map Share entry. No need to restore to a previous map.

Connect your device to get Home started. From Home

Tools / TomTom Map Share / Remove corrections .. etc

Then shut the unit down properly, re-power it, and see what the bridge looks like after that.
Afterwards...

You might want to look at your Map Share settings.
Tools / TomTom Map Share / Map Share Preferences (and set to "Strict")
Then let your unit collect Map Share info again and see whether the problem returns.

If I'm understanding your description correctly, that magenta (usually dashed) line indicates that the road HAS been blocked by someone! Sounds every bit like an errant Map Share entry. No need to restore to a previous map.

Connect your device to get Home started. From Home

Tools / TomTom Map Share / Remove corrections .. etc

Then shut the unit down properly, re-power it, and see what the bridge looks like after that.
Afterwards...

You might want to look at your Map Share settings.
Tools / TomTom Map Share / Map Share Preferences (and set to "Strict")
Then let your unit collect Map Share info again and see whether the problem returns.

Hi again,

I have a hunch that I inadvertently blocked that route (but not via Map Share) when it kept being suggested. Unfortunately I didn't know how to get rid of it. I just finished restoring a previous version and everything looks fine now. Thanks for your suggestion though. I will avoid downloading Map Share info until after I make an Explorer backup.

Thanks again.

If you used the "Block" feature, then yes, what you see is what would have happened. "Avoid roadblock" is a much better alternative. It is neither permanent nor does it 'broadcast' to the rest of the community.

FWIW, it is possible to reverse your change by using the same Map Correction method to unblock a road you have blocked.

Ask a Question