"Unable To Connect To Your Phone"

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd, GO 720
That is the error I've been periodically receiving, since I updated to the latest 8.35 NavCore. Prior to this version, all had been fine in the bluetooth department. (I've had this 720 for nearly a year.)

Now, after a couple of power-down, I lose all hands-free phone operation. It normally takes a pin reset to get it back. Very rarely, I can re-pair them from my phone's bluetooth menu, but it usually reports that the TomTom device is "out of range" (yeah, all 15" away...).

So, is anybody else experiencing this problem? :(

Delete the phone from the TomTom and delete the TomTom from the phone, reset the device with a paperclip/ pin then try pairing the devices again - Mike

I've had similar behavior since the minor update before 8.35, I think it was 8.302. My handsfree used to be flawless. Pin resets did nothing to help. TT help was of no use either. Told me the phone was incompatible, even though it had been flawless for 2 months. I am now in the process of wiping and reinstalling everything on my Go720, in the hopes that the sixth time might just work. I have nothing else to lose. Since 8.302 I have had a string of weird problems I never had before. But TT doesn't want to hear it, just offer band-aids that work some of the time. I really don't think they have a clue. I have not updated anything on the phone in that time, so I don't think that's the problem. I do think TT put out some bad code, but they are now overwhelmed by the number of Help Desk requests. I've really lost respoect for them over the past couple of months.

At this point it would be easier for them to admit the unit is trashed, and let me use my extended warranty from Square Trade to replace it. But for every ticket I open, it seems they look for the closest script and respond that way. Maybe I will try calling, though that is difficult to do from work.

unaable to connect to your phone

Both my son and I have TomToms. He has a 720 and I a 730. Ever since upgrading we are running into the same "unable to connect to your phone" issue. Removing the phone and reinstalling sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and eventually the phone is lost.

Help!!!

Updating helps for awhile

I am having this same problem. My RAZR had worked great for 6 months now I have started having this problem where eventually the phone stops connecting. The only way I have been able to get it to reconnect is to connect my 730 to the computer and do an update. Then it works for awhile.
It seems like it may have something to do with letting the TomTom power down after turning off the car rather than turning it off.
It also may happen when I turn on the TomTom after I am already talking on the phone so that the TomTom picks up the call mid call. Then the next time I boot up the GPS it does not find the phone.
I am clearly grasping at straws trying to understand this.

i have the Raza V9 and occasionally get somewhat the same problem. What has always worked with me is first do a soft reset but don't turn on the unit. Then TOTALLY turn off you cell.. Then turn on your cell and finally turn on your tomtom. It seems to always reaquire the signal and connects to the cell after doing this. Good luck

Seems to be a general problem with the 8.35 -- when I "upgraded" [ha!] my phone wouldn't work; since I've gone back to the 8.302 I've had no problems.

Weekly Occurrence

This is now a weekly occurence, on Fridays. My TomTom will lose the phone and not be able to reconnect. Removing the TomTom from the phone, the phone from the TomTom, doing a reset with the paperclip and finallly reconnecting works. I try to go back to old version on the TomTom, but the restore always fails. I seem to be able to limp along, but after this, I don't think I would buy a TomTom ever again.:(

when you update weekly, uncheck the update to latest application so you don't load the problem again

stay away from 8.35 until the fix the bug in it

This is now a weekly occurence, on Fridays. My TomTom will lose the phone and not be able to reconnect. Removing the TomTom from the phone, the phone from the TomTom, doing a reset with the paperclip and finallly reconnecting works. I try to go back to old version on the TomTom, but the restore always fails. I seem to be able to limp along, but after this, I don't think I would buy a TomTom ever again.:(

We always recommend using explorer for backups, Tomtom HOME's backup function is unreliable as you just found out.

You can manually downgrade as follows:
1) go to HOME, chose remove items, items on device, application
2) go to HOME, choose "add traffic, voices, etc", then go to "Items on my computer".
3) Click the plus next to "applications", and click info on each one until you find app 8.302 for the your device. (it will be different for the 720 vs 730). Then install that application.

If that doesn't work, let us know as there are other more involved ways of downgrading also.

I'd like to know how to manually downgrade please. I have a new 540 GO LIVE with the latest application that won't connect reliably to my Nokia E51. I've found this file - navcore_8.310.9760.go540-go740.cab. Is it the right one and how to I manually install? Can the contents of the can just be copied to the device?

I'm not sure whether the connection situation is ok using that application.

But backup your unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Expand the cab file using Winrar or equivalent and overwrite the files in the unit with those in the cab file.

So 8.302 worked for a day and a half, then it quit too. THen I reloaded 8.302 and it worked for a day and a half and quit. Tonight I tried 8.30, and it setup OK, just like the others. We'll see how long it works for.

I almost don't care which version I stick with as long as I retain IQ routes, because when I'm on the road, they really do help.

But I am getting tired of reloading and reconfiguring the GO every other day. This is not how it was , and not how it's supposed to be. I can't even use their recover from a backup. Every time I've tried, Home tells me the backup is corrupt.

Which is why we always suggest that you use Explorer, never Home, for backups and restores.

MVL just gave you another reply at the other forum, btw.

WHich is why I always do rely on Explorer backups. It just would have been nice for their sw to work.

I saw the other post, and will hold onto it and see what 8.30 does.

thanks

Just had another idea - concern. If I'm not able to get connect to Traffic to work, what would happen when I'm travelling? In other words, does IQ Routing use any traffic data gathered from GPS, or would I not even get that?

I am quickly running out of possible solutions, and wondering if I just rely on IQ Routing to do its thing what will happen? My Traffic subscription also runs out next week and if I can't get it to work, I might as well save my $$ until such time as TT comes out with a miracle fix, if that ever happens. I know I can't get credit for not being able to use the subscription for the past 4 months, but there's no sense in spending more $$ if it isn't going to work anyway. Start putting my pennies away for something that actually works.

IQ2 routing does not rely upon current traffic data as such but rather historical data uploaded by users whenever they connect to Home.

It will continue to work as advertised...........;)

We always recommend using explorer for backups, Tomtom HOME's backup function is unreliable as you just found out.

You can manually downgrade as follows:
1) go to HOME, chose remove items, items on device, application
2) go to HOME, choose "add traffic, voices, etc", then go to "Items on my computer".
3) Click the plus next to "applications", and click info on each one until you find app 8.302 for the your device. (it will be different for the 720 vs 730). Then install that application.

If that doesn't work, let us know as there are other more involved ways of downgrading also.

Hi Moderator, i performed step 1 & 2 , but i only find 8.35 in "items on my computer" at step 3. What are other ways to downgrade my application version ?

ps: my TomTom home version is 2.6.2.1586

Ask a Question