Error: Via 1535TM not connected, unable to update Maps

TomTom Model(s)
1535 and One
Purchased a Via 1535TM around first of year 2012. Was able to register it, enter activation code and download latest maps.

Unit works fine, otherwise.

Now Fast forward to May/April 2012. Try to update Maps, etc. and get error in two places: "not connected" in 1) Web Interface and in 2) MyTomTom in System Tray.

Windows XP Pro SP3. Used MyTomTom. Registered with new and different e-mail address.

Now MyTomTom is not recognizing it nor is the Web Interface. Following troubleshooting steps, unable to get it recognized. Have rebooted unit, reset it to no avail. Have held down power till I get to black and white screen that gives unit details

Researched via Google, this site and TomTom and tried to follow the steps others have posted.

Machine: Dell Latitude, Windows XP, SP3, actually tried 2 different Laptops. Have even turned off all running programs other than MyTomTom. Ran as Admin. Used CrapCleaner to clean out cookies, temp files, etc. Tried different USB ports. Deleted all USB in device manager and restarted and let them reinstall. Other devices, printers, cameras, hdd, etc. work off USB. Via1535TM powers up off USB.

Unit does not show up in Device Manage as a Network Device.

Followed steps in other posts - Rebooted Via1535TM, reset to Factory Settings, when first set up online used a different e-mail address. As said earlier, installed and used MyTomTom to originally register and update maps.

Deinstalled and reintstalled MyTomTom.

BTW - when logging into the Web Interface, it says Maps are ready and I downloaded them. They appear to be in a folder on the local computer. MyTomTom shows "New items waiting for installation".

Anything that I may have missed or could try, prior to contacting TomTom?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

When you log into myTomTom with an email address/password, do you get a screen saying 'this device not registered to the email account'??

Also, connect unit to the computer WHILE OFF and then power it on. See if the computer recognizes it then.....

When you log into myTomTom with an email address/password, do you get a screen saying 'this device not registered to the email account'??

Also, connect unit to the computer WHILE OFF and then power it on. See if the computer recognizes it then.....
=====================================================

Answer to first question is: do not get that error.

With the unit off, connected it to the computer and then powered it up. No joy.

And you are using the cable that came with the device????
As an extension to that question -have you tried with a different USB cable? I have been surprised to see how often problems with electronics have turned out to be a faulty USB cable. That has now become one of the first things I look at in situations like this - especially since it is a cheap and easy test to swap cables.

I know that you mentioned that other devices work with the same cable, but I would still try your GPS with a different cable. It's remotely possible that there is a tolerance stack-up issue when using your GPS with this cable. Since you probably have other USB cables in your home, or can borrow one from a friend, it's a quick, easy, and inexpensive check to run, and at a minimum will eliminate one possible cause.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

ET /Tom -
Clarification - different devices connected to usb ports with their respective cables.

Next step - as suggested will try a different cable from another device with the TomTom to see if that makes a difference.

May be necessary to hard boot your device, unless this was already accomplished per your note "Followed steps in other posts - Rebooted Via1535TM".

Hold down the power button for ~20 seconds until you see the TomTom logo and hear the drums, then quickly release the power button.

If you HAVE already done this, another question: When you plug the unit in, do you hear the USB connect DONG-ding sound? Need to find out if it's even being recognized on the USB side, much less being converted to a NIC device through the bridge driver.

See if the attached utility (usbdeview) indicates that the device is being connected at all. It all installs and runs from its own folder.

Attachments

• usbdeview.zip
    69.6 KB · Views: 407
May be necessary to hard boot your device, d down the power button for ~20 seconds until you see the TomTom logo and hear the drums, then quickly release the power button.

If you HAVE already done this, another question: When you plug the unit in, do you hear the USB connect DONG-ding sound? Need to find out if it's even being recognized on the USB side, much less being converted to a NIC device through the bridge driver.

See if the attached utility (usbdeview) indicates that the device is being connected at all. It all installs and runs from its own folder.

1. Yes have hard booted it numerous times.

2. There is no sound produced when connecting the Device.

3. Already had usbdeview installed. It shows that Via1535TM has been connected in the past. But not currently active. Deleting it from the list and then connecting it show no Device connected. [Have run some other similar utilities that report same, SIW for example].

Other: When I first got it, I was able to connect it, download updated maps, register it and enter activation code.

I have also used another Laptop to try to connect the TomTom Via1535TM to it and followed all the above steps to no avail.

Really this is the first time I have been stumped like this on a tech issue and I have been messing around with tech, since I got a Tandy 1000 in 1985 for my business.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry - forgot the earlier part of the thread!

Geez - hate to keep screwing around with this since it works otherwise, but as you have the TM, you'll be wanting to update maps soon... and what I'm going to suggest is something normally reserved for 'bricked' units, but if you can't get the maps you are owed, it's not much better. I assume this unit is still under warranty? If so, forge ahead...

There's only ONE more thing that we can do that could conceivably help you in any way (apart from reminding of the Tech Support number to get an RMA and return it for replacement, of course)... and that's to try to force the thing to the previous good code load. If this doesn't work, you'll be stuck at the previous code version because if it won't resurrect your USB connection, you can't even connect to get current code.

Ready? Turn unit on. Hold down the power button - but it will be for a good bit longer than 20 seconds this time. Watch carefully for a black and white diagnostic screen to appear, and IMMEDIATELY release the button and press it three times in quick succession. That will cause the unit to attempt to reload the last known production version of code.

Once that has happened, try again to connect your unit to your computer. If it DOES connect, you'll be offered the newer version of code again. If it DOES NOT connect, you're really no worse off apart from being a bit down rev on the code, but next I'm afraid you'll want to get that unit sent back for one with a functional USB connection.

If it comes to that...

1-866-486 6866
Monday - Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST

Sorry - forgot the earlier part of the thread!

There's only ONE more thing that we can do that could conceivably help you in any way (apart from reminding of the Tech Support number to get an RMA and return it for replacement, of course)... and that's to try to force the thing to the previous good code load. If this doesn't work, you'll be stuck at the previous code version because if it won't resurrect your USB connection, you can't even connect to get current code.

Ready? Turn unit on. Hold down the power button - but it will be for a good bit longer than 20 seconds this time. Watch carefully for a black and white diagnostic screen to appear, and IMMEDIATELY release the button and press it three times in quick succession. That will cause the unit to attempt to reload the last known production version of code.

Once that has happened, try again to connect your unit to your computer. If it DOES connect, you'll be offered the newer version of code again. If it DOES NOT connect, you're really no worse off apart from being a bit down rev on the code, but next I'm afraid you'll want to get that unit sent back for one with a functional USB connection.

If it comes to that...

1-866-486 6866

Thanks for that additional tidbit! Will try that tomorrow and report back the results. At least we are leaving a trail of crumbs for any others that may have had similar problems.

At least it is fun for the experience. So far have had pretty good luck, only had to RMA a stick of Ram for this computer. Had the new one in less than 24 hours from Dell US support. Did brick a Netgear Router/AP while updating firmware, but found a solution via Google. Had to telnet into it via DOS and upgrade the firmware that way, which was successful. So my luck had to take a turn at some point.

Thanks for your help and quick responses. It is really appreciated!!

If it comes to that...

1-866-486 6866

Been busy the last couple of days.

Tried the above to reset to previous good code to no avail. Guess it is time to call TomTom.

I really like the unit and its features and it has performed well. But did pay for the Lifetime Maps and that is important to me as there is a lot of change going on in the the Seattle/Tacoma area and I am new here.

Again, I do really appreciate all of your help! Thank you.

Wish we could have actually solved something, but that's all the tricks we have at our disposal. Sounds like either a USB connector failure of a failure on the board somewhere.

I think the problem is with the device software. Go into the device manager on your computer and uninstall the tomtom, then connect your device and it will automaticly reinstall the device software. I had to do this to get mine to work properly.

He's not seeing the device in Device Manager ... either as a USB device (which would be a problem) or a NIC card (which is how these newer units should be found)... so there's nothing to uninstall.

Wanted to add to this thread the solution: Finally called TomTom Support, after trying a few things to no avail, the Tech thought it could be the USB Cable and sent one to me. Only took a couple of days.

As I am typing this - the Device is being recognized in Device Manager as a Network Device and I am downloading and installing updates and new maps.

tl:dr: Problem was the USB Cable.

Thank you to all for your help in solving this problem! Very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Just for anyone else that may stumble upon this thread, just wanted to post solution:
The fault was the USB Cable. Called Support and they sent a new one.

Maps/updates being installed as I type.

Last edited:

Ask a Question